Sponsored Links

A new player...

If you want a free firewall that's not something else from SourceForge then take a look at Ashampoos latest offering as they're beginning to make moves into the arena of PC Security...

http://www.ashampoo-root03.com/webcache/html/1/product_2_0050_.htm

It's not bad. Originally launched as PayWare, the company seem to want to run it as a loss-leader and have relented and begun issuing FREE activation codes for this product.

Judge for yourselves... :p

Certainly looks interesting - thanks. :)

I'm still using Sygate - no updates for that any more, of course - and neither I nor my tired old underpowered PC are fond of ZA. I downloaded Kerio a week or so ago, but haven't run it yet, so I'll give both a try - not at the same time, of course!

I do like the comment that
"current firewalls are getting to be very big programs. Sometimes you have the feeling that you’re installing an entire office suite instead of a basic network tool."

Yes - that is exactly what I feel with some of them. I don't want antivirus built in, I have a separate AV programme, nor do I want half the other "features" of some of these things - all I want is a bloody firewall, thank you! The more gubbins you have all thrown in to one package, the more difficult it is to work out what the problem is if something turns out to be incompatible - with everything separate, you can just turn them off one at a time to find out.

Some of Ashampoos programs are actually excellent (afew years back it was all a bit gimmicky...) but I've slapped this onto a couple of PC's recently and it's certainly better than the native SP2 Firewall and easy peasy for anyone to master.

I also used and loved Sygate Pro 5.5x, that is until I went from USB ADSL architecture to Ethernet, at which point I could no longer make it work - but an excellent product (ruined of course by Symantec purchasing Sygate...)

Anyway, it was just a heads up...:D

Sponsored Links
Mind you AVG also do a Firewall, and their virus killer semed and this was a free one to pick up a virus Norton missed a while back, it's a wonder what some free software can do.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules