Sponsored

128k (midband)

jester44

Casual Member
has NDO any plans to bring out this package, i know you have 125hrs etc for 19.99, but any chance of a true MIDBAND product being released??

NDO

ISP Rep
We are currently looking into the full details of midband and what packages we could offer in the future.

Our AnyTime128 package works out at just £0.23p a hour at ISDN128 (including the subscription cost to HomeHighway); Midband wourks our currently at around £0.43p an hour. So our AnyTime128 package offers better value for money already.

jester44

Casual Member
NDO said:
We are currently looking into the full details of midband and what packages we could offer in the future.

Our AnyTime128 package works out at just £0.23p a hour at ISDN128 (including the subscription cost to HomeHighway); Midband wourks our currently at around £0.43p an hour. So our AnyTime128 package offers better value for money already.
did i miss that on your site?
inclusive of HH sub, is this the 128k @125hr package or am i barking up the wrong tree.

i did try ur 128k package @125hrs for £19.99 as you may be aware i cancelled this due to misinformation or a misunderstanding i think sounds better. So in a nutshell what hrs per month @128k access can you provide and if you say this package includes homehighway subs how does that work out as that is usually paid directly to BT.

Thanx

Last edited:

NDO

ISP Rep
The figure quoted was including HH subs - but as these are not included in any of our packages as they have to be paid directly to BT.

The £0.23 figure was derived from adding the homehighway subs ~£25 to the package subs ~£20 giving a figure of £45. This when divided by the 125 hours included in the package - gives roughly £0.23 a hour for ISDN 128k.

The packages we can supply for ISDN 128 Access are -
: Home AnyTime128 - includes 125hours @128k or 250hours @64k - this costs £19.99 a month, including VAT.

: Business AnyTime - includes 150hours @128k or 300 hours @64k and also an availability SLA (plus extra mailboxes, CLI check is removable etc...) - this costs £29.99 a month, excluding VAT.

You are also to come back to our 128k package anytime hopefully the details of which are now much clearer.

gpadela

Pro Member
midband - BT v NDO

I can't follow NDO's mathematical rationale re hourly costs of 128k. As far as I can work things out, minus the cost of HomeHighway it costs
£19.99 per month for 125 hours - NDO
£10.00 per month for 75 hours - BT

This means that NDO costs £10.00 for 62.5 hours.

So:-
£10.00 per month for 62.5 hours - NDO
£10.00 per month for 75 hours - BT

According to my maths, this means that BT is a lot cheaper than NDO - and much cheaper than all the other ISPs offering 128k.

gpadela

jester44

Casual Member
thanx for your fast reply as always, however i need more than 125hr, the current prices for isdn 128k + 125hrs are a tad too high for what hours you get, as for BT their offering of midband is a total joke IMHO, ADSL for £18.99 ive seen and isdn well no need to go over old ground suffice to say there's a huge gap to be filled.

any idea if and when NDO will be offering a better midband deal??
---------------
even though at this time NDO does not cater for my needs i have linked your site via my adsl campaign, just incase anyone else may find your packages of use ;)

Last edited:

Armengar

for 128k

(20+25)/125=0.36 pounds per hour
(35)/75=0.46 pounds per hour

for 64k then halve them

(20+25)/250 = 0.18 pounds per hour
(35)/150=0.23 pounds per hour

gpadela

Pro Member
128k costs

Ta muchly Armengar for the maths! Thanks also for correcting the error NDO made a few days ago when he/she/they said that the costs of their
AnyTime128 package was £0.23 per hour compared to
BT's Midband package @ £0.43 per hour!

You were right:-
(20+25)/125=0.36 pounds per hour (NDO)
(35)/75=0.46 pounds per hour (BT)

But your calculations (and NDO's too) take into consideration the BT HomeHighway monthly fee (£25). Using this method means that you are including HH costs in your hourly pricing. If you ignore that (being that it's included in both options anyway) the results are slightly different, i.e.:
20/125 = £0.16 per hour (NDO)- £10.00 per month for 62.5 hours
10/75 = £0.13 per hour (BT) - £10.00 per month for 75 hours

Why ignore the HH monthly fee? Because HomeHighway offers other options apart from ISP. With HomeHighway you have TWO lines rather than ONE, which means that you can make voice calls/send faxes while you are surfing. Also ISDN is a lot faster than the old system - you are connected almost instantly rather than wait c.30 secs via the 56k modem; also surfing at 64k is a lot faster than at 56k (because the efficiency of the 56k system is not always 100%!).

So, should the HH monthly fee be included in the calculations? Take your pick!

What ISP offers the cheapest 128k deal? According to my research, Quik Internet is by far the cheapest. They offer 300 hours a month for £30 (and you can have that 300 hours for £17.50 off peak). So using the same 24/7 criteria as above, we shall now compare 3 ISP's!:-
£10.00 per month for 62.5 hours (NDO)
£10.00 per month for 75 hours (BT Midband)
£10.00 per month for 100 hours (Quik)

One final comment. If Quik can offer 128k 300 hours 24/7 for £30 a month, why can't they offer 128k 150 hours 24/7 for £15 a month? I'm sure if they did so, they would be flooded by applications to join - their customer numbers would increase dramatically.

Shall we all send e-mails to Quik suggesting that they do this?!!!

gpadela

gpadela

Pro Member
128k n- Quik

NDO wrong once again!!!

If you go to Quik's AUP (Acceptable Usage Policy) - http://www.quikinternet.co.uk/terms.php - you will find the folowing:-
Quik Internet reserve the right to discontinue service to any user of the unmetered service if the user;
Exceeds 150 hours of usage in any one month (56k/64k packages)
Exceeds 300 hours of usage in any one month (128k packages)
That to me confirms what I said earlier, i.e. that their 128k £30 a month package offers 300 hours.

Though to be fair to NDO, there is some confusion on the Quik pages! During the sign up process for the £30 package you are presented with the AUP, but the wording is different to that quoted above.
Unmetered service
Quik Internet reserve the right to discontinue service to any user of the unmetered service if the user;
- Exceeds 150 hours of usage in any one month
So I think we should take NDO's advice and give Quik a call!!!

gpadela

poohbare

Casual Member
I too found Quicks AUP misleading, so I 'e,d' them and got this :-
Dear Sir / Madam
Thank you for your enquiry, to clarify, 300 hours means 300hours if you use the dual package at 64K or 150 hours using the package at 128K.
This confirms NDO's post.

btw , is Mediaways really 'that' bad ?

CRONIK

ULTIMATE Member
Mediaways might well be the carrier - but it's the people who connect you to them who matter the most.
Exactly the point, now with this point in mind maybe most of the ISP's should condsider this rather than constantly blaming Mediaways all the time when something goes wrong LIKE Giointernet. (I dont correspond that comment with NDO) I have to say that I have tried 20-30 ISP's in my time and find that Gio is the worst and I will give them as bad publicity as much as I can, reason for this is because they ripped me off!

Web Buddy

I have been trying to get a legal clarification on AUP's. My view is they are a guidance document and have no legal standing as in most cases they do not form part of the contract.
Where they do form part of the contract. Normally by referencing them, they probably fall foul of the Unfair terms and contract legislation as ISP's have a habit of changing them without informing their customers. If the ISP's invokes the AUP in their T&C's it then forms part of the contract, so they have to notify you of changes to it. Of course ISP's never do.

poohbare said:
I too found Quicks AUP misleading, so I 'e,d' them and got this :-
Dear Sir / Madam
Thank you for your enquiry, to clarify, 300 hours means 300hours if you use the dual package at 64K or 150 hours using the package at 128K.
This confirms NDO's post.

btw , is Mediaways really 'that' bad ?

joe pattinson

Casual Member
You can have all the sla,s under the sun, but if you live in scotland and subscribe to an Isp who uses mediaways, you will not receive an acceptable service. Any mediaways based Isp that I have used has had an extremely high level of busy line signals compared to the telco,s used by plusnet and clara, with whom I have had no problems whatsoever.I do not blame Isp,s like NDO who try to provide quality service to their customers.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2768)
  2. FTTP (2746)
  3. FTTC (1783)
  4. Building Digital UK (1740)
  5. Politics (1662)
  6. Openreach (1619)
  7. Business (1429)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1221)
  11. Fibre Optic (1062)
  12. 4G (1052)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1014)
  15. Virgin Media (1004)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (666)
  19. TalkTalk (661)
  20. 5G (514)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules