AAISP

Summary: Excellent
July 30th, 2012 (Last Edited: July 30th, 2012)
AAISP may appear to cost a little more but it's definitely a case of getting what you paid for. I was tired of dodgy connections, traffic shaping, blocked ports and patronising, dumbed-down service, so I was pleased to find AAISP.

I've been extremely satisfied with the service so far. The line is stable and up 100%. I'm provided with fine-grained information about my line and usage. The static IP and the lack of filtering and traffic-shaping means I feel like I'm actually connected to the Internet, rather than being granted limited permission to access it.

What little customer support I've needed has been prompt and precise. There's a general air of competence about everyone I've come into contact with.

If you want an ISP that treats you like a peer, then AAISP comes very highly recommended.

Also, my welcome pamphlet had a picture of a cat on the front. :D
Review Ratings
Summary: Superlative!
July 28th, 2012 (Last Edited: July 28th, 2012)
I joined AAISP after Christmas 2010. I had always thought Entanet a good ISP until I tried to leave them. Problems getting the MAC code and then they tried to continue charging me after I had left. Support very poor and pro BT.
I went to AAISP initially because of their “we will fix your line offer, if we don’t, leave & owe us nothing”
I have nothing but praise for AAISP. My connection is still rubbish most of the time after twenty engineer visits from Openreach and the replacement of two sections of underground cable, one of Aluminium and one of Copper.
It is a refreshing change to deal with a company that is honest, straightforward and completely open as far as their dealing with their customers and their suppliers is concerned.
How fast is this ISP? 100% of what BT give them.
I always feel it is unfair to rate ISPs on speed when the problem may be due to their suppliers. AAISP do nothing to throttle connections and ALL my problems are due 100% to BT. Openreach try to blame BT Wholesale & vice versa. Until BT are forced to charge for the level of service they supply instead of “up to figures” coupled with a no promises, take it or leave it attitude, this situation will continue.
How much does this ISP cost compared with similar offers? I am not aware of ANY similar offers.
AAISP are not the cheapest but I know exactly what I’m paying for. It’s all about SUPPORT and when BT are involved that is what you need. I honestly cannot think of anything they could do to improve either their website or their support.
Review Ratings
Summary: End to end thoroughness
July 27th, 2012 (Last Edited: July 27th, 2012)
I swapped to A&A last February. My previous provider was Zen, who were excellent. I jumped because lightning zapped my Draytek and FTTC with a free router was cheaper to install than adding another to my pile of fried routers. At the time I believed that Zen would not consider supplying FTTC in locations where BT's availability checker indicated less than 12Mbit/sec. After I'd reached a point of no return in the swap Zen did tell me that long slow lines were OK really.

My old Zen line maxed out at 512Kbits/sec download and sometimes spent days losing sync every four minutes. We'd more or less reached the end of the road in persuading local BT management to do anything to fix things. I live in an isolated old farm 2Km from the cabinet and another 5Km to the exchange, so you can appreciate a degree of Openreach reluctance when it comes to spending money on it.

I have just come out the end of a service episode with a big smile on my face. After politely enquiring by email for a trick to encourage the FTTC to retrain at a higher speed A&A were onto it like a staffie terrier. In spite of my initial apathy surrounding any attempt to get Openreach to look at mere speed problems, they booked a customer visit from Openreach who found and replaced a noisy section of copper about a Kilometer away. I don't know how A&A do it, but a good Openreach tech with the right equipment is a minor miracle in itself. It is still slow, but twice as fast as yesterday.

Good as Zen were, I was pleasantly surprised by A&A right from the start. Everything is so open and direct.

Their control pages are awesome, they sniff line quality all the time and show the results. They gave me a /29 block of IP4. Their IP6 support is top. Mail and phone support is only 9 to 5 with the basic fees, but IRC holds some pleasant surprises if you can handle the level of geek wit from the other customers. They use uk.net.providers.aaisp to keep you informed of general problems.

You pay for every bit you download. Weekday 0900-1800 is priced to discourage wholesale leeching, but every other time is fine. The pricing sums up everything about A&A. There is no sleight of hand. No caps, no weaselly block of usenet in the daytime, no sneaky throttling. They show planned engineering work on their site. They admit their own mistakes. They have a robust attitude to government spying.

It is hard not to like 'em.
Review Ratings
Summary: First Week
July 5th, 2012 (Last Edited: July 5th, 2012)
Been with AAISP for just over a week now.

I used to (a still do for a short while) have a Virgin Media connection (50mb) but it just became too unstable with issues for 6 of the last 12 months on and off.
It got so bad I couldn't even use SSH to manage remote devices without keystrokes going missing or being severely delayed making it almost impossible to use.
I'd often have to tether my 3G connection to get any work done.

So having decided to switch and FTTC being enabled in my area I set about looking for an ISP and settled on AAISP.

Signup with AAISP went well, the Openreach engineer arrived at exactly the time specified, I believe a few people have issues with them doing no-shows, but couldn't have gone smoother for me.

I'm getting 37.3Mb down / 8.3Mb up on speed tests (using 40/10 FTTC line) and I haven't even started tweaking interleave settings and MTUs yet.

Pros:
IPv6 range and static IPv4 address(es).
Ability to tweak line settings like interleave, mtu etc.
Customisable network graphs.
Virtually no packet loss and low latency (especially compared to my old VM link)
* Before: VM - http://i.imgur.com/np4hB.png
* After: AAISP - http://i.imgur.com/QJM6F.png
Their philosophy on internet filtering.
No throttling. If you want to use all your transfer budget on torrents then that's your choice.
xkcd.com/806 compliance.

Cons:
Non really, early days but I'm not expecting any issues.
No good if you are a torrent-happy mega-downloader, but you probably knew that already.

I'm glad I made the switch because:
* I'm saving money (about £8pcm over VM)
* The link has worked 100% of the time so far.
* I get full bandwidth 24x7, it doesn't slow down in the evening which is when I do a lot of work from home.
* I can remotely manage servers and networks.
Review Ratings
Summary: Great support
May 3rd, 2012 (Last Edited: May 3rd, 2012)
AAISP have been very helpful on the two occasions I have had to use their tech support.

First, they got my line upgraded to 21CN after our exchange had been upgraded but before all lines were automatically upgraded. They dealt with BT when they hadn't actually done the job properly.

Second, when I was setting up native IPv6 on my router. I didn't have things quite right on their control panel or my router. They sorted out the control panel and advised me what to do at me end. Within just a few emails everything was working fine.

Thoroughly recommended if you want an ISP that knows what they're doing.