Sponsored

5G on 3 Network for home

Rowbox

Hoping someone can help me. I have tried a 5G sim in my phone for 3 network, which works fine with 5G, so I thought I'd try home broadband. However when I check coverage on line it tells me 5g for home broadband is not available in my area. I asked why I can get 5G through phone if it's not in my area, and 3 network support just said because it's not the same. However if I put my 5G sim in my 4G router it works fine (only receiving 4G obviously). So my question is this, why can I receive 5G on phone but not for home broadband.
I've seen some attractive deals on phonesltd.co.uk (anyone used them), which would give me much faster speed than my fibre broadband

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
You can definitely use that SIM in a 5G router and it'll work.

However, do note "mobile" experience can vary a lot, depending on certain things such as number of users in the area, weather (sometimes), backhaul and others. A proper FTTC connection should be much more reliable and also have lower latency, think twice before migrating.

The "home broadband" thing is more of a "soft" distinction rather than what's possible in reality. They treat the "home broadband" differently from a marketing and organisational perspective, because it targets a different audience compared to their usual mobile client base and it also leads to much higher data usage.

Also, when you are using the "home broadband" product, you get a public IP assigned which may help with certain things, like port forwarding to some services (eg CCTV cameras) or can help with certain games.

Rowbox

You can definitely use that SIM in a 5G router and it'll work.

However, do note "mobile" experience can vary a lot, depending on certain things such as number of users in the area, weather (sometimes), backhaul and others. A proper FTTC connection should be much more reliable and also have lower latency, think twice before migrating.

The "home broadband" thing is more of a "soft" distinction rather than what's possible in reality. They treat the "home broadband" differently from a marketing and organisational perspective, because it targets a different audience compared to their usual mobile client base and it also leads to much higher data usage.

Also, when you are using the "home broadband" product, you get a public IP assigned which may help with certain things, like port forwarding to some services (eg CCTV cameras) or can help with certain games.
That's what I thought will use phone for tethering until 5G routers become cheaper. many thanks. Tony

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Three are (or were) applying a stop-sell of 'home broadband' products to areas/postcodes where their network capacity doesn't meet their criteria.

In the case of 5G I believe that was where they haven't (yet) enabled their full 100mhz bandwidth (it's usually limited to 40mhz until sufficient backhaul capacity is installed, and often they don't show it on their coverage maps either) so while you may receive it on your phone in your area they won't sell 5G to you for home-broadband purposes.

As above, that doesn't mean you couldn't "DIY it" and use your own 5G enabled SIM with a bring-your-own 5G router.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team

The article talks about 4G, but it's a 5G issue too, except we didn't really notice that earlier due to the limited coverage of their network in Feb 2021. Nevertheless, a lot of 4G and 5G areas still cannot order their home broadband product, even if you can get it on your mobile. It's a bit silly really.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
It does, but I'm actually happy they've done it - for once they've put the network/engineering before sales/marketing - I can only assume it's the new(ish) top level management that's come into the business.

With mobile there is nothing stopping you going wherever you want to (except, for example, during a lockdown), so they can't really prevent that, but with FWA they can because they have a high level of certainty of where the load would be added to and if they can prevent an already loaded site from being under more pressure.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
How can you tell if the mast has the full 100MHz, I donā€™t have any 5G devices and just want to know out of interest

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Network Signal Info is the best (perhaps only?) way to know for sure. However dropping a nearby postcode into the Three broadband availability checker and being offered the 5G hub is probably a good indication.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £21.95 (*24.95)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £22.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: 12 Months of Norton 360
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Community Fibre £20.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Double Speed Boost
  • Virgin Media £25.00 (*51.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00 (*28.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £29.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3278)
  2. BT (2951)
  3. Building Digital UK (1860)
  4. FTTC (1859)
  5. Politics (1846)
  6. Openreach (1766)
  7. Business (1611)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1389)
  9. Statistics (1364)
  10. FTTH (1361)
  11. 4G (1201)
  12. Fibre Optic (1136)
  13. Wireless Internet (1120)
  14. Virgin Media (1109)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1108)
  16. EE (794)
  17. Vodafone (791)
  18. TalkTalk (739)
  19. Sky Broadband (719)
  20. 5G (685)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules