Sponsored Links

2 new phones different 4G reception? Xiaomi / Samsung

Mikerec

Casual Member
Xiaomi rednote 10 pro and Samsung galaxy A52s5g - both new phones. Am swapping the Three mobile sim between the 2 phones & the Xiaomi is consistently getting double the bars and double the download and upload speeds compared to the Samsung from my rural location? I bought the Samsung because the sound / mic quality of the rednote pro 10 is terrible & will go back but that's a massive drop in connectivity??

I've switched between 3g/4g and 5g but on the Samsung but it makes no difference??

Any help / explanation appreciated.

Thanks.

Xiaomi rednote 10 pro and Samsung galaxy A52s5g - both new phones. Am swapping the Three mobile sim between the 2 phones & the Xiaomi is consistently getting double the bars and double the download and upload speeds compared to the Samsung from my rural location? I bought the Samsung because the sound / mic quality of the rednote pro 10 is terrible & will go back but that's a massive drop in connectivity??

I've switched between 3g/4g and 5g but on the Samsung but it makes no difference??

Any help / explanation appreciated.

Thanks.

Different phones have different CAT status.

Edit: someone here will kindly tell you which and why shortly no doubt.

On paper the Samsung should be the better phone, however that doesn't account for antenna design/capability to actually pick up signal.

I'd advise using an app such as Cellmapper or LTE Discovery to confirm that you're connected to the same site with each device and which frequency band(s) it is using - comparing the 'bars' is meaningless if they're not reporting for the same frequencies.

You say speeds have halved, but what speeds are you getting?

Sponsored Links
So your Redmi Note 10 Pro is 4G only right? YES

Is your Samsung noticing any 5G in the area? NO - VERY RURAL WALES

On paper the Samsung should be the better phone, however that doesn't account for antenna design/capability to actually pick up signal. IT'S NOT A CATEGORY THAT I SEEM TO RECALL IN ANY PHONE REVIEWS I'VE READ - ARGUABLY V.IMPORTANT.

You say speeds have halved, but what speeds are you getting?
SAMSUNG A52S 5G: CIRCA 10 DOWN, 1 UP - OUTSIDE
XIAOMI REDMI NOTE 10 PRO: CIRCA 21 DOWN, 2.5 UP - OUTSIDE

Ability to register 4g signal in house is better with xiaomi redmi note - (signal in 80% of house) vs samsung (weaker signal in 30% of house).

It's overall capacity to capture a signal / antenna design that is concerning me. The extra Mbs or ability to register a signal makes a massive difference in the middle of nowhere.

Will download those apps,

Thank you

If somebody can decode some of this / work out what's going on, that'd be great

Attachments

• redmi note 10 pro cellmapper.jpg
    redmi note 10 pro cellmapper.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 143
  • samsung a52s 5g_CellMapper.jpg
    samsung a52s 5g_CellMapper.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 157
To compare exactly then 5G should be disabled on the Samsung so it is a clear 4G comparison.

It appears that the Samsung is detecting a slightly less signal at or around the typical 110dBm area. It may be enough that the Samsung is applying a lower QAM and hence speed drops significantly.

May be a combination of a signal level threshold, SINR calculation and a UE capability message resulting in the QAM applied.

My assumption is that the antenna design in phones is always a compromise and it could be that the Samsung being 5G is biased towards certain combinations of frequencies, CA, MIMO etc.

There will be also be manufacturing tolerances, case design etc. which mean variations between manufacturers and individual phones. External protective cases and how the phone is held all have an impact.

Then there is the network provider policies that may increasingly include device specific ones.

You may get a completely different comparison on another mast and distances. As always its what your use case is.

Sponsored Links
If I had EXTREMELY deep pockets, I think it would be a lot of fun to experiment with signal quality in detail across a range of the latest Smartphones. My own anecdotal experience has been that, even when they share the same chipset, reception quality can vary a lot due to all of the combined reasons mentioned by others above.

Some phones are so good that they're a lot better at catching and holding a signal than even some very expensive mobile routers, so knowing how they all perform would be quite useful. The only problem is I'd have to re-mortgage out my house to afford such a study :) .

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules