Sponsored

A message to Marcus

Jimbo1960

Casual Member
Call me a cynical old bar steward but........

I weathered the storms and turbulent times of v21/Biscit and can now see what appears to be light at the end of the tunnel.

I must first say that I am impressed by you stepping into the breach. Your response both here and on your web site is clear, well laid out and in plain English. You are either a very astute businessman (with a soul) or you have an efficient marketing team ;)

I now face a conundrum. you are offering the panacea of a MAC (without charge) to allow me the freedom to choose another turkey or you want to tie me into a 12 month contract. But what if you are the turkey?

If you are confident that you can provide the goods, give me an option after 3 months to take a free MAC and run.

I am currently thinking of moving to SKY as I already have Satellite TV. It will be cheaper but will it provide me with a reliable service?

Give me a reason to Breathe. I don't mind a 12 month contract if the service is stable and reliable but I need you to prove that you are up to the job.

The gauntlet is down, are you going to pick it up?
Jimbo

PS: I am sure others who read this forum will add to this thread to let you know if this is a good idea before you get to work tomorrow.

kelbag

Actually thats a good idea, sort of a trial run. I do resent having to sign up for a 12 month contract without actually knowing if the service does what it says on the tin.

If you read most isp t&c's, a lot of them do say that they don't guarentee the service and don't have any penalty clauses for not providing the service you're paying for.

I think a trial should be offered by most isp's, that way if the service is cr*p they know they have to improve

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Actually thats a good idea, sort of a trial run. I do resent having to sign up for a 12 month contract without actually knowing if the service does what it says on the tin.

If you read most isp t&c's, a lot of them do say that they don't guarentee the service and don't have any penalty clauses for not providing the service you're paying for.

I think a trial should be offered by most isp's, that way if the service is cr*p they know they have to improve

So if the thousends of people who use the internet all have a trail before they sign up. Remembering most only stay a few months before moving for no perticular reason. Most ISPs would never have started to trade and all you would have is BT no competition to make it a healthy price.

MPO once you sign upto Breathe then Breathe have to pay Eurisp you take your mac and leave then you are not included in Breathe bill. Hence a trial would cost Breathe money if you left before the 12 months.

BreatheCEO

Free Trial?

Hello there!

I understand people's desire to have a free trial, but the commercial dynamics of the market don't really make it a viable option for one main reason - the wholesaler will insist on payment for their line if a customer decides to terminate before the end of a 12-month contract.

That means that we get hit with the early termination fee, which limits our ability to provide a free-trial period.

However, we're currently providing you with free Internet access and a free MAC code if you decide that you don't want to stay, which is a great deal better than most ISPs would do - especially those previously experienced by the Biscit/V21 customer.

However, I am not excluding the possibility of alternative packages and I will pass your feedback on to our product team - watch this space!

Cheers!

M.

Jimbo1960

Casual Member
I was not suggesting a free trial. If a service is good it should be paid for.
Nither was I suggesting a 3 month getout clause should be available to everyone. Breathe have to find a way to entice 1,600 sceptical surfers to stay with them rather than take their MAC and run.

I have spent the last year wondering from week to week if my internet connection is going to be stable/reliable.
At the moment, I am wrestling with the choice of moving to another ISP with my free MAC (thanks Marcus) or signing up for a year with an ISP who I had not heard of before today.
I wanted a reason to give Breathe a try without loosing my free MAC or being tied in for a year.
It is now down to Marcus to convince us to stay with him.

blane

Casual Member
Good marketing or common decency?

Hi Marcus

Well, I'm impressed. Yes, of course, providing an interim service is a sound investment in a known customer base, with a lot of potential business up for grabs, but it's also a decent thing to do. However, I'm one of those poor beggars apparently tied to the ghost of V21 because of the lash-up created by the lack of planning between Eurisp and Thus (or Your Communications, or whatever else they're called this week) and their quaint habit of batting MAC requests back and forth to one another instead of simply sorting them out. BT is very far from being the best ISP in the universe - I blame them for the slow and sorry state of Net access in the UK - but I've decided to migrate everything, phones included, back to BT, simply to eliminate the risks of Biscit-like disasters occurring again in my world.

So, I'd like my MAC code asap (I've been trying to get it since November) but I thank you and wish you the very best success for the future. Who knows, but when I discover once more that BT can't be trusted to run the proverbial p-up in a brewery, I might even be back to Breathe instead.

Well done, sir.

p_h_p

Hi,

Is their any chance breathe maybe interested in doing a package like below considering us V21 maxsurf customers are a bit wary of breathe although with breathe's help am sure everyone is impressed and extremely thankful.

512kb Broadband - Unlimited download - No Contract - No Set-up but if customer leaves within 12 months you charge the connection fee - This is what fast4.net are providing and as you can expect its an attractable offer.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
If it's that hard / expensive to do, how can Zen offer a monthly contract to all and sundry?
Zen haven't had to pay/ having to pay money for each person who signs up Breathe have to pay Eurisp some money for each that signs up ( or that is how it used to work when a company buys the customer base) so Zen have paid nothing but gain a months internet fee.

VTTV

Casual Member
BT is very far from being the best ISP in the universe - I blame them for the slow and sorry state of Net access in the UK - but I've decided to migrate everything, phones included, back to BT, simply to eliminate the risks of Biscit-like disasters occurring again in my world.
Likewise.

It's easy to criticise BT, but at least they're likely to still be around to take the criticism.

They gave me my MAC this morning, no problems. I've now signed to BT Broadband. The costs are competitive (18 month deal) and I might even get £10 for the "free" router on eBay!

I'd naturally tend to support the small guy - as I did when joining Biscit some years back. I did look at Breathe, based on the contributions made here by Marcus, but was a little (ok, a lot) put off by the message on their website.

"Due to overwhelming demand we have temporarily suspended new registrations until 14:00 on 20 March 2007.

Please check back then for the latest offers!"

That might be total honesty and transparency on their part, but I read the message and thought "been bitten once, I'm off to BT". :shrug:

JeffShepherd

Pro Member
Jimbo1960,

You are experiencing Breathe for free at the moment because they use EURISP just like Biscit did and you are not being billed.

So what do you think of the service so far?

Jimbo1960

Casual Member
So what do you think of the service so far?
So far, I cannot complain. The service has been stable but a little slow (I believe this to be an issue with my local loop and not the core network).

But now I have put the kybosh on things by replying to your question and expect to have no connectivity by the time I get home:rolleyes:
Jimbo

blane

Casual Member
Free but no connection

I'm hugely grateful to Breathe for the service but I can only access it very early in the morning or, like now, late at night. All I want is a MAC code and you won't see me for dust.

stuartp44

Casual Member
Yeh, i am afraid that this has given me a bad taste for small compaines, so i am off as soon as i get my mac :)

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2528)
  2. FTTP (2246)
  3. FTTC (1671)
  4. Building Digital UK (1615)
  5. Politics (1442)
  6. Openreach (1428)
  7. Business (1255)
  8. Statistics (1108)
  9. FTTH (1101)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1054)
  11. Fibre Optic (977)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (917)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (868)
  16. EE (601)
  17. Sky Broadband (598)
  18. TalkTalk (583)
  19. Vodafone (531)
  20. 3G (416)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules