Sponsored Links

4G for new house

marc_wv

Hi,

I was just looking some advice...

We are in the process of moving to a new house where the broadband line is promising between 3-8Mb/s, while not that bad isn't ideal.

So I've been looking at 4G solutions but the problem I'm having is that the best signal reception is at the top of the driveway which is about 300m from the house. Obviously this is too long for ethernet cable, is there another way to bridge that gap? I thought about converting to fibre but I don't believe that PoF is a thing? or if it is getting it through a media converter is a problem.

Any advice/ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Could consider starlink, will certainly provide a better quality connection than any 4g.
yeah, that was my first thought. it would work there according to their app however for that location the website is saying mid to end of 2021. So could be a week or could be 6 months and didn't want to commit to a contract with somebody else so I could make the switch as soon as it was available

Sponsored Links
the problem I'm having is that the best signal reception is at the top of the driveway which is about 300m from the house

Do you really need the "best" reception? What are you getting just outside your house or in the loft?

As per Lucian. Just test with your mobile with a free Three, VOXI, EE sim etc. in the house - you might be surprised.

Unless you live in the absolute sticks, StartLink is overkill, especially given you can get unlimited with Smarty or the like for 15 quid a month vs. 90+ for StartLink - and if you get 1/2 decent reception and low congestion, should be able to get at least 20mbps down and 10mbps up.

I wouldn't say Starlink is better quality than any 4g connection. We used 4g for 5 years with no issues at all. Reception/setup/testing aside, 4g is certainly a good option (and considerably cheaper than Starlink presently).

Yours,
A Starlink user.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules