Sponsored

20/02/2008 - Fast4 Connection Fault

Paulplex

ISP Rep
Hi All,

Unfortunately this afternoon there is a transit fault with the connection to our servers and databases; this is therefore affecting all customers (ADSL users on the old EurISP platform or new Murphx platform and dialup accounts too) and is causing problems for customers who are attempting to authenticate.

This problem is currently under investigation and we hope for this to be resolved soon: it should be resolved within the afternoon but unfortunately until this is fixed, customers will be unable to connect.

The Fast4 website is down currently because of this issue; the Fast4 website is hosted and maintained within the same network that is experiencing difficulties and thus customers who are connected are currently unable to login or view their members area also.

If you are an ADSL customer and you are currently connected, we recommend you remain connected since you will be unable to reconnect whilst this issue is present.

Our apologies to those customers affected by this - we're doing all we can to get this fixed.

Paulplex

ISP Rep
**Blub!**

After work and a long drive down a busy M3 and M27 to get myself home, I've been out for a swim and finally back in the home, joints and bones all achey from not enough exercise in my life :p

...still, while I drown in style, it seems Nick has been working through and appears to have resolved this problem: indeed, I can see customers authenticating as I type.

We're sorry for the connectivity problems seen by customers this afternoon but I'm glad to see that things are up and working again.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
After work and a long drive down a busy M3 and M27 to get myself home, I've been out for a swim and finally back in the home, joints and bones all achey from not enough exercise in my life :p
Nice to see some ones priorities right when theres a good part of the customer base offline, from what you have said it seems like a link between you and your suppliers was down that handled the authentication of the customers? but to 2 suppliers? so the main line to a major part of the network was down? share the problem to give the customers some more meaningfull details, I do feel they need to know it is not going to be a regular thing and not old happenings carrying on to yet another supplier.

Was all the old issues not with the old supplier?

Well I am starting to wonder!

Capped4

Pro Member
was logged in and surfing at 2.06- got cut off dead! I'm having a lot of short service drop- outs which are short enough not to be worth moaning about - unless this is likely to recur?

qlp

Yeah noticed this. Used the new username and I'm connected now :)

No problems yet, will post if anything happens >__>

Paulplex

ISP Rep
Nice to see some ones priorities right when theres a good part of the customer base offline, from what you have said it seems like a link between you and your suppliers was down that handled the authentication of the customers? but to 2 suppliers?
Good morning; I do a customer services role and although I have access to tweak and check the servers technically, I'm not qualified or have the experience to fix the fault that ocured last night: so yes, when the phones stop at 5pm, I do finish for the day - but I also knew that Nick was working on to ensure this problem was resolved.

Athough I did enjoy my swim last night, I knew that Nick unfortunately wouldn't be enjoying his afternoon. The point I was trying to make from my earlier post is that although the customer services desk may only be open for calls from 9 to 5, if a problem occurs Fast4 will try to ensure that this is fixed as quickly as possible - regardless of what time of day it is or indeed what day it is.

I'm uncertain of the specifics of the fault yesterday but the problem was effectively that customers did not have access to our network fully and thus those customers who'd need to verify their login details against the customer database wouldn't have been able to since the database was unavailable to them.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
So you do all the Auth side of this? Wouldn't it be better to have a backup or even loadbalance or cluster them so if it did happen again in the future customers wouldnt know.

Paulplex

ISP Rep
So you do all the Auth side of this? Wouldn't it be better to have a backup or even loadbalance or cluster them so if it did happen again in the future customers wouldnt know.
There is load balancing and backups of the database; that's not what the problem was - the database was fine, it was the connection to the servers, databases and routers that sit in the cabinet in the server farm that caused the connection problems yesterday...

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
but if you had a cluster elsewhere then it wouldnt have happened... who has just one server? if authentication goes down for any reason another should take over.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Gift Card
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £21.95
    Avg. Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2620)
  2. FTTP (2411)
  3. FTTC (1713)
  4. Building Digital UK (1649)
  5. Politics (1513)
  6. Openreach (1488)
  7. Business (1305)
  8. FTTH (1200)
  9. Statistics (1141)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1106)
  11. Fibre Optic (1010)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (962)
  13. 4G (955)
  14. Wireless Internet (953)
  15. Virgin Media (912)
  16. EE (632)
  17. Sky Broadband (625)
  18. TalkTalk (609)
  19. Vodafone (577)
  20. 3G (433)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules