Sponsored Links

30 days with Three 5G

will a smarty 4g be as fast as a Three 4g? what top speeds did you guys get recently?
In my experience no, try order a Three 4G Hub if it says not available at this postcode then Smarty loses base station priority over Three contract customers.

Same at a postcode location Three will sell you 4G Hub, Smarty performs much like Three contract sim.

I’d hazard a guess a Three payg sim will perform between both contract & Smarty speeds as it is reprioritised in a non available 4G Hub postcode area.

In my experience no, try order a Three 4G Hub if it says not available at this postcode then Smarty loses base station priority over Three contract customers.

Same at a postcode location Three will sell you 4G Hub, Smarty performs much like Three contract sim.

I’d hazard a guess a Three payg sim will perform between both contract & Smarty speeds as it is reprioritised in a non available 4G Hub postcode area.
There is no speed prioritisation unlike what may seem like it via other networks. Certainly no difference here for me between Three, sim only/pay and go, and smarty.

There is no speed prioritisation unlike what may seem like it via other networks. Certainly no difference here for me between Three, sim only/pay and go, and smarty.
Lucky, I think MBNL is just far too oversaturated here and always had been since T-Mobile unlimited 3G, Orange unlimited was great until the merger closed the roaming and closed Orange sites.

The nearby uni probably doesn’t help, I imagine most students are on cheap Three unlimited plan. And a lot of them also rent in the area in shared flats/HMO as it’s not the cheap end of town.

Smarty on base stations where you can’t get 4G Hub ordered loses 1/3 to half it’s speed v Three contract. Then other parts of the city where 4G Hub is allowed ordered there’s no issue - at least Three are honest unlike EE in that respect, yes or no. EE would sell their granny to get her pension to pay into their pension fund!

Post deleted, was just repeating what had already been said previously. :rolleyes: :giggle:

Ok, so my trial has finished last night. The whole experience was very positive, Three have done a heck of a job in my area (EN2) and I hope Enfield council will grant them further permission for many more installations.

As is usually the case there is a massive difference with Three between download and upload speeds, eg 300 vs 20-30 Mbps, but still that is very reasonable and more than you get with FTTC or Virgin.. and to be honest I can forgive them that because the prices are significantly lower than other operators.

Other than that the connection was extremely solid throughout the month with no disconnects, downgrades to 4G or packet losses. Latency was quite good throughout, around 15-20ms.

All in all, for now, I'd rank them higher than EE in my area for 5G.

Three have a great opportunity here to become THE "wireless" ISP of choice because it's just so much more convenient to plug and play a 5G router rather than wait for wires to be installed and so on, not to mention with multiple masts in an area you eliminate a lot of single point of failures.

So, am i signing up to a contract? Very tempted, altough I still have well more than 1y left on my EE one. The £10 I'd pay monthly for their unlimited data SIM (after cahback etc) would be affordable, but I'd also need to factor in the price of a 2nd 5G router. Decisions, decisions..

Ok, so my trial has finished last night. The whole experience was very positive, Three have done a heck of a job in my area (EN2) and I hope Enfield council will grant them further permission for many more installations.

As is usually the case there is a massive difference with Three between download and upload speeds, eg 300 vs 20-30 Mbps, but still that is very reasonable and more than you get with FTTC or Virgin.. and to be honest I can forgive them that because the prices are significantly lower than other operators.

Other than that the connection was extremely solid throughout the month with no disconnects, downgrades to 4G or packet losses. Latency was quite good throughout, around 15-20ms.

All in all, for now, I'd rank them higher than EE in my area for 5G.

Three have a great opportunity here to become THE "wireless" ISP of choice because it's just so much more convenient to plug and play a 5G router rather than wait for wires to be installed and so on, not to mention with multiple masts in an area you eliminate a lot of single point of failures.

So, am i signing up to a contract? Very tempted, altough I still have well more than 1y left on my EE one. The £10 I'd pay monthly for their unlimited data SIM (after cahback etc) would be affordable, but I'd also need to factor in the price of a 2nd 5G router. Decisions, decisions..
EE for your mobile and three in your CPE Win. Problem solved sir, come join me and @The Wee Bear on three :D

@Lucian Just came across your post, as i have been looking at the CPE win for some time now. More than 12 months. Bought the VN007 last year in april and was wondering whether CPE win would be a game changer.

The challenge i have is this, since the Win is outside mount and I planned to mount it outside, how can you change the Sim card should you end the 12 month contract and/or move to another provider etc.? Getting a big ladder and changing the sim would basically wipe any/all savings from moving to a different provider. So, not sure if/when Huawei would perhaps instead of an e-sim for the router instead and make life easier.

Also, any testing by putting the CPE win in the loft instead of outside/on the wall mounting?

@Lucian Just came across your post, as i have been looking at the CPE win for some time now. More than 12 months. Bought the VN007 last year in april and was wondering whether CPE win would be a game changer.

The challenge i have is this, since the Win is outside mount and I planned to mount it outside, how can you change the Sim card should you end the 12 month contract and/or move to another provider etc.? Getting a big ladder and changing the sim would basically wipe any/all savings from moving to a different provider. So, not sure if/when Huawei would perhaps instead of an e-sim for the router instead and make life easier.

Also, any testing by putting the CPE win in the loft instead of outside/on the wall mounting?
Can't test right now, but I reckon I'd lose 10-15% performance should I move the CPE win off the roof and inside the loft.

Yeah, changing the sim will prove challenging depending where you install it. In my case I just plonked it on the roof by the loft window, so not difficult at all.

I've ordered the VN007 as well BTW, though it will only reach me in June, if at all and will be able to compare. I do not expect massive differences between the 2 in my situation, but will test. Also check @dabigm VN007 review on the dedicated thread, he got good results, albeit a bit worse than with the Huawei CPE Pro 2.

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules