Sponsored

30 days with Three 5G

Seani

Top Member
will a smarty 4g be as fast as a Three 4g? what top speeds did you guys get recently?
In my experience no, try order a Three 4G Hub if it says not available at this postcode then Smarty loses base station priority over Three contract customers.

Same at a postcode location Three will sell you 4G Hub, Smarty performs much like Three contract sim.

I’d hazard a guess a Three payg sim will perform between both contract & Smarty speeds as it is reprioritised in a non available 4G Hub postcode area.

CarlO1460

Top Member
In my experience no, try order a Three 4G Hub if it says not available at this postcode then Smarty loses base station priority over Three contract customers.

Same at a postcode location Three will sell you 4G Hub, Smarty performs much like Three contract sim.

I’d hazard a guess a Three payg sim will perform between both contract & Smarty speeds as it is reprioritised in a non available 4G Hub postcode area.
There is no speed prioritisation unlike what may seem like it via other networks. Certainly no difference here for me between Three, sim only/pay and go, and smarty.

Seani

Top Member
There is no speed prioritisation unlike what may seem like it via other networks. Certainly no difference here for me between Three, sim only/pay and go, and smarty.
Lucky, I think MBNL is just far too oversaturated here and always had been since T-Mobile unlimited 3G, Orange unlimited was great until the merger closed the roaming and closed Orange sites.

The nearby uni probably doesn’t help, I imagine most students are on cheap Three unlimited plan. And a lot of them also rent in the area in shared flats/HMO as it’s not the cheap end of town.

Smarty on base stations where you can’t get 4G Hub ordered loses 1/3 to half it’s speed v Three contract. Then other parts of the city where 4G Hub is allowed ordered there’s no issue - at least Three are honest unlike EE in that respect, yes or no. EE would sell their granny to get her pension to pay into their pension fund!

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Ok, so my trial has finished last night. The whole experience was very positive, Three have done a heck of a job in my area (EN2) and I hope Enfield council will grant them further permission for many more installations.

As is usually the case there is a massive difference with Three between download and upload speeds, eg 300 vs 20-30 Mbps, but still that is very reasonable and more than you get with FTTC or Virgin.. and to be honest I can forgive them that because the prices are significantly lower than other operators.

Other than that the connection was extremely solid throughout the month with no disconnects, downgrades to 4G or packet losses. Latency was quite good throughout, around 15-20ms.

All in all, for now, I'd rank them higher than EE in my area for 5G.

Three have a great opportunity here to become THE "wireless" ISP of choice because it's just so much more convenient to plug and play a 5G router rather than wait for wires to be installed and so on, not to mention with multiple masts in an area you eliminate a lot of single point of failures.

So, am i signing up to a contract? Very tempted, altough I still have well more than 1y left on my EE one. The £10 I'd pay monthly for their unlimited data SIM (after cahback etc) would be affordable, but I'd also need to factor in the price of a 2nd 5G router. Decisions, decisions..

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Ok, so my trial has finished last night. The whole experience was very positive, Three have done a heck of a job in my area (EN2) and I hope Enfield council will grant them further permission for many more installations.

As is usually the case there is a massive difference with Three between download and upload speeds, eg 300 vs 20-30 Mbps, but still that is very reasonable and more than you get with FTTC or Virgin.. and to be honest I can forgive them that because the prices are significantly lower than other operators.

Other than that the connection was extremely solid throughout the month with no disconnects, downgrades to 4G or packet losses. Latency was quite good throughout, around 15-20ms.

All in all, for now, I'd rank them higher than EE in my area for 5G.

Three have a great opportunity here to become THE "wireless" ISP of choice because it's just so much more convenient to plug and play a 5G router rather than wait for wires to be installed and so on, not to mention with multiple masts in an area you eliminate a lot of single point of failures.

So, am i signing up to a contract? Very tempted, altough I still have well more than 1y left on my EE one. The £10 I'd pay monthly for their unlimited data SIM (after cahback etc) would be affordable, but I'd also need to factor in the price of a 2nd 5G router. Decisions, decisions..
EE for your mobile and three in your CPE Win. Problem solved sir, come join me and @The Wee Bear on three :D

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £15.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £65 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £26.00 (*54.00)
    Speed: 400Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00 (*51.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3494)
  2. BT (3007)
  3. Politics (1922)
  4. Building Digital UK (1915)
  5. FTTC (1882)
  6. Openreach (1819)
  7. Business (1673)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1468)
  9. Statistics (1404)
  10. FTTH (1364)
  11. 4G (1270)
  12. Fibre Optic (1164)
  13. Virgin Media (1158)
  14. Wireless Internet (1151)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1139)
  16. Vodafone (836)
  17. EE (829)
  18. TalkTalk (760)
  19. 5G (759)
  20. Sky Broadband (744)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules