Sponsored Links

A 3 Pole of Wonder

A three 'Small Cell Pole of Wonder' anyone?

Small Cell Poles of Wonder

From Peter C.

Hope it's of interest to someone folks.

I'll have one on my street light thank you three. 😊

Last edited:
A three 'Small Cell Pole of Wonder' anyone?

Video

From Peter C.

Hope it's of interest to someone folks.

I'll have one on my street light thank you three. 😊

Thank you for posting. This is of insane interest to me. I had no idea there were deployments like this anywhere in the U.K. Using street lamp posts and existing structures to rollout small cell antennas like this is quite possibly the best way you can solve capacity problems with a mobile network.

I seen a lot of deployments similar to this when I was in the USA (Orlando) just about a month ago. About every 100 metres or so there’s a cellular antenna on top of a lot of lamp posts.

And the mini low profile antennas are great too! These are ideal for areas where planning application refusals are rampant because of aesthetics. I still like the Phase 8 poles though… there’s just a feeling from them that they’ve been built to improve your mobile network experience, it’s visual confirmation that 5G is here or it is coming.

The performance from these minitowers and street lamp antennas look great at over 1gbps, doesn’t look like much but they mean business.

I would LOVE a deployment like this to exist in Glasgow city centre. The underperformance in Glasgow gives me a massive nosebleed sometimes.

They do look rather spiffing wee things Ewan, and quite a few lamposts around all ready for them too.:cool:

I have a new POW nearby, 680m away! There was a planning request last year by CK Hutchinson that was rejected by South Glos Council. Unbeknown to me CKH appealed, citing in their argument that there was already one monopole there so another wouldn't make things much worse. And back in March SGC accepted the appeal. A friend was in the vicinity today and said two monopoles were being erected. I suspect she saw the new one going up plus the original one which belongs to another telco, either Vodaphone or EE, and thought it was new as well. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Now the interminable wait for it to go live.

I have a new POW nearby! There was a planning request last year by CK Hutchinson that was rejected by South Glos Council. Unbeknown to me CKH appealed, citing in their argument that there was already one monopole there so another wouldn't make things much worse. And back in March SGC accepted the appeal. A friend was in the vicinity today and said two monopoles were being erected. I suspect she saw the new one going up plus the original one which belongs to another telco, either Vodaphone or EE, and thought it was new as well. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Aw you lucky dog eccles, all right for some.
Keep us all posted on the progress of your new erection. 🤭

Looking forward to seeing the piccies. (y)

I have a new POW nearby, 680m away! There was a planning request last year by CK Hutchinson that was rejected by South Glos Council. Unbeknown to me CKH appealed, citing in their argument that there was already one monopole there so another wouldn't make things much worse. And back in March SGC accepted the appeal. A friend was in the vicinity today and said two monopoles were being erected. I suspect she saw the new one going up plus the original one which belongs to another telco, either Vodaphone or EE, and thought it was new as well. I'll check it out tomorrow.

amazing. Glad your council isn't as NIMBY as mine. They're still busy rejecting applications here

A similar but unusual situation happened in Falkirk. Three applied to Falkirk Council back in Dec 2020. The application went undecided by the council and Three exercised Permitted Development Rights a few months later. Road works have been planned for August so they might try install it this time.

Here it is. The one on the right is already running (Vodaphone). I wonder if CKH had appealed with its first submission of a 20m pole they might have got it. As it is it's 15m but at least the 5G antenna is at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_20220817_093704878.jpg
    IMG_20220817_093704878.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 106
Here it is. The one on the right is already running (Vodaphone). I wonder if CKH had appealed with its first submission of a 20m pole they might have got it. As it is it's 15m but at least the 5G antenna is at the top.

That’s a very short looking phase 8 compared to the Orion pole next to it. The coverage footprint from it will be tiny.

Just wondering is there is any way to find the location of pow, in my home town I know where one is its two streets down from my house, I was walking around a housing estate in my town a few weeks back that I don't usually walk around 5G was quite good over 500 Mbps but couldn't figure out where it was transmitting from it was too far from the pow at my area and none of Three macrocell that I know of nearby are 5G enabled.

Just wondering is there is any way to find the location of pow
You tried checking on cellmapper? I'm not sure if it varies by region, but over here all the POW masts have eNB's in the 40-50 thousands. I'm not sure if they keep the eNBs when upgrading existing sites though, they're all new up here.

You tried checking on cellmapper? I'm not sure if it varies by region, but over here all the POW masts have eNB's in the 40-50 thousands. I'm not sure if they keep the eNBs when upgrading existing sites though, they're all new up here.
Yes all the new antennas popping up around here have eNB's of 50***

The Irvine 5G upgrade kept its existing eNB though.

The Irvine 5G upgrade kept its existing eNB though.
Ah, that's a shame. Makes it much more difficult to scout them out on cellmapper. I suppose filtering to bands B1+B3+B20 would probably help narrow the search down a lot though, all their older setups over here only service two bands at most (B3, B1+B3 or B3+B20).

It'll do me if it has a half-mile range. And at least they've put the 5G antenna at the top
These monopoles tend to have about a 2000-3000M circumference so that should be fine for you (or about 1000-1500M from the pole). So you should be fine.

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules