Sponsored Links

5G DCNR Status Restricted?

daleski

Pro Member
I currently have a 4GEE only EE sim in my Galaxy S20 Ultra so decided to do a bit of cellmapping and saw 5G does this mean 5G is enabled in my area but I am restricted to to being on a 4G only sim currently or does it mean something different entirely?

https://ibb.co/N3bm8zZ

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200506-133835_CellMapper.jpg
    Screenshot_20200506-133835_CellMapper.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,068
It means that it's not 5G Stand-Alone.

It needs a 4G band/signal for 5G band to work. I think it's because 5G is currently data only and even may be download only not upload (don't quote me on this).

It means that it's not 5G Stand-Alone.

It needs a 4G band/signal for 5G band to work. I think it's because 5G is currently data only and even may be download only not upload (don't quote me on this).

Thanks for that, shame I don't have a 5g sim and not willing to pay £39 for the privilege to EE for 5G just yet!

Sponsored Links
I believe it means your plan does not allow 5G connection, I think unless your plan allows 5G connection then it will not even attempt to connect to 5G - 5G networks are currently Non-Stand Alone (NSA) so they need to connect to a 4G 'anchor' site first, before adding the 5G connection. Seeing 'Restricted' for the DCNR value prevents the device from making the 5G connection.

Hopefully EE will bring down their prices then I may jump from 4g to 5g in the near future.

I believe it means your plan does not allow 5G connection, I think unless your plan allows 5G connection then it will not even attempt to connect to 5G - 5G networks are currently Non-Stand Alone (NSA) so they need to connect to a 4G 'anchor' site first, before adding the 5G connection. Seeing 'Restricted' for the DCNR value prevents the device from making the 5G connection.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the plan itself - it's more the configuration of the 5G network to specifically require the 4G to be there. The phone would try regardless to connect to 5G but not be allowed (because of the plan - barred from connecting to 5G and it wouldn't work.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the plan itself - it's more the configuration of the 5G network to specifically require the 4G to be there. The phone would try regardless to connect to 5G but not be allowed (because of the plan - barred from connecting to 5G and it wouldn't work.

I have to disagree, I'm 99% sure the DCNR flag is controlled from the provider side (MME) and I expect that to depend upon the particular plan a user has (I don't know what else would control it!?)

This GSMA document regarding upgrading from 4G to 5G, the MME in the core network should "Support 5G subscription access control (DCNR, Secondary RAT)"
1588781709868.png

This Cisco document outlines what happens with the DCNR flags
"If the RestrictDCNR bit is set to "Use of dual connectivity with NR is restricted" in the EPS network feature support IE of the Attach Accept/Tracking Area Update Accept message, the UE provides the indication that dual connectivity with NR is restricted to the upper layers. "

1588781764970.png

So I believe a device will not even attempt to connect to 5G if it has previously received the Restricted flag, the messages that communicate these occur when connecting to the network and/or switching between cells. As NSA 5G needs to have a 4G connection made before it connects, 5G wont even try connect until it has made a connection with 4G, by which point the DCNR flags will be set.

Sponsored Links
I have to disagree, I'm 99% sure the DCNR flag is controlled from the provider side (MME) and I expect that to depend upon the particular plan a user has (I don't know what else would control it!?)

This GSMA document regarding upgrading from 4G to 5G, the MME in the core network should "Support 5G subscription access control (DCNR, Secondary RAT)"
View attachment 297

This Cisco document outlines what happens with the DCNR flags
"If the RestrictDCNR bit is set to "Use of dual connectivity with NR is restricted" in the EPS network feature support IE of the Attach Accept/Tracking Area Update Accept message, the UE provides the indication that dual connectivity with NR is restricted to the upper layers. "

View attachment 298

So I believe a device will not even attempt to connect to 5G if it has previously received the Restricted flag, the messages that communicate these occur when connecting to the network and/or switching between cells. As NSA 5G needs to have a 4G connection made before it connects, 5G wont even try connect until it has made a connection with 4G, by which point the DCNR flags will be set.
DCNR Restricted status simply means that a 4G network needs to be available for 5G to function as 5G can’t run by itself.

My point was that it has nothing to do with the plan on your EE account as it’d show as restricted whether you had a 5G plan or not. That’s not what this setting indicates. Your phone doesn’t know if you have a 5G plan or not.

Your phone will attempt to connect to 5G initially - find it can’t - then not try again until perhaps the next reboot.

Are you confusing ENDC with DCNR? ENDC being the term for connecting to both 4G and 5G simultaneously (and is needed for NSA 5G networks).

As per the high level steps highlighted in this Medium article for when a UE device is wishing to connect to 5G:
  1. The UE attaches to the LTE network. The UE signals to the network that it can simultaneously connect to the 4G and 5G networks.
  2. The Core Network checks if the UE is authorized to connect to 4G and 5G networks. The 4G eNodeB is notified that the UE is permitted to connect to the 5G network.
  3. The eNodeB then takes a decision to activate a bearer on the 5G gNodeB.
  4. The 4G eNodeB and 5G gNodeB communicate to set up the bearer on the 5G gNodeB.
  5. The UE is notified about the 5G bearer via the RRC Connection Reconfiguration message.
  6. The UE then connects to the 5G network while maintaining the connectivity to the 4G network.

The bold emphasis is mine, and this is the point when the account/subscription for 5G on the line being used is checked to ensure that it is allowed to connect to 5G - if not, DCNR is set to Restricted and the remaining steps do not complete.

Cellmapper have their app developed so if the DCNR is Restricted then it shows the restriction against the [5G DCNR Status] attribute.

FYI, if the DCNR is unrestricted and there is 5G available in the area, but not connected, cellmapper will hide the DCNR status and show the other pertinent 5G information, something like this:
1588837935277.png

If there was no 5G available in the area then the [5G Available] and [5G ENDC Available] flags would be false.

When 5G does connect it'll show LTE+NR and [5G State] connected:
1588838018279.png

Last edited:
Are you confusing ENDC with DCNR? ENDC being the term for connecting to both 4G and 5G simultaneously (and is needed for NSA 5G networks).

As per the high level steps highlighted in this Medium article for when a UE device is wishing to connect to 5G:

The bold emphasis is mine, and this is the point when the account/subscription for 5G on the line being used is checked to ensure that the line being used is allowed to connect to 5G - if not, DCNR is set to Restricted and the remaining steps do not complete.

Cellmapper have their app developed so if the DCNR is Restricted then it shows the restriction against the [5G DCNR Status] attribute.

FYI, if the DCNR is unrestricted and there is 5G available in the area, but not connected, cellmapper will hide the DCNR status and show the other pertinent 5G information, something like this:
View attachment 299
If there was no 5G available in the area then the [5G Available] and [5G ENDC Available] flags would be false.

When 5G does connect it'll show LTE+NR and [5G State] connected:
View attachment 301
I must have been mistaken then - perhaps thinking of another acronym.

I can confirm 100% its controlled by provider.

when you get that sorta reading it meens 5g is disabled network side.

i have the same myself on voxi sim, 5g is blocked but if i put my voda business sim in it shows connect and not restricted from same location and same site.

Sponsored Links
See the below

Voxi Plan with supposedly 5G enabled (yet cant pickup 5g anywhere but shows the 5G status i.e blocked.

Vodafone Business Plan: Connected to 5G at same place

Attachments

• VOXI LIMITED 4G.jpg
    VOXI LIMITED 4G.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 968
  • VODAFONE FULL 5G.jpg
    VODAFONE FULL 5G.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 979
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules