AAISP

Summary: The best
December 5th, 2011 (Last Edited: December 5th, 2011)
I'm on BT's infamous Poplar exchange (LNPOP) which is arguably the worst in the country, presumably due to overcrowding from Canary Wharf, a very high local population density, and the Olympics), and despite being less than 1500m from the exchange have consistently suffered poor throughput - typically 1.5-2.5Mb/s for the last 7 or so years. Not even ZenADSL, who are a great ISP, could do anything about this despite a lot of effort on my and their part. In desperation I reluctantly left them and migrated to Orange for their spare LLU capacity - general consensus on the forums at the time was that LLU was generally a lot better, and Orange were estimating they could get me around 9Mb/s. But it was a total nightmare. Orange are utterly incompetent and I wasted hours wading through Indian call centres, getting treated like a complete novice (I am an IT professional) before getting through to a technical support team which could only play the buck-passing game with BT, were not often sympathetic, and sometimes even plain rude. Eventually I got them to admit that that estimate was way off and that they had missold the package to me.

Finally one day I discovered A&A, and in particular their "We'll Fix Your Line" offer:

and since then all has been sweetness and light. Their technical support is superb and personal (you never feel like they are in a rush to get you off the phone before the problem is resolved), the speeds are way better, and they give you an AWESOME web interface with more details about your service than you could ever dream of. The CQM graphs are incredibly useful. I recently switched from a fairly average BT WBC backhaul (~3.5Mb/s) to a BE backhaul, and now my download throughput is around 6Mb/s which, while not amazing relative to many parts of the country, is pretty good for this area where many people are still struggling with less than 1Mb/s. Additionally they are aggressively pushing their upstream providers and modem router vendors to improve IPv6 support, and are leading the field in this respect.

Sure, I pay a premium for this quality of service (A&A don't have the economies of scale of the larger ISPs), but I rely on this service too much for that to be a major worry. Generally with ISPs in the UK I've found that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

In summary I'd recommend A&A to anyone willing to pay a bit extra for quality, but particularly to highly technical users (even their director is a hardcore hacker - check his blog at http://revk.www.me.uk/) and to anyone who has line quality issues which their current ISP is unable or unwilling to resolve.
Review Ratings
Summary: Deserving of their reputation...
November 18th, 2011 (Last Edited: November 18th, 2011)
If you are browsing the web looking for a ISP to switch to, AAISP should certainly be considered; they are possibly the best ISP in the UK at the moment. I chose A&A when I moved recently. RM unsurprisingly botched the delivery of the Billion router (which is offered free, and retails at nearly _£150_), however once connected, A&A activated our ADSL service within 5 minutes of paying the usual connection fee. So far, a solid, dependable service, 7800 down and 488 up (on dodgy 80s copper, carrying ~8200), with _very_ low latency.

Although I live in an ADSL20 area, A&A also offer connections on ADSL21, Be, FTTP etc at prices based on usage rather than the "possible" connection speed or indeed the type of connection.

Not only this, they also include (limited) web/email hosting, a block of static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, the best customer support going, they don't censor the web, they don't use NAT, and more and more and more.

Prices are in units which can be confusing at first, but it roughly works out that 1 unit = 1 1/4GB between the hours of 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday, and 50gb at all other times. For those who are in the office, or otherwise not sitting around on the web during working hours, you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, you may need to limit your daytime usage - it's quite easy, with some light browsing and a couple of YouTube videos, to use well in excess of 150mb over a couple of hours, and at £3-£4 a unit, that could get very pricey.
Review Ratings
Summary: No problems so far...
November 9th, 2011 (Last Edited: November 9th, 2011)
AAISP aren't the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. After having had flaky Virgin cable and O2 DSL, I currently have a Be line from AAISP and it Just Works(TM). Internet you don't have to think about. The way it should be :-)
Review Ratings
Summary: Excellent customer service
November 5th, 2011 (Last Edited: November 5th, 2011)
I've been with Andrew's and Arnold for nearly two years now. I've always had consistant speeds and good latency.

They have been far more reliable than any of my other ISP's and when I recently had a problem with poor connection speeds they responded to my complaint very very quickly. Turned out BT were upgrading but hadn't bothered to tell anyone!

First class communication and all too happy to help. Far better than others who only take action when you threaten to leave!

The limits are very good too and its easy to swap and changed from one product to another.
You certainly get what you pay for.
Review Ratings
Summary: Awesome service!
October 17th, 2011 (Last Edited: October 17th, 2011)
If like me you are trawling the net and researching which ISP to gamble on AAISP is the place to be!

My criteria was a new connection which offered a 1 month contract with the best usage/price ratio.

After reading some good reviews on this site and others, I took the leap and signed up with AAISP.

Having moved to a new flat in a town where cable wasn't available, I expected a sizable drop in performance. Prior to ordering a phone line I was quoted as getting between 7mb-17mb with an average of 12mb. I was reasonably happy with this but once the new line was connected and tested the predicted line speed dropped. Tests on the phone line predicted an average of 5-7mb.

Deciding to go through with the install (which included a free pre-configured router), I was pleasantly surprised to be receiving a slightly higher speed at around 9mb. A few days down the line and this speed had increased substantially to 15mb down and 1mb up.

A month down the line and i'm still receiving this great speed with no downtime as of yet!

Regarding the slightly scary unit system used by AAISP, it's a case of trial and error on how much you will need. I started off with an order of 4 units at £26/month. Having started the contract halfway through the month I was given a pro rata amount until the month end. When the new month began I was happy to learn my left over units (0.58) were carried forward.

It is now the 17th October (over halfway through the month) and I have 3.55 of my 4 units remaining. Bearing in mind I consider myself a medium-heavy user with regular downloading and streaming this is brilliant.

One thing I would say AAISP is best suited to those using their connection at off peak times (6pm-9am & weekends).
To illustrate this I currently have 1.7gb of peak usage (9am-6pm) which equals 0.7 units. This usage includes mainly browsing with the odd YouTube video, so you can see how heavy usage can quickly use up units.
In contrast I have downloaded just under 33gb off peak (between 6pm-9am & weekends)which converts to 0.33 units. Essentially I could download 400gb/month if I didn't use my connection between 9-6. With my current rate of usage I am considering dropping down units to 3 (about £23/month).

I cannot comment on customer service as I haven't had any problems however I have received numerous courtesy emails ensuring i'm happy with the service.

Overall I have to mark AAISP 10/10 across the board as the service has gone beyond my expectations at a price more competitive than the other ISPs I considered.