Sponsored Links

2.5g Network switch recommendations

Thackers

Top Member
Looking for some recommendations for a budget 2.5gb network switch for home use
Ideally 6 ports + or replace my Netgear Gigabit.

Thanks in advance

Super happy with mine.

but considerably more expensive than the above linked one. Worth noting I paid £199 though not £259 if you can wait you might want to install an amazon tracking tool like keepa to keep an eye on prices. I've heard the QNAP 2.5Gbit switch is also good but no personal experience with it.

Sponsored Links
Mikrotik CRS310-8G+2S+IN

8 x 2.5G + 2 x 10G SFP+
RRP 219 USD

About a month to general availability or so I've been led to believe

Badly want 4x2.5 plus 4x10gb. i can't find anything suitable at reasonable prices (qnap basically doubled their prices on some of their combo port offerings)

Sponsored Links
Badly want 4x2.5 plus 4x10gb. i can't find anything suitable at reasonable prices (qnap basically doubled their prices on some of their combo port offerings)
Did you see the one I linked to. Its getting very good comments from tech people on youtube reviews. Its usually a 3/4 week wait from Aliexpress for delivery. Buy with paypal to get thier payment protection. And its only £60. You pay for tax upfront so no customs charges.

I now buy all my stuff from Aliexpress.

Did you see the one I linked to. Its getting very good comments from tech people on youtube reviews. Its usually a 3/4 week wait from Aliexpress for delivery. Buy with paypal to get thier payment protection. And its only £60. You pay for tax upfront so no customs charges.

I now buy all my stuff from Aliexpress.
I'd love something like that, but with VLAN capability. Can you recommend anything?

I'd love something like that, but with VLAN capability. Can you recommend anything?

This one says in the specs: "VLAN; YES"

So there is the 8 port version with model number: S1100W-8GT-SE and its £130 from there. I would say that is super cheap for a managed switch.

Or they have the 5 port version or an 8 port with Power over ethernet.

Sponsored Links

This one says in the specs: "VLAN; YES"

So there is the 8 port version with model number: S1100W-8GT-SE and its £130 from there. I would say that is super cheap for a managed switch.

Or they have the 5 port version or an 8 port with Power over ethernet.
At that point, I'd seriously consider the Mikrotik switch mentioned before

At that point, I'd seriously consider the Mikrotik switch mentioned before
But looking now its being sold for £216 compared to £130 for the other? £86 difference in price is quite significant if they both do the same thing.

But looking now its being sold for £216 compared to £130 for the other? £86 difference in price is quite significant if they both do the same thing.

141.30 vs 131.76, both excluding VAT. Granted delivery is more with Getic.
The total price will be more, but not 85 more.

They definitely don't do the same thing

Mikrotik CRS310-8G+2S+IN
Throughput ==> 40 Gbps

Aliexpress
Switch capacity ==> 128G :unsure:

They definitely don't do the same thing

Mikrotik CRS310-8G+2S+IN
Throughput ==> 40 Gbps

Aliexpress
Switch capacity ==> 128G :unsure:
Indeed they don't do the same thing! 128G switch capacity on an 8 x 2.5 GbE port switch is an interesting sales pitch. The switch chip might be able to do that but it's not going to be much use to the end user 😬

Sponsored Links
The Aliexpress switch is likly using the capacity of the switch chip whereas Mikrotik are likly using the capacity of all the ports firing at once.

So does that mean they are the same, or one is still better?
Who knows? The MikroTik one is tested and verifiable.

The Aliexpress one can't possibly be tested to that rate. Maybe it'll match, perhaps it won't, and it can't exceed the MikroTik tests.

I'm sure it's an ok switch? I just trust MikroTik 1000x more, and you know what you get from a full RouterOS vs the unknown (and maybe unsupported) software.

So does that mean they are the same, or one is still better?
Not the same at all. I'm with @Msh on this one. Mikrotik are a good brand who test and publish their products performance. Plus you'll likely get 10 years of software updates for it.

Not against cheap made in china networking gear at all as it has its place but if you want tp push 8 x 2.5Gbps upstream through multiple SFP+ ports I'd recommend the Mikrotik, budget not withstanding...

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3492)
  3. Politics (2500)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1945)
  9. Statistics (1767)
  10. 4G (1642)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1440)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1219)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1113)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules