Sponsored

5G: The outsourced elephant in the room

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Excellent post by mr Hubert (of Powerdns fame) which paints a bleak picture on European 5g/lte infrastructure. I won't tl;dr it, needs to be read.

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Flipping heck! That's serious downtime.
So Ericsson's fault? Fscked Kubernetes upgrade, who knows. At least it wasn't DNS. :)
Like that guy says, we see "how fragile" it all is. Thinking our whole civilisation basically hangs off a few threads can give one an anxiety attack.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Reminds me of the O2 one that happened some years ago. That was really bad - was it just data that stopped? Can't remember the cause of that one.
Exactly what I was thinking, that was also an ericsson issue from what I remember, it stopped all data/sms/calling also.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
"how fragile" it all is. Thinking our whole civilisation basically hangs off a few threads can give one an anxiety attack.
Well the thing that hits me about this is the experience I've had and also speaking to other Canadians, we see networks in Canada grossly under-used when compared to UK and other countries around the world...

This has lead to great reliability and never really hear about or see anything relating to heavy usage, this is helped by less dense populations of people using the network and also the expensive and heavily restricted plans sold by networks in that territory.

And as was said in the story above, it wasn't exactly a 'network issue' but a config by a third party leading to the outage, and the outstanding information is 'how has it been fixed or even has it been averted by diverting traffic away from effected equipment'

Can any of the vendors be trusted?

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I distinctly remember the O2 one; I was a giffgaff customer at the time and being in a deeply O2 Ericson zone, it hit HARD. No maps, no WhatsApp, no calls, no nothing. Can't remember how long it went on for now, I think it was a day or two tho.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Yeah, remember that day, also on Giffgaff. I think I got £2 of something compensation. :))
Lucky, I got nowt cos they loved me dearly obviously :)

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
Get the feeling the fragility of the West's infrastructure being highlighted like this is just giving China and Russia more idea's.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Get the feeling the fragility of the West's infrastructure being highlighted like this is just giving China and Russia more idea's.
Meh, not if they already know of the vulnerabilities, this equipment and its software is developed under their care anyway.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • Shell Energy £22.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: 12 Months of Norton 360
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*36.52)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Offer Code: SPRUCE20
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • TalkTalk £29.95 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3218)
  2. BT (2927)
  3. Building Digital UK (1853)
  4. FTTC (1852)
  5. Politics (1835)
  6. Openreach (1751)
  7. Business (1592)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1376)
  9. FTTH (1359)
  10. Statistics (1353)
  11. 4G (1184)
  12. Fibre Optic (1129)
  13. Wireless Internet (1110)
  14. Virgin Media (1102)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1101)
  16. EE (787)
  17. Vodafone (778)
  18. TalkTalk (736)
  19. Sky Broadband (714)
  20. 5G (671)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules