Sponsored

A 3 Pole of Wonder

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
I noticed some work pending for one of the MBNL poles near me, not very hopeful of any upgrades since it only broadcasts band 20 for 3, I want a pole of wonder.
I just hope the rain stops soon Zathan, not wanting any extra delays to my beloved pole of wonder.😟

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
I never thought abit of rain would stop them working, then again, when work is being done on roads, it seems like they come out, scatter around some cones and go back home.
The rain has been relentless though, really heavy, still chucking it down.

Not a cone left in sight, just a pile of very wet mud.

Fingers crossed it dries up soon and they all come back so I can get excited again and sleep at night. :ROFLMAO:

TallPaul_S

Planned work on my pole is still scheduled for Monday and Tuesday. Fingers crossed for the full switch on! 🀞

My speed has increased a bit over the last few days though, seeing over 200mbps download quite regularly now even mid-day when it would normally be around 150-160mbps.

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Planned work on my pole is still scheduled for Monday and Tuesday. Fingers crossed for the full switch on! 🀞
At least you 2 have poles, they took my bits n bobs away before they even started.:cry:

Good luck for Monday and Tuesday TallPaul_S.🀞

TallPaul_S

Work started on my pole at 7pm last night, could see massive floodlights on the area, and my cell ID changed to my old pole yesterday evening. The old 4G mast is still there as I type, and I'm back connected to the new pole as of this morning, but only for 4G at the moment. Work is still ongoing until midnight apparently, here's hoping they switch on 5G on the new pole tonight! 🀞

TallPaul_S

So...

I've moved my router all of 4ft, and....

12305975824.png

Upload is poor but with the router the other side of the house (where the new mast is (it's currently the complete opposite side of the house) I know I've had 25mbps upload before.

Need to do some re arranging and testing of speed once the router is on the same side of the house as the new monopole.

TallPaul_S

Think there's still work being done/they're still playing with the signal so I think I need to give it a day or 3 for the signal to stabilise, literally 12 inches difference in router location is meaning the difference between 11 ping, or 22 ping, and 220mbps download, or 600mbps download...

I might also have a cable issue somewhere as when I was seeing 600-700mbps on wifi direct to the router, I was only seeing 300mbps on ethernet, via a couple of switches. I've a feeling where the router is currently is right on the edge of the 2 mast signals and it's connecting to one or the other with tiny movements in location.

And don't get me started on the 5G stats, the fastest speeds seemed to coincide with the worst signal!! :ROFLMAO:

On the plus side, I timed a 1GB file download to take under 13 seconds. That's quite frankly ridiculous.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Think there's still work being done/they're still playing with the signal so I think I need to give it a day or 3 for the signal to stabilise, literally 12 inches difference in router location is meaning the difference between 11 ping, or 22 ping, and 220mbps download, or 600mbps download...

I might also have a cable issue somewhere as when I was seeing 600-700mbps on wifi direct to the router, I was only seeing 300mbps on ethernet, via a couple of switches. I've a feeling where the router is currently is right on the edge of the 2 mast signals and it's connecting to one or the other with tiny movements in location.

And don't get me started on the 5G stats, the fastest speeds seemed to coincide with the worst signal!! :ROFLMAO:

On the plus side, I timed a 1GB file download to take under 13 seconds. That's quite frankly ridiculous.
All those issues sound like they'd be resolved if they took away your new pole of wonder. Hold on, I'll just let them know... πŸ˜‰

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
All those issues sound like they'd be resolved if they took away your new pole of wonder. Hold on, I'll just let them know... πŸ˜‰
Great idea Gavin, then I'll not be the only one to have their pole of wonder stolen from them. (y)πŸ˜…;)

(Well a cabinet, hole and the ground mount):rolleyes:

TallPaul_S

Well the 5G signal from the new mast is still there, although the Three network maintenance checker say's they're still doing work in my area.

Unfortunately with 2x people WFH this week from 9am until 8pm I'm not going to have chance to play around with location until the weekend, but in my office at the front of the house I can move the router down out of window level which means it connects to the new 310m mast rather than the old 2.4km mast, and I'm seeing a reliable 500+mbps download:
12308947790.png

This is the layout with the 2 mast directions and distances. I'm limited to my office at the front and the living room at the back due to ethernet cabling in the house.
5G.png

With the router at the back of the house I see upload increase to 25-30mbps - not sure on download as I've not been able to get a reliable signal there with the brief time I had last night.

TallPaul_S

OK, so I lied. I have managed to have a play with location tonight.

It REALLY does not like being behind the TV. Must be some strong interference there. 3ft away however.... (ethernet to the other side of the house, test run on my office PC)

7c81ae78-3ced-4ba6-90be-8b58a161e064.png

I've not even tried upstairs yet. Even though it's not a location I can have it permanently, I might see if I can get close to 1gbps on wifi. :p

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £21.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Β£75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £25.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4015)
  2. BT (3131)
  3. Politics (2086)
  4. Building Digital UK (2007)
  5. Openreach (1950)
  6. FTTC (1917)
  7. Business (1803)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1588)
  9. Statistics (1487)
  10. FTTH (1369)
  11. 4G (1359)
  12. Virgin Media (1264)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1229)
  14. Fibre Optic (1221)
  15. Wireless Internet (1220)
  16. Vodafone (920)
  17. EE (899)
  18. 5G (874)
  19. TalkTalk (815)
  20. Sky Broadband (782)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules