Sponsored Links

_Very_ Interesting Figures From PlusNet

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
Have a read of this -

Information on the 1% Figure

Over the course of this past year there has been a lot of action taken on the PlusNet network to counter the effects of the heaviest of users who have been causing issues for the remaining users.

PlusNet have always quoted this figure as "The Top 1%" of customers which became hard to swallow for many people. So, the Usergroup asked PlusNet to give us a detailed breakdown of customer usage statistics to back up their claims.

PlusNet have subsequently released figures that cover usage for September and October 2005 to back up their claim that a small percentage of users are hogging a huge percentage of the bandwidth.

The Usergroup has held many discussions regarding these figures, both in private and face to face with PlusNet, and it is clear that whilst the average download per broadband customer is 5.28GB, the top 10% of users download an average 36.72 GB, more than 5 times as much.

The top 1% of users across all products download an astonishing average of 107.20GB each (more than 20 times the overall average) – and surprisingly the "top 10" do not use P2P at all, instead using external Usenet providers.

We approached PlusNet and asked for permission to pass on the details of the usage - in all honesty, expecting to be informed that they are commercially sensitive and confidential and therefore not to be divulged - and have been allowed to share the figures with you.

The following table displays the average GB per month figures (based on the last 2 months of data at the time of writing this) for Premier users, Plus users and All PlusNet customers in total. The data has been broken down to show averages for the whole userbase, the 0-90% bracket and then each individual percentile up to 100%.

plusonepercent5kv.gif

There were 498 customers in the top 1% of Broadband Premier and 370 customers in the top 1% of Broadband Plus. There were 1,439 customers in the top 1% of All Customers, which includes PAYG and Business (Note: These figures apply to Broadband customers only)

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_1pctfigures.php

I was using between 20-30GB/month on BB+ which I guessed was above average but _never_ thought I was in the top 3% of users.

Out of interest please post your own average usage figures and where you would appear on the chart. :)

Was on PlusNet PAYG until switching to Metronet in mid October, usually just under 2GB, sometimes a bit over but never hit 3GB, so I guess that would have put me in the 0-90% bracket in the "All Customers" column.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but not in those figures of theirs, so I thought I'd better mention that I'm an "ex" or people who know who I'm now with might wonder what the heck I'd included mine for! :D

hi
I'm with metronet I didn't know plusnet brought metronet when ?
I hope the service doesn't deteriorate at the moment its excellent not like plusnet :( :(

tridens said:
hi
I'm with metronet I didn't know plusnet brought metronet when ?
I hope the service doesn't deteriorate at the moment its excellent not like plusnet :( :(

Last week i think, its somewhere on the ISPr site.

Sponsored Links
Im on BB+ and my last 3 months have been

5gb
16gb
6gb (with 7 days to go)

Just checked my usage for last month and I used 160gig.

I'm glad there are some other above average users around, for a while it looked like I was going to be the only one. Just to be clear I wasn't asking just for PlusNet users to post but anybody at all.

LeeH said:
Just checked my usage for last month and I used 160gig.

I don't suppose you can be too specific (ballpark figure will do) but since a lot of users that other ISPs would consider absolute nightmares, usage wise, have moved to Zen how many GBs are your top 1% downloading per month. :)

Sponsored Links
Bob2002 said:
I don't suppose you can be too specific (ballpark figure will do) but since a lot of users that other ISPs would consider absolute nightmares, usage wise, have moved to Zen how many GBs are your top 1% downloading per month. :)

Not a clue Bob but I know a couple of the guys in the office go through over 100 gig a week.

After downloading debian and fedora core 4 DVD's last night I racked up 12GB approx (damn debian DVD download failed 1st time at 4GB down with NO resume :eek: so It was downloaded twice)

12GB in 1 day :eek: god knows what I could rack up in a week if I tried

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules