Sponsored

5G on the mountain! - Rogers Canada

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The video suggests they ran a new fibre optic cable some 150km up the mountain (probably via re-use of existing duct) and then, I'd assume, used that to supply a mast. Position that mast high enough and you'd be able to deliver fairly good coverage, but there will be limits.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
The video suggests they ran a new fibre optic cable some 150km up the mountain (probably via re-use of existing duct) and then, I'd assume, used that to supply a mast. Position that mast high enough and you'd be able to deliver fairly good coverage, but there will be limits.
So in the video you can see the cells on top of a building I used to live in whilst working their, there was already a Roger 2G network but it operated using the Sunshine Village companies leased line which used to get terribly congested in winter season between operations connections and public WiFi.

Based on the geography the cells on that building never managed top get over the next climb in the mountains but now there is newer towers/masts been put up a top of the next climb too,

I imagine that this has been made possible by a joint effort, likely that Sunshine has signed a deal with Rogers to provide a leased line and this is split to serve the mobile network too.

Rogers has also announced what seems to be a merger with cable company Shaw which has huge coverage out in Western Canada (including the Bow Valley) and Sunshine used to have TV deal with Shaw to provide the hotel and outlets though this seemed to be satellite fed and split via analogue across the mountain using fibres (RFoG)

All the media and telecom's on the hill was very outdated so a huge overhaul during the downtime the past year probably brought about a lot of work to update everything.

Telus also provided service up there and when I up their for a few months was the only provider with LTE, by the looks of things they've yet to extend coverage outside of Calgary.

dabigm

Top Member
I would have thought a few microwave towers might have done the job. But yeah now you can Ski and Surf.

Sorry I'll get my coat.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I think the move may also be to move reliance on RF radio for operations communications, I believe the licenses where tremendously expensive.

To be honest, its amazing how little this will be used in comparison to a UK setup, as I've shared previously data is super expensive and also very limited, when I lived in this area as a ski bum most people didn't have sim cards in phones, and iPod touches where preferred to iPhones.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • NOW £22.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*36.52)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Offer Code: SPRUCE20
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • TalkTalk £29.95 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3203)
  2. BT (2919)
  3. FTTC (1848)
  4. Building Digital UK (1847)
  5. Politics (1826)
  6. Openreach (1744)
  7. Business (1587)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1371)
  9. FTTH (1355)
  10. Statistics (1345)
  11. 4G (1181)
  12. Fibre Optic (1127)
  13. Wireless Internet (1106)
  14. Virgin Media (1099)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1094)
  16. EE (784)
  17. Vodafone (775)
  18. TalkTalk (734)
  19. Sky Broadband (713)
  20. 5G (664)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules