Sponsored Links

15gb Limits ???

Hi,

I thought I share you the following and will be greatful if you could offer any advise.
Thanks,
mar

=================================
Email sent to freeserve via online form.
=================================

Hi,

Subject: Please confirm formally that my account has unlimited service at £19.99 per month

I have been a Freeserve member for a number of years, and upgraded from Freeserve Anytime to Freeserve Broadband on Sunday 25th April at £19.99 (special price for loyal members), on the confirmation that there are no cap on services. Received pack on Wed 28th April 2004 (letter dated 27th April 2004), and just got connected (Sunday, 9th May 2004), even though I was told that my line will be activated on 10th May 2004.

Called freeserve (Wannado) today, 9th May 2004, got my username and after few calls have been confirmed that I do NOT HAVE 15GB LIMITS on my usage.

Because of different response from different people over the phone, I will be grateful if you could confirm in email and/or in writing that I will receive an unlimited service at £19.99 per month.

Also, for the sake of clarification, will appreciate if you could confirm when does my 14 days cancellation period starts and end bearing in mind that I have started using my service now and as of yet, did not received any email informing me that ‘Broadband connection has been activated’ as stated on http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/broadbandfaq.htm. I have no intention of cancellation provided that I do not have any limits on my services.

Thanks,
MAR
ACCOUNT DETAILS

-------------------
P.S.

If you would like to read full story, please read below:

I have been Freeserve Anytime member for almost or may be more than two years. Never really had any serious problem and enjoyed the experience of internet.

Recently, I decided to go for broadband and was looking for a service provider who is cheaper and ideally, less than 12 month contract, which freeserve did not offer.

On March 2004, I called freeserve to cancel my anytime account. When I called, a gentleman informed me of a special offer of £19.99 to loyal customers. It was bit a shock to me and I informed him that I need time to think about it. He listened and offered me 1 month free anytime internet access to make up my mind.

During this month, I was extremely busy and could not think about it. So I called again on 25th March and a gentleman (called ‘Dan’) gave me another month free offer to think about. I accepted but then I was charged for it. I called again and I was informed that I will get a refund after few days, which I did.

During this month, I thought about the offer and called on Sunday 25th April 2004 and upgraded to freeserve broadband at £19.99 per month on a 12 month contract. During the conversation, she confirmed the following:

- There are no cap or limit to the services. Freeserve then did not do this sort of things then.
- I have 14 days to cancel if I do not like it.
- It normally takes only 48 hours to get activated.
- I will get refunded on my Freeserve Anytime account when my Broadband is activated
- I will still have Freeserve Anytime for 20 days FREE OF CHARGE once my broadband is up and running.

I accepted and upgraded. I received an email saying my personal details have been changed on my hotmail account.

On 28th April 2004 (letter dated 27th April 2004), I received freeserve broadband package and installed it on my system. The ‘ADSL’ status was flashing and hence line was not activated. I called freeserve and they informed that my line will be activated on Monday 10th May 2004.

Today (Sunday 9th May 2004), I decided to connect everything again and to my surprise I got solid green status on my modem. I decided to connect using my freeserve anytime username and password, but I got an error message saying my username and/or password is incorrect. So, I called freeserve and got a correct username and it worked.

During the conversation, I asked about the 15 GB (which I read it somewhere) and wanted gentleman to confirm that I do not have any limits. He asked me to ‘hold on’ while he asks his supervisor. He came back and confirmed that I have 15 GB limits. I said that this should not be the case, as the lady confirmed that there were no caps on services. I only heard about it last week and hence, asking.

Also, I said that if that is the case, I have 14 days to cancel it. He said that I only have one or two days to cancel. It just did not make sense. My line just got activated (in truth, it should be activated on Monday 10th May 2004), where are my 14 days?

Anyway, I decided to investigate this issue, and consulted http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/broadbandfaq.htm. I found the followings:

QOUTATION 1:

“..What will happen during the Broadband installation?

Within 10 days of your registration with the service, Wanadoo will send you an email informing you that your Broadband connection has been activated and that you can install the modem and connect using the username and password provided.

To install the modem simply follow the instructions supplied with your modem.

Remember to install our software before plugging your modem in…”

I did not receive such email as of today.

QOUTATION 2::

“..I already have Broadband from Wanadoo. Will my service be affected?

…If you joined Broadband with Freeserve before 28 April 2004 then your service will remain entirely unaffected by the new Broadband products and you will continue to receive an unlimited service.

Once you move to any of the new services, then you will no longer have an unlimited service. You will receive the usage allowance relevant to your new service...”

I joined on Sunday 25th April 2004.

Equipped with formal clarification, I called freeserve and spoke to a gentleman. When he initially answered phone, he said his name is ‘BRIAN’.

I tried to explain my situation to ‘BRIAN’ but he responded in a robotic fashion saying that if I have joined recently, then my account has a 15gb limit, and since my line has already been activated I do not have 14 days to cancel my account. He was in a rush if you like. He also reiterated that he really cannot do anything about it – I am doomed on a 12 month contract.

By this time, I requested him to allow me to speak to his manager and to confirm his name again. This time he said his name was ‘IAN’. Now, he wanted to know my account details and confirmed that I will be paying £19.99. He also requested me to hold on the line while he speaks to his supervisor about the 15 GB limits. He came back after a minute or so, and confirmed that my account do not have limit.

In summary, after all this, he confirmed that I will be paying £19.99 with no limits for 512k broadband service.

I requested him to confirm this through email and he said they cannot do this. Hence, I am sending this email to confirm and will be grateful if could respond in writing (email and/or letter).

Post Extras

So are you basically saying that you were given 2 months of unlimited Anytime access FOC to give you time too make a decision, plus an additional 20 days usage at no charge after you were broadband activated which happened within the time-scale indicated, plus you’re only paying £19.99 per month for a totally uncapped 512k service, for which you didn’t have to pay any connection/activation fee plus you were given a free ADSL modem plus free two filters.

Sponsored Links
paul45 said:
So are you basically saying that you were given 2 months of unlimited Anytime access FOC to give you time too make a decision, plus an additional 20 days usage at no charge after you were broadband activated which happened within the time-scale indicated, plus you’re only paying £19.99 per month for a totally uncapped 512k service, for which you didn’t have to pay any connection/activation fee plus you were given a free ADSL modem plus free two filters.

I think I'll ring up and cancel my anytime account :D

paul45 said:

Yap....how can you refuse? :)

I just want no limits, that is all.

What an absolutely magnificent deal you managed to get from Freeserve.

From the information you supplied, plus my recollection of the T&Cs at the time of you ordering Broadband, I’m quite sure that you have NO usage limit whatsoever imposed on your service.

On cautionary note, I doubt very much that Wanadoo will renew your contract on the same terms in 12 months time.
Although if they’re keen to keep you as a customer, then who knows what they’ll be prepared to give you as an incentive to stay.

Another point to bear in mind, is that they (as any company can) could change the T&Cs to an existing contract.
However, if the change was such that it was to the customers detriment, the customer can then end the contract within a specific period of the change.

One final point, because your service/cost isn’t one of the standard Broadband services on offer, I’d be inclined to check the monthly statement of account via the member centre to ensure the payments remain the same during the term of the contract.
Any unexpected change would of course require immediate investigation on your part.

Can I ask you if you’ve tried the Broadband speed test over on:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
and if so, what results you obtain?
I put two people on Wanadoo 512k Broadband last week and both are continually getting actual speeds of 469/470k Down & 243k Up.
These figures seem impressive and so I wonder if they're simply getting an abnormally good service or if it’s typical of what other users are getting.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules