Sponsored Links

512k on bmb package

Hi,

I have been with freeserve\wanadoo, and now orange customer for long time now. Few days ago I called to cancel my unlimited 512k internet which I had for few years at £19.99 but was persuaded by Leanne to take the following package:

Broadband Max for 17.99 without any contract as it was a transfer (well, that is what she told me)

I got my livebox package, installed it, and everything seems to be working. Also, the VoIP phone is enabled as well. But I still have the same speed as before although my livebox tells me the following:

Connection mode : G.DMT
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 29.9
Attenuation (dB) : 52.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 6112
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream
Rate (kbps) 608

Upstream

Guy from Orange initially told me that the reason I got slow speed is because I live in rural area???? I told him, I live in Bethnal Green, East London (near Shoreditch). Then he did a test and said my BT line only support 512k. I advised him to send me an email confirming his findings which he refused to do. I insisted to talk to his manager, so he kept for 10 minutes on hold, (may be went for coffee or watch cricket or something), so I put the phone down. I had to call few times before they said to call another number, etc.

Please advice me on the followings before I take this further (more likely cancel the contract, if I can):

(1) What is ‘Attainable download rate (kbps)’
(2) Do you know any email I reach their customer service as it cost money to call them?

Thanks,
CS

if your line can support faster than 512 (which i imagion it can) it may still take BT a few days to regrade the line from the current 512 service to the mac product.

Some lines can not get more than 512K, depending on distance to the exchange, but other factors can come along.

To be sure about your line capabilities proceed as follows:

Got to http://www.samknows.com and click on the availability checker on the left menu with both your phone number and post code.

Then on the left menu, under summary, click on BT ADSL: it will tell you what speeds your line can get. Click as well on LLU to see if your exchange is LLU enabled with Wanadoo too.

Is is not Wanadoo LLU enabled your maximum speed with them will be up to 2mb (not 8Mb) as they don't use BT Adsl Max. Only take into account the Standard ADSL RAG results from the BT ADSL area if Wanadoo have no LLU there. If they have, the ADSL MAx indication should work about the same on LLU.

I hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for replying...

I am on Milend Exchange and according to http://www.samknows.com

"...Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
However, your line is currently unbundled by an LLU operator such as Be, Bulldog or Easynet. Moving to another provider may require a cease and re-provide, which may result in loss of service for a few days.

The following services are available in your location:
....Orange LLU (Formerly Wanadoo) - GREEN,

Next Page:
You are connected to the Mile End telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 3.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Next Page:
BT SDSL broadband availability

SDSL is available in your area

Next Page:
LLU xDSL presence at your exchange

The following table details the availability of LLU services at your location.
Wanadoo is available in your area (GREEN)...etc...

By the way, I got the following response from Wandaoo:

"...Dear ______,

Thank you for your email.

Your line is currently on the 512kbps speed as this is what the line can currently handle. By november the new adsl2 system should be in place and your connection speed will increase as the engineers work on the lines.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to get in contact with us again.

Kind Regards

Broadband Support

...."

To be honest with you, I am bit confused. My experience of internet has not improved moving to the new package and livebox as I am still on the same speed (not that I use internet a lot).

Any help is much appreciated,
Regards,
CS

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules