Sponsored Links

3000Mb service

if you can get pfsense to run a 10gb card then you can most certainly get a linux distro to run it too...as pfsense uses a linux based kernel

3Gbps down and up. My goodness me! Will windows 11 / linux mint accept 3Gbps on the pc?
No issues on Win11, other than installing the drivers for the Intel X540-T2 adapter which I ended up just using a Dell installer that's a few versions old.
Intrigued as to if they launch 5GB they'll move everyone from 3G automatically

1682340338430.png

No issues on Win11, other than installing the drivers for the Intel X540-T2 adapter which I ended up just using a Dell installer that's a few versions old.

View attachment 6151
If they do release a new speed tier i think the 5Gb speed will be the new £99 a month plan, 3Gb being £50, 1Gb and below at their current prices...thats a pure guess on my part of course.

View attachment 6151
Any chance to test it via Linux (you can try on live CD on Linux without making any change on your Dell laptop or PC)

Ah didn't get notifications of replies.

The router is just horrid, there's no way to change anything and it's heavily locked down as just DHCP and no way to change anything, not even DNS servers. It just kept saying Ethernet not connected even though it was and if I connected directly to the ONT everything was working. My old Linksys AX4200 could connect fine too, so I assumed a configuration that was imported got wiped after the reset that I did to the router.

But it didn't appear to be the case, as the engineer eventually came round. All I could tell was that he was continuously swapping SFP modules over and over again (he had a bag full of them) It just felt like trial and error as the the ONT was swapped 2/3 times as well as the technicolour router numerous times as well until eventually it just worked.

Another bizarre observation was that the speedtest was only 3000/500, yet it was 3000/3000 to the ONT. I had my old linksys plugged into the technicolor and that was doing 900/900... After maybe 2 more rounds of swapping of routers, it finally is 3000/3000...
The 621x has been problematic for me on upload, too. It really doesn't like Mikrotik. 8 Gbit/s download all day long, upload all over the place.

Don't think Linux isn't support 10Gbps driver yet on the network card. At the moment it accepts 2.5Gbps.
I.m at home have 10 Gbps LAN fibre network and using Linux (Gentoo, Debian). My network works as fast as fastest hard drives. As switch using Mikrotik router. Fibre going all way till Opnsense router (still waiting for FTTP).

Any chance to test it via Linux (you can try on live CD on Linux without making any change on your Dell laptop or PC)
In Linux, some network cards will work straight away, for some may need install firmware. But that can easy find by searching web...

The 621x has been problematic for me on upload, too. It really doesn't like Mikrotik. 8 Gbit/s download all day long, upload all over the place.
I've just solved one of the mysteries with a Community Fibre 621X and Mikrotik. Got a CCR2004 to consistent 3Gbit download easily enough (I had never bothered with fast-track on the previous 1Gbit service) but the upload was all over the place. Usually around 1.1Gbit, sometimes as much as 1.7Gbit but with no discernible pattern.

In my case, the Mikrotik S+RJ10 port that was facing the 621X needed TX and RX flow control set on (the default was off, on a CRS305). Consistent 3Gbit up and down to most of the London speedtest.net servers - presumably those that can handle it.

Yeah this is known parameter that needs to be enabled in switches and routers to achieve full 10Gb speed. I guess that's why CF don't really promote their 3Gb service. Even with the right equipment you will need some tweaking to achieve top speeds and not everyone has the knowledge or patience to do the work required...

I wondered if I'd have to enable it on the whole path from ONT to router and on to client, but it seems not - only the port facing the Adtran ONT needed to be changed.

Yeah this is known parameter that needs to be enabled in switches and routers to achieve full 10Gb speed. I guess that's why CF don't really promote their 3Gb service. Even with the right equipment you will need some tweaking to achieve top speeds and not everyone has the knowledge or patience to do the work required...
Definitely don't need flow control for 10 Gb speeds. Happily see both full 10G and full 25G through my kit without it.

If there's a quirk with the Adtran though that's good to know.

Mine plugs into a switch port. I've enabled flow control on that only. Will test tomorrow.

I've just solved one of the mysteries with a Community Fibre 621X and Mikrotik. Got a CCR2004 to consistent 3Gbit download easily enough (I had never bothered with fast-track on the previous 1Gbit service) but the upload was all over the place. Usually around 1.1Gbit, sometimes as much as 1.7Gbit but with no discernible pattern.

In my case, the Mikrotik S+RJ10 port that was facing the 621X needed TX and RX flow control set on (the default was off, on a CRS305). Consistent 3Gbit up and down to most of the London speedtest.net servers - presumably those that can handle it.

Got impatient and needed to know before sleeping.

Thank you, Father. Sadly didn't sort it for me but appreciate your pinging me.

ONU port facing switch only: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/77aeb6b4-e79d-4b7d-8037-77e6edb2abd2
ONU and router-facing switch port: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/7ce2f3bf-9a5b-4358-988a-ce28c5594004
ONU, router and router-facing switch port: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/191adf8a-c76a-4b55-9351-3f7c0db93025

Definitely don't need flow control for 10 Gb speeds. Happily see both full 10G and full 25G through my kit without it.

If there's a quirk with the Adtran though that's good to know.

Mine plugs into a switch port. I've enabled flow control on that only. Will test tomorrow.
I think it depends on your kit, but I have seen Flow Control mentioned in many scenarios where you can't achieve full bandwidth. Are you on a 10gb/3gb business plan?

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules