Sponsored Links

30 days with Three 5G

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Hi,

------
UPDATE: My trial has finished, read my findings HERE.
------

Following a somewhat successful trial with Three's 5G for a couple of days I've ordered an unlimited data SIM and put it in my 5G router (Huawei CPE Win H312-371).
I'll try to stick with it for the following 30 days until it expires and keep you updated with any issues.

I've put the EE SIM in my B535, just in case. :)

Attachments

• Image7850879210911461964.jpg
    Image7850879210911461964.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 359
  • Image3805197471870695378.jpg
    Image3805197471870695378.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Hello,

Just a small update.

The experience so far has been fantastic, can't believe this is Three. No service interruptions or major speed changes.

Very good latency, around 15ms ping, sometimes a bit less, sometimes more but overall better than EE in my area.
Very acceptable for gaming (though my Quake3 days are well behind me now :> ).

Download speeds usually 150-300 Mbps as measured by nPerf, so somewhat on par with EE. Remember, I'm in a weak signal area with no LOS.

Upload speeds averaging 30 Mbps, pretty reasonable I would say. No match for the 80-90 Mbps I get with EE, but hey, can't have it all.

I used to run hourly speedtests to make some nice graphs for you guys, but then a power cut fried my Linux router, so .. that's that. Need to start over if I can manage to repair it.

Some good, consistent results.

They have certainly worked hard to improve their offering and all the network upgrades they’re doing is paying off.

Sponsored Links
I'd like to see how they hold up in 1-2 years when a lot more people will be on 5G.. fingers crossed they'll get the planning permission they need.

Have you tried using smokeping? I use this inside a containet to measure my 5G performance. I ping certain websites and DNS provider. Pretty neat tool.

So far is looking good. I had an issue earlier where I was seeing high pings from time to time and when I was playing stadia my games where stuttering every 5-10 mins.

I found out that in the router under the networking tab the config is set to auto. I swap to use only LAN instead of auto.

Since I made that change I don't see any more high pings and I can play game on stadia easily without any stuttering. The pings are always up to 20ms and stable. Finger cross will stay that way.

@groenator yes, been using it for years, it's great.

See graphs I attached here:

So I'm curious about this now. How has actually using the network been?

When I used Three previously, there was the 'quirks' of how they routed things etc and whilst speeds could be great something I'd still have issues;

Sponsored Links
@TTJJ so far it has been excellent, like I described above.
No interruptions, no "issues" of any kind, didn't have to mess with the default APN (3internet), no fallback to 4G.

It could well be that this is a newish 5g installation and there aren't many using it.
This being Three I do have this fear in the back of my mind that the house of cards will crumble at any time, but hey, who knows.

@TTJJ so far it has been excellent, like I described above.
No interruptions, no "issues" of any kind, didn't have to mess with the default APN (3internet), no fallback to 4G.

It could well be that this is a newish 5g installation and there aren't many using it.
This being Three I do have this fear in the back of my mind that the house of cards will crumble at any time, but hey, who knows.
I wonder if you could get it to work with smarty 5G?

I've had a couple of years with Three 4G home broadband and its been far more reliable than through a landline with which I only got 6Mb max. then got with 4G about 20-25Mb, but as the map where I live has 5G around apart from a circle around my property, I decided to get the 5G service with a better router (5G CPE pro) and now getting speeds on 4G of about 70Mbs! wonder what I'll get when the activate the 5G

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How much is it per month and contract length, if you don't mind me asking?
I've just ordered an unlimited data payg sim, valid for 30 days. I paid around £28 I think. It's not a contract.

Since service has been gobsmacking (see attached) I might consider a contract, they have all sorts of offers and if you go through the likes of topcashback or quidco you can get even better deals. If I search a bit I might be able to get it for 10-12 £/m.

Attachments

• Selection_305.jpg
    Selection_305.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 168
If I search a bit I might be able to get it for 10-12 £/m.
Yeah, most of them it starts off a few months at that "special" price and then bumps up to double.

I'm currently on Unlimited Data for £15 and 5G ready, but can't see it coming anytime soon to my area. Fingers and toes crossed though!

No 5G for me!.. Put in the smarty sim, I didn't top it up, but it did show 4G+ in the top bar, so I guess my area is still to be activated.
That’s a bummer. I was thinking you could use the smarty sim instead of 3 as they are doing £16/mth unlimited atm. That would have also gotten you out of a contract.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules