Sponsored Links

Bures

ULTIMATE Member
I have used 18866 for years very successfully.
Does anyone know of a similar provider which offers a cheap service but does not display "International" on a caller display
Trouble I told my parents who are getting on in years, not to answer calls that display Withheld, Unrecognised, International etc
Now of course they dont answer my 18866 calls, quite rightly !

I am not a BT land line customer

Hmm I think you'll struggle on that front because most similar services have been wiped out due to being economically difficult to sustain and the advent of cheap mobile phones and VoIP solutions like Skype. I'll be interested to know if anybody can find a solution to this one though.

Hmm I think you'll struggle on that front because most similar services have been wiped out due to being economically difficult to sustain and the advent of cheap mobile phones and VoIP solutions like Skype. I'll be interested to know if anybody can find a solution to this one though.

Looks like a dead end then Mark !

Sponsored Links
There is no HARM answering Intrnational calls, or any other for that matter,
the point is to hang up the moment someone tries to sell you something, or update your computer !
(Better still shout at them:)

Lately most of them have 'legitimate' UK landline No.s, not that Ofcom is doing anything about it..!!!

Got a just such a call today from 0113 3280180...well publicized scammer... google it !
Regards,
Martin

Unfortunately my inlaws will insist on answering all calls whatever they are and holding a bloomin conversation
They say its rude to hang up
I suspect in their late 80`s "its good to talk"
One word Despair !

It sounds like they might be lonely, I am a child of 60's and I quite happily hang up on the odd pest who gets through call screening.

I have found that most cold callers, even when calling from outside of the UK, will mask their number; so a phone like the Gigaset C620 can block or "silent call" it until they give up, by setting it to reject calls with no CLID.

I have gone from 5-6 spam calls a day to 1 every few weeks.

I have used 18866 for years very successfully.
Does anyone know of a similar provider which offers a cheap service but does not display "International" on a caller display
Trouble I told my parents who are getting on in years, not to answer calls that display Withheld, Unrecognised, International etc
Now of course they dont answer my 18866 calls, quite rightly !

I am not a BT land line customer

I use 1899 (same company I think?) and my landline number is displayed on people's caller display.

Sponsored Links
"I use 1899 (same company I think?)"
Yes, you're quite right - 1899, 18185 and 18866 are all the same company, something like "Finarea" (not sure of spelling), based in Switzerland.

The problem is the variables. Bures is not a BT landline customer, so he won't be just using the 18866 access code, he'll have to dial an 0800 or 0808 number - or maybe even a geographic (020?) number if calling from a mobile. That can upset things.
Who the person at the other end has their phone with can also make a difference. I recall a friend who was with 1899, but not via the direct code (they had a Virgin landline and used an 0808 number) telling me a few years ago that if they rang someone who was also with Virgin their proper home number showed up, but if they rang someone who had a BT landline it showed up at the other end as unrecognised.

My brain hurts. ;)

Unfortunately my inlaws will insist on answering all calls whatever they are and holding a bloomin conversation
They say its rude to hang up
I suspect in their late 80`s "its good to talk"
One word Despair !

Well, in a way, it's good thing to 'talk' to them as long as possible to;
1. Stop them pestering someone else.
2. Frustrate them to the point they will quit such a stupid job.
I do so when I have the time and inclination....,
or you can do as my 80+ chap next door does:
He ask them what colour knickers they are wearing, or if it is boxers or silk thong....,
apparently they always hang up ..?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules