Sponsored Links

3/Smarty Issues

simonjerob

Casual Member
Hi All,

I've been happily running my 4G broadband setup for nearly a year now with an unlimited plan from Smarty which runs on the 3 network until today...

What's happening now is on 4G I can only get access to certain websites, what I have tested is Facebook, Google, BBC, Twitter but other websites like Salesforce, example.com and loads of other stuff I can't get on.

If I switch to 3G everything works.

I spoke to support who were friendly but not helpful and just said see if it works again in a few days and also said to remove adult content control (it's been on the whole time and never affected normal websites).

I've tried everything I can think of but my only conclusion is there is an ISP restriction their side.

My hardware setup is:
Router: D-Link DWR-921
Antenna: Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001

This is not device related as it affects all my laptops, phones and multiple smart devices which cannot connect when on 4G. I also for sanity's sake put the sim in a spare iPhone and same issue persists.

Am I going mad? Any ideas or just to confirm my suspicion?

Sponsored Links
We are having the exact same issue using an Archer MR600 router, also started yesterday. Some sites/apps work fine, others don't. Tried a factory reset on the router, checked for firmware updates, and changed the DNS to Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) with no reaults. I also swapped the SIM into my mobile and experienced the same connectivity issues. Looking for any other troubleshooting ideas!

Using Smarty and not seeing any issues as yet - using a 525.

I'm fairly convinced its a Three internal network issue, the way it only happens at times when contention is high for me (causing SNR to start fluctuating) all points to badly configured traffic management in my view.

Snap! Smarty 4g working like a champ all through lockdown until yesterday. Now it seems to have developed a blind spot for some sites. Huawei router.

Sponsored Links
I’m using a Smarty sim with a B525, and I get massive delays with some websites. My upload and download speeds are good ( although I have to reboot once a day, as they do drop), but ping is quite high. Today I bought a PAYG EE sim to try, and I now get a ping of 26 and all the sites that used to freeze on loading etc, all work fine with no issues so far. I live in a tiny village on the East Yorkshire coast, without sight of the mast and I’m getting a d/l of 85mbs and an upload of 25 mbs. It’s got to be a Three/Smarty issue!

Glad to hear (in a sympathetic way) that others are seeing the same issue.

Smarty support have confirmed it is a network issue and it is under investigation

Sponsored Links
Same, I'm getting a similar download on 3G but the upload and constant Zoom meetings I have to do is killing me a bit
my work phone is on EE and I can get workable upload when placed by one particular window - so tethering to that for video calls

These are my speeds this morning, which I'm very happy with on Smarty, but the ping is lousy. Just started using Firefox (normally use Safari) and pages load even slower. Chrome is slightly faster, but still can take 45 seconds to load a simple site page. That's if it loads at all!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 09.26.37.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 09.26.37.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 246
These are my speeds this morning, which I'm very happy with on Smarty, but the ping is lousy. Just started using Firefox (normally use Safari) and pages load even slower. Chrome is slightly faster, but still can take 45 seconds to load a simple site page. That's if it loads at all!!
Is that ping on 4G or 3G? Seems high for 4G. Great download speed, I get about 1/3 of that but I typically see 20-30 up (when it works)

Picture1.png
Picture1.png
I can't even get on the thinkbroadband site over 4G! these are my 3G numbers and even so page loads are quite zippy - sub-second (Chrome) - but will be switching to EE hot spot for my upcoming Teams call.

Is that ping on 4G or 3G? Seems high for 4G. Great download speed, I get about 1/3 of that but I typically see 20-30 up (when it works)
That ping is on 4G. I must admit that the "up" is slightly low for me, as it's usually 18 or so. If I switch to EE sim then my speeds are similar, but my ping is only 26 and page loads are quite snappy. However, EE sim is £35 p/m against Smarty at £20 p/m. I have just ordered a Voxi sim to se how that fares.

Sponsored Links
I just received my Voxi sim today, tested on 4G but only getting 6-7mbps up and down which is worse on DL that Smarty on 3G. Tried antenna on both sides of the house and in the vague direction of the mast

I just received my Voxi sim today, tested on 4G but only getting 6-7mbps up and down which is worse on DL that Smarty on 3G. Tried antenna on both sides of the house and in the vague direction of the mast
Oh dear! That doesn't bode well. Not got my Voxi sim as yet, but I have this evening had chance to try a Vodafone sim and the speeds the same as yours!
have a GiffGaff sim in my phone, and that only gives 12mbs with a high ping, so that's O2 out of the window also.

Should there be different APN settings for Smarty on the B525 router, or should it be just the same as Three. I presume they should be the same, but just thought I would ask!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5445)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2227)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1955)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1649)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1447)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules