Sponsored Links

A 3 Pole of Wonder

Must have used some good paint on it knowing it'd have to cope with the Scottish weather :LOL:
Yes I think you just might be right there Gavin. :ROFLMAO:

Hi everyone,
We've had a 3PoW granted really close to where I live in N.E.Lincs, however, it was approved in August last year, and nothing is showing on one.network for the next 12 months. The planning app is here:

Click

Is it normal for them to wait over 6 months to start work? I wonder if its because the council want it painting green?

Cheers :)

That's not far from Morrisons.
Nope! Very close to the existing mast at Morrisons! If you look on the council portal, I've managed to piece together that the original plan was to scrap the Morrisons mast and shift it across the road (where that bloke always tries to advertise cars at Cottagers Plot). But it seems the nimby's were awfully scared of the 5g waves attacking their Brians, and the mast disrupting their pristine view of Morrisons and McD's....
So it seems that Three decided to send it down the road outside Spar. They've even done some work on the now saved Morrisons mast and added what looks like a GPS antenna to it a few months back (what's that for folks??).
I could just email the guy listed at WHP in the application, but its more to fun to speculate right?

GPS antenna is for syncing 5G, actual one discussed on this forum before. My nanna used to live at Cottagers Plo(a)t. Small world.

GPS antenna is for syncing 5G, actual one discussed on this forum before. My nanna used to live at Cottagers Plo(a)t. Small world.
Haha yeah it is!!
Walk the dog down there every now n then :)

I wondered if it was to do with 5G.... so is the Morrisons mast still 4G but been updated ready to be the 5G upload for the new mast? Or is the Morrisons mast 5G now? If so the coverage maps don't give that impression. Hmm...!

The pole next to the POW looks to be Voda/O2 cornerstone....

I've yet to come across one of those poles on anything other than O2/VF tbh
It's definitely the old EE/Three pole - VO2's pole is a bit further down the road

Yes they're a bit less common for MBNL, but they are around. This is another, near me

They're known as "Phase 5", as on Peters site (need to click the Phase 5 tab, I can't link directly to it)

Haha yeah it is!!
Walk the dog down there every now n then :)

I wondered if it was to do with 5G.... so is the Morrisons mast still 4G but been updated ready to be the 5G upload for the new mast? Or is the Morrisons mast 5G now? If so the coverage maps don't give that impression. Hmm...!
Yes it is still 4G.

Screenshot_20220415-202546_Photos.jpg

Just wondering if there's any specific reason why the 5G antennas on 3 poles of wonder are so small compared to the 4G antennas?

Is it single frequency related perhaps, so they don't have to be so large?

Just curious what you think folks.:unsure:

I like to know these unimportant things.☺️

View attachment 2351
Just wondering if there's any specific reason why the 5G antennas on 3 poles of wonder are so small compared to the 4G antennas?

My guess would be the frequency, radio waves decrease in size as frequency increases( i think)

I thought I'd check the planning applications from my area (Peter's dashboard is missing most of them), and it's much worse than I thought. There's been 7 nearby applications over the last few years, and all of them have been refused. There's 2 additional 5G sites I'm aware of, one of which is an existing lattice tower, the other on a building roof - unfortunately, neither of them reach my home.

Seems like they may have given up locally, there's no other existing poles to try and upgrade, and most the area is showing some level of "outdoor only" 5G coverage. :(

Attachments

• gimp-2.10_2022-04-15_23-47-20-min.png
    gimp-2.10_2022-04-15_23-47-20-min.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 74
A fixed 5G router should be able to get better reception than a phone. If you can use an external antenna you'll stand an even better chance. Remember for indoor reception you will expect to be able to use your phone everywhere indoors. But a router only has to get a signal in one place and you can leave it there.
This is my location with estimated 5G signal from Three.
As you can see, my home is in a little blank pocket. The 5G tower is about 2 miles away and is not line of sight. I can get a 3-4 bar 5G signal in just one small spot in a bedroom window sill. It's conveniently by a power socket and is out of the way so that's where it stays, and wi-fi is fine from there.
Typical speeds are about 250-350 mb/s down 15-20mb/s up. It'll do me.

3 5g coverage 2022-03-03 12-14-41-264.jpg

The point I'm trying to make is that if you have outdoor reception indicated for your location or very close to it you stand a good chance of being lucky with a router.

A fixed 5G router should be able to get better reception than a phone. If you can use an external antenna you'll stand an even better chance. Remember for indoor reception you will expect to be able to use your phone everywhere indoors. But a router only has to get a signal in one place and you can leave it there.
This is my location with estimated 5G signal from Three.
As you can see, my home is in a little blank pocket. The 5G tower is about 2 miles away and is not line of sight. I can get a 3-4 bar 5G signal in just one small spot in a bedroom window sill. It's conveniently by a power socket and is out of the way so that's where it stays, and wi-fi is fine from there.
Typical speeds are about 250-350 mb/s down 15-20mb/s up. It'll do me.

View attachment 2354

The point I'm trying to make is that if you have outdoor reception indicated for your location or very close to it you stand a good chance of being lucky with a router.
Unfortunately it's probably not gonna be the case for me. I'll admit I haven't managed to actually test it with a 5G phone or router yet, but neither my phone or B535 at the highest point of the loft is able to pick up an LTE signal from the 5G-enabled towers. I'm at a 70+ degree angle off the broadcasting antennas, surrounded by other buildings and trees, with a very hilly topography :confused:

I covered my situation in another thread, and I have an obstructed line of sight to both towers (and I don't believe the tool even accounts for trees and buildings). Who knows, I'll try to get my hands on a 5G router if I see one cheap but otherwise I'll just leave it, for the time being at least.

Hello there. Long time reader of these forums first time post. Want to talk about how long it takes for these poles to go live.

We have had a ton of these phase 7/8 poles go up in Glasgow’s east end over the last year. Some of them active some of them not. In particular there are at least 4 that have been up for well over a year (including one phase 7 pole next to Glasgow green which has missing antenna panels which has been up for almost two years now) which are not broadcasting anything yet.

Example 1: Glasgow green phase 7 pole next to the High Court. Has a missing 5G antenna array and has done since 2020. I’m convinced it’s the old Alifabs pole next to it which gives service to both EE and Three.

Example 2: Dalmarnock Clyde Gateway Phase 8 Monopole. This monopole has been up for at least a year and it isn’t switched on, I thought it might have been as I get service at Dalmarnock station (400-500mbit down) but standing about 10m from the pole there is no 5G service and very poor LTE throughput.

Example 3: Bridgeton Newhall Street Phase 8 Monopole: Has been sat since July last year with nothing broadcasting. I’ve even listened to hear if I can hear the fans from the router equipment inside this particular pole and it’s not switched on.

Example 4: Rutherglen, Dalmarnock Road Phase 8 Monopole: This is the most recent addition and will serve what is a dead zone on Three/EE’s network. This pole has been up since January.

I’m pretty sure the backhaul has been served to these sites already as I’ve seen the roadworks out to get these sites connected to backhaul.

Anyone had any simailar experiences?

Hello there. Long time reader of these forums first time post. Want to talk about how long it takes for these poles to go live.

We have had a ton of these phase 7/8 poles go up in Glasgow’s east end over the last year. Some of them active some of them not. In particular there are at least 4 that have been up for well over a year (including one phase 7 pole next to Glasgow green which has missing antenna panels which has been up for almost two years now) which are not broadcasting anything yet.

Example 1: Glasgow green phase 7 pole next to the High Court. Has a missing 5G antenna array and has done since 2020. I’m convinced it’s the old Alifabs pole next to it which gives service to both EE and Three.

Example 2: Dalmarnock Clyde Gateway Phase 8 Monopole. This monopole has been up for at least a year and it isn’t switched on, I thought it might have been as I get service at Dalmarnock station (400-500mbit down) but standing about 10m from the pole there is no 5G service and very poor LTE throughput.

Example 3: Bridgeton Newhall Street Phase 8 Monopole: Has been sat since July last year with nothing broadcasting. I’ve even listened to hear if I can hear the fans from the router equipment inside this particular pole and it’s not switched on.

Example 4: Rutherglen, Dalmarnock Road Phase 8 Monopole: This is the most recent addition and will serve what is a dead zone on Three/EE’s network. This pole has been up since January.

I’m pretty sure the backhaul has been served to these sites already as I’ve seen the roadworks out to get these sites connected to backhaul.

Anyone had any simailar experiences?
Yep. There's a fair few where I am which aren't active but have been up about a year or so. Not sure if they're going for a mass switch on rather than an individual basis?

I wish they'd hurry up.

Yep. There's a fair few where I am which aren't active but have been up about a year or so. Not sure if they're going for a mass switch on rather than an individual basis?

I wish they'd hurry up.
What’s funny is I passed the Newhall Street mast on my way into town today and that one has literally just been turned on in the space of the last week with some astounding throughput no less.

The Rutherglen mast isn’t on yet and I’ll have a look at the other two on my walk home this evening.

Attachments

• 2BAC4E0C-9CC9-4DEF-938F-1FF48E88C1C6.jpeg
    2BAC4E0C-9CC9-4DEF-938F-1FF48E88C1C6.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 78
View attachment 2351

What's with those circular rings? They look totally different to the three masts i've seen in England. Interesting ..

What's with those circular rings? They look totally different to the three masts i've seen in England. Interesting ..
It looks like they're just there to disguise the cables. Not sure why they aren't solid cones though, I guess just to look unique?

Maybe just so it's easier to hang the Christmas lights from dabigm.🤭

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules