Sponsored

8meg downgrade?

really

Just wondering if any other demon users have been downgraded to the new 8meg service and having the same nightmare as me and are wondering whats going on.

My upgrade went through with no notification and immediately gaming was useless. Ping times are high, packet loss is high and speeds are much lower than I was getting on the home2000 service.

Speeds dropped from approx 200K to 30K during the day and 120~500 after 2am. Pings are consistently poor, latency poor, packet loss 1~16% and unless you like lag online gaming is useless. And my router syncs at 8192 down, 448 up!

Anyway a few calls to the call centre turned up some info that I had been migrated to the adsl plus service and this quality of service is normal because the service is designed for web browsing and email and is NOT suitable for gaming. The reason is twofold according to support, Interleaving is turned on for all demon customers which adds 20~40ms RTT therefore introduces latency and the connection is highly contended so congestion = low speeds & dropped packets.

So to round this off, the only option (which I have accepted) is to move back to the original 2mb product.

Seems that this new ADSL MAX is flawed at best and useful for speed badge hunters only.

Oh and although the indian support centre are hard to understand they do know about poor online gaming due to ADSL MAX / 8mb ADSL which is a plus point.

Will post back the results when I get my upgrade back to 2mb.

Glovepup

ULTIMATE Member
interleaving on by default, now that sucks!! Interleaving is used to correct errors on dsl, it takes data and rearranges it. This process unfortunately adds time to your latency.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
still it only really matters if your a gamer.. shouldnt really bother regular users.

nodrog

ULTIMATE Member
my eclipse flex account has been put up from 2mb to 8mb but on contacting eclipse it seems bt have done the regrading as they are fasing out the older fixed speed lines averaging 1.6mb over last few days with 0.4mb lowest and 2,4mb highest. orininal package was 512k but could go upto 2mb by payng 5p per hour extra for increas from .5 to 1mb or 2mb.....

i only noticed speed change when usb adaptor was having problems connecting with router looking at router stats i noticed download connection was now 8127 and upload at 448,

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2512)
  2. FTTP (2205)
  3. FTTC (1659)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1239)
  8. Statistics (1100)
  9. FTTH (1076)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (969)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (596)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules