Sponsored Links

A phone ideal for 4G/5G testing?

chrisyyw

ULTIMATE Member
Hi all,

Love following the network testing threads on here, with the detailed statistics on network signal guru.

What phone (cheapish) would you recommend for network signal guru and other testing apps?

The One Plus Nord has been recommended to me, any others?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Love following the network testing threads on here, with the detailed statistics on network signal guru.

What phone (cheapish) would you recommend for network signal guru and other testing apps?

The One Plus Nord has been recommended to me, any others?
I use Xiaomi Mi T10 Lite 5G - it's getting a bit old, but it was a good buy for me as I could easily install an alternative ROM, root it and install whatever I needed. Great band coverage. Got it second hand for £150.

1660891046314.png

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10t_lite_5g-10480.php

I use Xiaomi Mi T10 Lite 5G - it's getting a bit old, but it was a good buy for me as I could easily install an alternative ROM, root it and install whatever I needed. Great band coverage. Got it second hand for £150.

View attachment 3121

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10t_lite_5g-10480.php
That's the phone I had before I got my Moto G200 5G Lucian, was a great wee phone.

I got it for it's great band support too, but I was too chicken to try and root it. Mine was £230 new. ☺️

Moto G200 5G - No 3.5mm jack, no FM radio ... what the heck.
At least it has USB3, great for tethering at high speeds.

Moto G200 5G - No 3.5mm jack, no FM radio ... what the heck.
At least it has USB3, great for tethering at high speeds.
Yeah no use for the Jack or FM radio Lucian, keep calm.😁

Sponsored Links
Bluetooth exists and internet radio does too 👍🏻

that's why I don't care there isn't one on my S20+
I liked the big screen and it being a CAT 20 device, that's what persuaded me, oh and the £295 price which was good at the time.😊

I liked the big screen and it being a CAT 20 device, that's what persuaded me, oh and the £295 price which was good at the time.😊
£295 for a device with a modem that powerful new is amazing

Sponsored Links
The phone finder on GSM Arena is one of the best places to find out all supported bands, CAT details etc

If you see any phone you fancy, just check it out there first.

GSM Arena

(y)

I'm following this thread as I might be able to get broadband on 5g from a local Three mast on the building next door. If it worked it would be far cheaper than my copper wire BT deal.

I could sign a one month Three contract to see it it worked but if I could buy a 'really cheap' 5g unlocked phone I could get a PAYG 5g Three sim card and try it in the potential router locations in my home.

I am not sure whether £99 is cheap enough but I suppose I could always sell it on eBay - or even find a use for it. I certainly can't think of a need for a second cellphone but maybe I will come up with one.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure whether £99 is cheap enough but I suppose I could always sell it on eBay - or even find a use for it. I certainly can't think of a need for a second cellphone but maybe I will come up with one.
I recall you saying you had a galaxy S8 on O2..... Maybe it's time for an upgrade too? 5G for £99 is rare.
Smarty has Three 5G and is monthly (no contracts). Offers more per month than three PAYG too.

www.smarty.co.uk

Yes, my cellphone is S8 on o2. I'd want to stay with Samsung. I don't mind moving from o2 as long as I can keep my number.

I have no need for 5g on my cellphone so moving to another Samsung and away from o2 is probably more trouble than it is worth if my prime need is to check whether Three 5g works in my home.

But I am happy to explore and have taken a look at Smarty - but could not find out what phones they offered in their refurbished range.

I'm following this thread as I might be able to get broadband on 5g from a local Three mast on the building next door. If it worked it would be far cheaper than my copper wire BT deal.

I could sign a one month Three contract to see it it worked but if I could buy a 'really cheap' 5g unlocked phone I could get a PAYG 5g Three sim card and try it in the potential router locations in my home.

Perfect test device:

Xiaomi recently changed their update policy:

Thanks Meritez.

Sounds a good bet at the price and I could probably get at least half back on eBay if I could not think of another use.

Now I look at Smarty I realise I am overpaying for my o2 but it's so 'cheap' I would need more than that reason to change. I have been with o2 since it was BT and it has been reliable.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules