Sponsored

Origin Broadband

Summary: NOT Worth persevering
September 25th, 2015 (Last Edited: January 22nd, 2018)
2018, january: my mistake being so generous! It is NOT worth persevering; i renewed my contract and I regret it. Billing is chaos, customer service does not answer a complaint 3 months old; endless half hour waits on the phone, and then a week later start again from the beginning as they've taken no notes and not proceeded to do anything to resolve the issues. Beware, if it seems they are starting to improve, it's because your contract is due for renewal and you're through to SALES. But go somewhere else because there really is NO IMPROVEMENT. Appalling customer service, endless loops of frustration, no progress.

THis is a 2017 update to my 2015 review,
After reading another reviewer who stuck with them, and who said that after 2 months it is much better, I did the same, and it worked out. They improved. I am changing my review now to highest rating, because Origin is so much better than the competition. It's all about context. And in the context of this market, they are excellent. Truly unlimited usage, (not like Plusnet) and great speed. Yes there are problems and the first tier technical help is atrocious and you can wait online for 30 minutes, but at the end, you're through to Yorkshire. Grand! And technical always sort the problem out. Good router with package also. Best of the bunch, good price.

this was my 2015 experience, sadly:
disorganized and incompetent
I was eager to try Origin after I read the positive reviews like SmileyMatey: who said he had a seamless transfer, and dedicated person to help through the phone and broadband transition and keep you informed, general excellent service. My experience has not been like that at all.

To start I could not get clear pricing information from the website what the cost of Super Saver line rental would be with Fibre Broadband, so I telephoned. That person on the phone told me to email, they could not answer the question. I emailed, 24 hours later a reply giving me a price for the wrong kind of Fibre. So I phoned again, still wanting to sign up, this other person says the email price was wrong and then it goes back and forth for a few days back and forth to various people on phone and on email no one can give me a clear price on SuperSaver line rental with Fibre broadband: some say VAT is included and some give the same price and say it isn’t. Also they can’t give me a clear price on phone plans, routers, or ISP. Instead of walking away, I decide to give them a chance because they are a small UK company with UK call center, I want to support that, and sign up.

At best I would say they are very inconsistent and disorganized. Real shame.
Review Ratings
Summary: I don't know what is worse
January 14th, 2018 (Last Edited: January 14th, 2018)
...the service itself, or the customer service.

Regular drops in connectivity, waiting times on the "customer service" line of an hour and more (and that's *before* actually getting to speak to anyone, to be clear), customer service staff who think nothing of lying to customers or terminating a call (at least three times in my experience), and a complaints department who appear to have no interest in dealing with customer complaints.

Apparently it is also "standard industry practice" to extend your contract if you move house (people in rented accommodation take note!), *and* to charge you a fee for the "privilege" of being locked into using an ISP with the, in my experience, terrible service offered by Origin for another 12 months! I don't care if that is "standard practice", it is a *terrible* practice. In Origin's case, it is probably the only way they have any kind of customer retention.
Review Ratings
Summary: Exceptionally poor service
January 3rd, 2018 (Last Edited: January 3rd, 2018)
Exceptionally poor service. Ineffective at dealing with slow speeds (at 6-7mbps vs. advertised 38mbps every single day). At this point I have endured a month of brick wall responses. If you are thinking of dealing with this provider, move along as they are very very poor.
Review Ratings
Summary: What was once so good has gone down the drain
November 19th, 2017 (Last Edited: November 19th, 2017)
I have been with Origin broadband for 2 years 3 months. For the first 2 years I was on a 78Mb fibre package (I was actually receiving 63Mb, but that was the line limit and I was very happy with that). I've got to say it was almost faultlessly fantastic, not a single complaint, so much so that this August (2017), I signed up for a 2 year 38Mb package, I was offered a supersaver discount... I.E pay 2 years upfront for a 30% discount, which equated to £430. Shortly afterwards I received an email to say Origin were "upgrading their hardware",

Since this "upgrade" I've been subjected to speeds of between 0.6 - 5Mbps almost every evening with ping above 130ms so totally useless for streaming, downloading and online gaming. Customer service should be renamed "Lip service" as they're very polite and amenable, but totally ineffectual.

On top of that they've "mistakenly" debited my bank account by a further total of £430 in 3 billing errors, which then takes 10-14 days to refund, I wonder if I'd not spotted these errors would they have rectified them themselves?

I had nothing but praise for Origin originally, but now suspect the company will be going under soon as it really has gone to the dogs.

This week after 11 appaling weeks of "service" I'll be getting a visa chargeback on the balance of my £430 "supersaver" and moving on which is a pity as I really LIKE to support smaller ISPs, but I can only have the p!ss taken for so long.
Review Ratings
Summary: Shocking
November 12th, 2017 (Last Edited: November 12th, 2017)
Origin broadband is one of the worst iproviders I have been with.
Service took ages to setup. Phone line was never setup correctly couldn’t even use 1471 I was diverted to BT although I was with Origin. Customer services is appalling. Ain’t *ot a clue wat they are talking about. Their tech advisor did not even know what an isp was. Never again
Sponsored