Sponsored

24Mbps ADSL2+ WBC Pricing Announced !

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
It doesn't look too bad, it's just shame I wont be able to enjoy it until next year. :hrmph:

On the plus side, as users are moved on to WBC, those left on IPStream might start to see an improvement during the post-10pm free-for-all...

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The prices look a little too cheap so either they will work on less profits making the service suffer or they willget as amny signed up as possible then put up the prices...

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
The prices look a little too cheap so either they will work on less profits making the service suffer or they willget as amny signed up as possible then put up the prices...
Remember that they have Sky/UKOnline and Be/O2 to compete with, so they have to price accordingly, though Be* still looks more attractive...

Since they only offer monthly contracts, putting up prices wouldn't be the best of ideas. ;)

I'm not sure the peak hours change is the best move, that was what attracted me to ADSL24 in the first place, I'm leaning even further towards Be* now...

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
The 10pm slowdown was one of the things that put me off switching to an entanet supplier, if shifting off-peak to 1am improves evening speeds it would actually make it a bit more appealing to me as I'm not usually a massive downloader, although as I'm happy where I am, I've currently got no plans to move.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
The 1am - 7am peak hours will apply to weekends as well, so we would be losing about 52 hours of off-peak time per week, which is a LOT. Losing the equivalent of 2 days per week of off-peak time is not even remotely worth the extra 5GB per month peak allowance. :hrmph:

I assume that these new peak time hours would apply to all the other Enta resellers as well?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I hate it when "off-peak" gets redesigned to suit a marketing model; I think it's a pretty worthless description of time periods now since nobody obeys its true meaning anymore.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The 1am - 7am peak hours will apply to weekends as well, so we would be losing about 52 hours of off-peak time per week, which is a LOT. Losing the equivalent of 2 days per week of off-peak time is not even remotely worth the extra 5GB per month peak allowance. :hrmph:

I assume that these new peak time hours would apply to all the other Enta resellers as well?

1am to 7am are off-peak hours not peak as you said here.
Questions that everyone should think before deciding.
The first questions that come to mind is how much a month do you download?
This then needs splitting into time brackets peak and off peak.
Then you ask how much of the downloading is P2P?

I find that for years those using less have been paying for heavy users to hog the networks slowing down all on the contended service. Looking at 21cn this looks like stopping and people paying for what they use a much fairer way to deal with internet.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
Surely the whole point of "up to 24mb" WBC is the abilty to download data faster. The extra speed will make NO difference to regular browsing other than making some pages appear a few milliseconds sooner.

Unlimited or not, if they are going to restrict the ability to do any amount of downloading to those ungodly hours, then I see no point whatsoever in signing up to any of these packages, unless you work stupid hours, or dont mind a larger than normal electric bill.

And dont let the word "unlimited" fool you, even on an outstanding connection, downloading at full speed for 6 hours per day, it would only be physically possible to clock up something like 300+GB per month, which is what you get now even on Enta's current basic package.

Those only managing to hit something like 10mb would be physically limited to less than 200GB off-peak per month, which is much less than the 300GB they could get now.

Dig a little deeper and you find that, athough you might get faster speed, you could actually be losing out on quite a lot more...

Last edited:

absent

even on an outstanding connection, downloading at full speed for 6 hours per day, it would only be physically possible to clock up something like 300+GB per month, which is what you get now even on Enta's current basic package.

Those only managing to hit something like 10mb would be physically limited to less than 200GB off-peak per month, which is much less than the 300GB they could get now.
I think you've got your maths a bit sqewed. If you got full speed you can hit over 10GB per hour, for six hours a day, 30 days a month, that's over 1.8TB per month in off-peak allowance. Even at 10mbps, it's 4.5GB per hour or 810GB per month.

I worked that out with http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp

Me myself, I hardly ever use the net between 1am and 7am, so I would need a £40 a month package to accomodate my current useage pattern. Even though my rural exchange is due to go 21CN May next year, I'll not be jumping at Enta's offering. I'd rather wait a little longer for a download but be able to use the net whenever I want how much I want which is how my Office 45 package works out now.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
I think you've got your maths a bit sqewed. If you got full speed you can hit over 10GB per hour, for six hours a day, 30 days a month, that's over 1.8TB per month in off-peak allowance. Even at 10mbps, it's 4.5GB per hour or 810GB per month.
Nobody is going to get full speed on WBC, just like they dont get it on ADSL Max. I used 18mb as an example of an "outstanding" connection, which is a little more realistic. ;)

Of course your average user will be very lucky indeed to reach 18mb, so 10mb is a good average, but I think that is a little on the generous side.

And you are right about my maths... I was working it out weekly instead of monthly... :laugh:

I still think it would be prudent to wait and see what other providers are going to offer, though something tells me that even though speeds are going to rise, usage allowances are not...

absent

even though speeds are going to rise, usage allowances are not
Which is a pity since bandwidth is supposed to be cheaper at wholesale on 21CN. I suppose it's down to whether ISPs use this as a chance to increase profit margins rather than increase user benefits.

I would think ADSL2 would need to have significantly larger allowance to make any real use out of the product. Quadruple speed is hardly going to make any real world difference to web browsing/email or a Tiscali definition of using the internet (when only having 1 or 2 computers online through one line). What it will make a difference to is large download times and the streaming of high quality video and for this you most obiviously need equally larger allowances.

To me it just seems daft to increase the speed but decrease the bandwidth per hour allowance.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Again you have to remember it is stil a conternded service if you pay the price of a leased line you would get the fulll speed and full unlimted download. So the mointhly charge still has to cover the costs of the internet pay a smaller fee more are added to make the monthly money right.

absent

I don't expect full speed 24/7 and unlimited downloads, I was just saying the extra speed will make no real difference to web browsing on a single computer, and for my circumstances extra speed with a decreased bandwidth per hour allowance at the moment doesn't seem to offer any benefits to me personally and may infact be a hindrance to my overall internet experience. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what other companies make of 21CN pricing, maybe will Enta will look good, maybe they'll look bad. That's one trouble with being first out of the gate.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Yes they are capping your speed to 8meg and you stay on your old package to move to 24meg the talk was that the offpeak and peak times would change... Heard this from more than one ISP

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
So if your connection is capable of well over 8mb on WBC, and your ISP puts you on a WBC connection capped to 8mb, would you actually recieve the full 8mb, or would you stay at the old "up to" speed as on ADSL Max?

At the moment it seems that Sky and Be/O2 have the edge over WBC, in pricing and usage allowances.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Agrajag not sure and I doubt i wil get a chance tot ry if before the rest of the UKL since my exchange has no date yet.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
If they stick you on WBC and limit to 8Mbps then technically speaking the limitations of MAX would no longer apply, meaning your connection speed should increase based on ADSL2+ specs, albeit not higher than 8Mbps. I can see no reason why it wouldn't.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2196)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1606)
  5. Politics (1424)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1072)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (579)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules