Sponsored Links

4G+ but only one band available...... WTF

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
One of my mates has recently purchased a B535 to use on 3..... It connects to 4G+ as is but as soon as you try any other combinations you can only receive B20 from a really distant mast. It's getting 4G+, but i've no idea where from. It's baffled me!

One of my mates has recently purchased a B535 to use on 3..... It connects to 4G+ as is but as soon as you try any other combinations you can only receive B20 from a really distant mast. It's getting 4G+, but i've no idea where from. It's baffled me!
Maybe B32+B20?

Definitely with three? What are the cell IDs when connected to 3/1/20 individually, assuming it does connect individually?

Sponsored Links
Definitely with three? What are the cell IDs when connected to 3/1/20 individually, assuming it does connect individually?
im not sure, I'll ask my friend to look this evening

I noticed this some months ago. My local Three mast that I usually connect too, has for the past 18 months connected to primary upload band 3 and showed it as 4G+. This 1800Mhz cell, 2899202 is one of 8 cells located on the tower operated by Three. Then around 2-3 months ago when establishing a connection, it would no longer automatically connect to 2899202 for the primary upload and instead began to use 2899208 which is a B20 cell, yet this still showed as 4G+. Needless to say the speeds on the B20 band are pretty poor and there is clearly no CA even though it displays the 4G+ status, so since this time I have had to use H-LTE to force band 3 for upload, which now only shows as 4G. Band 3 is pretty heavily contended in my area as Three only have this one mast locally. IMO it appears that three have tweaked things, probably to try and direct traffic onto the B20 cell to alleviate some congestion on Band 3. I suspect they have done this at several locations, in an attempt to balance their questionable network infrastructure.

Last edited:
It was spotted a couple of months ago that Three have altered their parameters to prefer B20 above 3G, as well as change some of the reselection thresholds, which could well explain why you're now connecting to B20 by default @Pwablo, however I cannot explain why 4G+ would show if speed tests were not representative of aggregation (for download at least), unless somehow they've screwed up and nothing is being scheduled over the 2nd bearer in a B20+X situation

Sponsored Links
Could this be intra-band CA which is what I was talking about in the other thread? As it seems the B535 also offers some form of support for it... just a thought.

My mast reconfiguration added B32 but dropped me from B3 to B20 with 4G+ permanently on, at least I do get B32 once a download or streaming is started as the download speed is well over B20 alone. Not long until I drop them, for 2 weeks after the upgrade B3 still worked and B32 was a great addon, but no longer able to get that no matter what I do to the router or the antenna.

Could this be intra-band CA which is what I was talking about in the other thread? As it seems the B535 also offers some form of support for it... just a thought.
No, because Three don't own multiple sections of spectrum in any given band for 4G (they do have the two pieces in n78 for 5G), so they don't have any opportunity to aggregate intra-band

No, because Three don't own multiple sections of spectrum in any given band for 4G (they do have the two pieces in n78 for 5G), so they don't have any opportunity to aggregate intra-band

Well that answers that then, you learn something new everyday or so I am told.

Sponsored Links
We ended up ditching the 4G idea lol, it wasn't viable as the speeds on all networks were rather abysmal

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules