Sponsored Links

30 days with Three 5G

I read somewhere, might have been here, that Smarty is less tolerant regarding fair use policy than Three. Has anyone experienced this?

I read somewhere, might have been here, that Smarty is less tolerant regarding fair use policy than Three. Has anyone experienced this?
Yes, I also heard Smarty's FUP is 1TB/m whereas with Three there's no limit.

I just sent them an email asking about their FUP.
I'll share my reply if I ever get one. :giggle:

And here it is.

Moi:

I was thinking about joining on your unlimited deal. Do you have a truly unlimited policy like the three network or is it limited to 1TB. I regularly go over 1TB due to lots of 4K streaming and very large Xbox game updates.

Smarty:

Hi, thank you for contacting SMARTY Customer Support!

With our Unlimited plan there’s no hidden ‘fair use policies’ within the UK, giving you all the access to the Internet you’d need without worrying about hefty bills and no data speed restrictions.

Even if you used your phone for every minute of every day, you’d only use around 1,000GB each month. We’ve set a usage cap at 1,000GB in order to identify commercial use of our service for example, which is not permitted under our terms.

However, if you’re travelling in the EU, you will be subject to our fair use limit of 12 GB each month.

:rolleyes:

And here it is.

Moi:

I was thinking about joining on your unlimited deal. Do you have a truly unlimited policy like the three network or is it limited to 1TB. I regularly go over 1TB due to lots of 4K streaming and very large Xbox game updates.

Smarty:

Hi, thank you for contacting SMARTY Customer Support!

With our Unlimited plan there’s no hidden ‘fair use policies’ within the UK, giving you all the access to the Internet you’d need without worrying about hefty bills and no data speed restrictions.

Even if you used your phone for every minute of every day, you’d only use around 1,000GB each month. We’ve set a usage cap at 1,000GB in order to identify commercial use of our service for example, which is not permitted under our terms.

However, if you’re travelling in the EU, you will be subject to our fair use limit of 12 GB each month.

:rolleyes:
Copy/paste bot, they clearly didn't read your message saying you regularly go over the 1TB limit, heh.

No they did not. Probably just a bot Lucian. :rolleyes:

Well I tried. :giggle:

Last edited:
@eccles I tried Smarty for 1month about 2years ago when seeing if 4G was viable as fixed line replacement. As soon as I hit 1TB the data stopped. While it might be seen that >1TB is outside 'fair use' or 'commercial' is moot, it was a hard limit. I don't know if you could then buy more data for the remaining days of the month, at that point I was satisfied it'd work and went with Three.

Smarty in their ts and cams now seem to be saying there isn’t a limit but there is? Bit ambiguous if you ask me.

@eccles I tried Smarty for 1month about 2years ago when seeing if 4G was viable as fixed line replacement. As soon as I hit 1TB the data stopped. While it might be seen that >1TB is outside 'fair use' or 'commercial' is moot, it was a hard limit. I don't know if you could then buy more data for the remaining days of the month, at that point I was satisfied it'd work and went with Three.
Thanks Gavin. I'll stick with Three then. If it ain't broke....

Took the sim for a ride today to Central London.
5G coverage along the way was spotty, maybe 50% that of EE which seems omnipresent, sometimes I wouldn't even get 4G...
The upside however, where I did get 5G it was really quite fast, often breaking the 400 Mbps barrier which I almost never get with EE. You can feel those 100 Mhz of spectrum.

In the Science Museum (cafeteria) I got 450Mbps dl and in other places even over 650.

Surprisingly it even went over 100Mbps upload on a few occasions, not sure how this happened as their 4G is quite bad.

Last edited:
Took the sim for a ride today to Central London.
5G coverage along the way was spotty, maybe 50% that of EE which seems omnipresent, sometimes I wouldn't even get 4G...
The upside however, where I did get 5G it was really quite fast, often breaking the 400 Mbps barrier which I almost never get with EE. You can feel those 100 Mhz of spectrum.

In the Science Museum (cafeteria) I got 450Mbps dl and in other places even over 650.

Surprisingly it even went over 100Mbps upload on a few occasions, not sure how this happened as their 4G is quite bad.
What phone you've used?

What phone you've used?
Screenshot_20210724-214814_Chrome.jpg

Probably his new Fisher Price johnro, I hear it works particularly well with three 5G.

Thinking of getting one myself if my 3 pole of wonder is blessed by North Ayrshire Council soon. :giggle:

Just look at that bad boy. :cool:

View attachment 1327

Probably his new Fisher Price johnro, I hear it works particularly well with three 5G.

Thinking of getting one myself if my 3 pole of wonder is blessed by North Ayrshire Council soon. :giggle:

Just look at that bad boy. :cool:
Nothing like my brand new dora phone, this Swiss army knife has 24,000 cameras, a Bitedragon 7482727 processor and has 10Gbps speed on 5G 😎😏
9B5C451F-31D8-4570-AA9D-0CB61BAB4614.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah but the button on the left of the Fisher Price is unbeatably magical.
One press, you reboot into iOS, another press, you're back into Android, a double tap is retro mode, which is Windows Phone.

Dora hasn't a look in. :ROFLMAO:

Ah but the button on the left of the Fisher Price is unbeatably magical.
One press, you reboot into iOS, another press, you're back into Android, a double tap is retro mode, which is Windows Phone.

Dora hasn't a look in. :ROFLMAO:
Now that the Dora can’t do 🤣
The Dora phone only works on flEEa to so I’d have to pay a fortune to keep it....

I've had a couple of years with Three 4G home broadband and its been far more reliable than through a landline with which I only got 6Mb max. then got with 4G about 20-25Mb, but as the map where I live has 5G around apart from a circle around my property, I decided to get the 5G service with a better router (5G CPE pro) and now getting speeds on 4G of about 70Mbs! wonder what I'll get when the activate the 5G
That 4x4 mimo in the 5G Pro device really lifts Three, aswell as improvements they may have done on your local base station transmitters.

The new ZTE Three 4G HUB Is also the first 4x4 mimo modem they have launched. Progress is passing, you can grab a free LG TV too with the 4G Hub so Three are defo marketing themselves from a freebie and new 4G+ Hub customer reporting experience for the feel good.

Unfortunately Ericsson (HUAWEI replacement) are behind schedule due to GOV outing HUAWEI & CoVID, but Ericsson did do a massive U.K. recruitment a few months ago for the Three contract.

Unfortunately I’m in a delayed roll out area where Three is the only non 5G network and sods law is I want that Three 100MHz 5G access lol.

I can report 200-300Mbps on o2 & Voda 5G, EE want me to pay the same as new customers for 5G, not even 1p discount, I must remain on £5 20GB 4G to have any EE discount any 4/5G price plan change means I pay full website price!? So yeah can’t comment on EE 5G performance, which given its gobbledygook BT spectrums (& management) even with 4x4 means I get 8Mbps in the middle of a city off Band 20 800MHz, even forcing to higher bands EE throws you off then to no signal if you block B20 - I have Line of Sight to 5 different EE base station transmitters and numerous mobiles & modems all have the same issue, EE programming base stations as B20 priority.

I guess top ££ plans especially on Business get priority access to higher 4G bands, no doubt 5G will/is the same lower plan cost equals lower spectrum enforcement .

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules