Sponsored

A few questions...

Megahy

Pro Member
I am getting one way Sattelite when I move ( in a few weeks ). This is simply becuase no BBand is available yet where I will be moving to.

So I need a good upload connection, preferably one which does not cut off etc. Now demon seems to be a good choice. Upon looking at there website though, I didn't actually find it very clear as to what I was looking at.

I will be wanting a 64k ISDN or 128K ISDN. Am I right in thinking I must pay for the £24.99 from BT, then the demon prices ? How much are the Demon prices, as I also couldn't find these onsite.

I also found something to do with signing up with with BT surftime, what's all this about ?

Basically I want a 24hour connection if required with no cutoff times, and no bandwidth limits. Is there a flat rate package ? For example £20 a month for unlimited calls etc ?

Can someone please help me out here with the prices ! Also the names of the packages for the prices...

Thank you very much in advance !!!!!

Also, do I need a special ISDN modem ? Or will a bog standard modem work ?

Last edited:

Muggins

ok heres my attempt at the explanation:

yes you do need to pay BT for surftime anytime (i am not sure on the price of this, so will agree that its around £25 a month).
then you have to pay the demon isp charge (prices here http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/numbers/midband.shtml), so if you want a connection with no 2hr disconnection and an isp that dont moan about overusage then demon is ok, but at an expense!

so basically: £25 a month for BT Surftime Anytime & £19.99 for Demon premier connect plus.

You can skimp on the cost by going for the cheaper demon package for £11.75 a month and then having BT Surftime evenings and weekends but this then limits your free isp calls to evenings and weekends, resulting in local call charges suring the day (which mount up fast).

hope this was of some help to you Megahy.

Megahy

Pro Member
quite expensive.. but my only option if I don't want a 2hour disconnect etc...

Another question .. Do I need a special ISDN modem ?

Muggins

not really you can use the USB cable that came supplied with your HomeHighway ISDN box, although using a ISDN TA (isdn modem) does increase the speed slightly, more noticeable on gaming pings really rather than surfing the net.

:D

Megahy

Pro Member
ok...

I was just on the phone to MR BT, and he cofused me a little.

Do I have to pay £24.99 a month for ISDN line rental, then the £25 Surftime anytime.. then the £19.99 a month from Demon ?

Thanks for any clarification on this !

Muggins

to be honest seeing how you only require the service to send info and then you receive via a 1-way sat connection, i would personally make do with a normal modem as isdn isnt that much faster at sending info. Well not for that much money anyways ;)

At least that would save you £24.99 a month anyways :D

Megahy

Pro Member
yeah...

I'll see how a 56k modem/sat connection works with programs like Edonkey/Kazza etc first before going for ISDN.

I suppose I don't need the gaming that badly...

Muggins

to be honest, i aint no expert, but I have heard that a one way sat connection is poor for gaming, as the recieve is so much greater than the info being sent (via ISDN or 56k) and therefore you gaming ping will spike badly, someone correct me if i am wrong but thats what i recall hearing...

as for downloading sat is alreet :D

Kyle

ULTIMATE Member
Muggins, you are correct about the lag and spike timing.

However, don't forget that P2P won't always be fast - you can only download as fast as it is being uploaded...

Megahy

Pro Member
I heard that P2P programs such as Edonkey work fine with a 56k modem. Download is still fast.

Set upload limit to 0 and it should be fine. haven't tested myself, but someone else hs previously confirmed this on several occasions.

Can anyone else confirm/deny this ?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2194)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1604)
  5. Politics (1423)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1237)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1071)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (856)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (578)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules