Sponsored

a warning to people who are thinking of moving away from fast4

smithy1983uk

with the 15gb a month thing coming into effect i guess some people are thinking about moving away

well just wanted to tell you what happened to me

last month i decided to leave fast4 i did the normal ask for my mac which i got after 2 days. i then put an order into BE broadband a day later i got a email from BE saying that a cease order had been put onto my internet connection from another isp (which comes into effect on the 18th of this month (which just so happens is the day my fast4 account will close) and they could not do anything.

so what i have to do now is wait for this to come into effect and will properly be without internet for a while due to having to get my phone line reactivated again and will have to pay an activation charge aswell

with this 15gb has just pissed me off i thought at least i would have this 60gb to use

Paulplex

ISP Rep
with the 15gb a month thing coming into effect i guess some people are thinking about moving away

last month i decided to leave fast4 i did the normal ask for my mac which i got after 2 days. i then put an order into BE broadband a day later i got a email from BE saying that a cease order had been put onto my internet connection from another isp (which comes into effect on the 18th of this month (which just so happens is the day my fast4 account will close) and they could not do anything.

so what i have to do now is wait for this to come into effect and will properly be without internet for a while due to having to get my phone line reactivated again and will have to pay an activation charge aswell

with this 15gb has just pissed me off i thought at least i would have this 60gb to use
A cease order will not be placed until after the account has closed, if the MAC code has expired or was not initially requested; if you had requested and been supplied with a MAC code, your line should not have a cease order on it. The only way this can happen is if you process your account cancellation 'twice' through your members area.

Can you raise a ticket in your members area so we can look at this further for you? If a cease order has been placed, it should be possible for this to be cancelled and a new MAC generated for you.

Other readers to this forum, please note that smithy1983uk's experience is unique and unlikely to occur to anyone else - however, I'm sure that we can help you smithy1983uk, if you can raise a ticket in your members area about this.

smithy1983uk

the thing is ive already talked to you over the phone about this and you said the cease could not be stoped and i would just have to wait for the order to go and reactivate my line... ill make a ticket anyway and see if it can be sorted

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team

For the ISP to place a cease order on your line with BT after issuing a MAC is against OFCOM rules I would check this out with OFCOM and let them know what was happening to you. If you have copies from BEthere saying there was a cease on the line for the same date then send it to OFCOM.

I remember us highlighting this once before and Paul assured us this doesn't happen.

the thing is ive already talked to you over the phone about this and you said the cease could not be stoped and i would just have to wait for the order to go and reactivate my line... ill make a ticket anyway and see if it can be sorted
Go via OFCOM since Fast4 have failed on their migration rules. I would also go via small claims court for compensation if you have to pay to be reactivated for ADSL since you were requesting a MAC to migrate not cancel. This is what we expected to happen with Fast4 method of moving by making you click on cancel and expressed this fear in earlier threads. ~All other ISPS are told via BT or their suppliers once a customer has migrated away then they just need to stop the billing it is a very simple job to do. To use this method of cancel is cancelling the account and the scripting not being the best is issueing macs and telling BT to cancel at once.

Last edited:

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
A cease order will not be placed until after the account has closed, if the MAC code has expired or was not initially requested; if you had requested and been supplied with a MAC code, your line should not have a cease order on it. The only way this can happen is if you process your account cancellation 'twice' through your members area.

Can you raise a ticket in your members area so we can look at this further for you? If a cease order has been placed, it should be possible for this to be cancelled and a new MAC generated for you.

Other readers to this forum, please note that smithy1983uk's experience is unique and unlikely to occur to anyone else - however, I'm sure that we can help you smithy1983uk, if you can raise a ticket in your members area about this.
If I remmeber correctly you cannot generate another MAC until the present one expires so forcing the customer into another months payment to you when he could have been on the new ADSL2+ and upto 24meg download.

Paulplex

ISP Rep
Kits, your response doesn't help since as I earlier suggested, this is a unique and uncommon problem: in any case Bernard, I've responded to your ticket again to advise that your original MAC code should be valid once again.

smithy1983uk

ill try and place an order tonight where just going out. will tell you how it goes

thank you for your help kits if i do have any more problems ill go down the route you have said

and thank you Paul for sorting this out

its just annoying that ive had to bring this up on a public forum to get anywhere

mc6415

Pro Member
For the ISP to place a cease order on your line with BT after issuing a MAC is against OFCOM rules I would check this out with OFCOM and let them know what was happening to you. If you have copies from BEthere saying there was a cease on the line for the same date then send it to OFCOM.

I remember us highlighting this once before and Paul assured us this doesn't happen.

Go via OFCOM since Fast4 have failed on their migration rules. I would also go via small claims court for compensation if you have to pay to be reactivated for ADSL since you were requesting a MAC to migrate not cancel. This is what we expected to happen with Fast4 method of moving by making you click on cancel and expressed this fear in earlier threads. ~All other ISPS are told via BT or their suppliers once a customer has migrated away then they just need to stop the billing it is a very simple job to do. To use this method of cancel is cancelling the account and the scripting not being the best is issueing macs and telling BT to cancel at once.
Breaking OFCOM rules seems to be coming up alot about fast4 recently

Capped4

Pro Member
Breaking OFCOM rules seems to be coming up alot about fast4 recently
Only the law of the jungle applies when you're fighting for survival!!

(cynical observation , based on opinion not any known fact-disclaimer)

Capped4 reserves the right to change his thoughts and comments (t&c) at the drop of a hat without thought for, or reference to anybody at all. I you don't agree with this, please find some way of contacting me as my email will probably be down when you need it most

KDS

ULTIMATE Member
I have to agree with Capped4, I know bandwidth is costly to ISPs but now days sites like youtube, 4od bbci player etc you can hit 15 gig in a week(family usage) and if you use bit torrent then even 30 gig is not enough. before some one jump in and shouts for downloading copyright movies, I only download HD podcasts other CC stuff using bittorrent

If you are downloading a lot of data then I can only recommend one of the higher package options available; either from Fast4 or other providers on the net.

Bandwidth has a high cost and suppliers are pushing this up - meaning any high limit services are often unworkable, thus meaning ISPs are now limiting service with data caps.

There are alot of legal downloads now available on the net and this is meaning users are now using more - yet suppliers are seeing this and increasing costs lining the pockets of the top tier and causing issues for End users.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
- meaning any high limit services are often unworkable, thus meaning ISPs are now limiting service with data caps
:D Well I guess Fast4 can speak with experience!

PeteK

ISP Rep
Bandwidth has a high cost and suppliers are pushing this up - meaning any high limit services are often unworkable, thus meaning ISPs are now limiting service with data caps.

There are alot of legal downloads now available on the net and this is meaning users are now using more - yet suppliers are seeing this and increasing costs lining the pockets of the top tier and causing issues for End users.
What a load of cobblers.
1. BT Centrals have dropped notably in price.
2. Transit is cheap as chips in volume and certainly isn't rising in price.

I would suggest that your badly worded post should actually read something more like:

To meet a price point and consumer perception we oversold connections on a none sustainable business model which have come to bite us in the bum as folks actually started using their connections to a greater degree, this being to a level which our product pricing would not support.

Anything stated in this post is personal opinion.

sssikuk

smithy1983uk's experience is not unique.
I cancelled my account with Fast4 yesterday. Only processed the cancellation once.
Went to sign up with a new ISP today and recieved:"The telephone number 02XXXXXXXX currently has a cease order in progress.

You will need to wait until 03-04-2008 before placing an order with us."

How unique is that !

sssikuk

Just raised a ticket at Fast4 about this:

Ticket ID: 163438
From: Customer Via: Members Last Entry: 06/03/2008 18:01:38

Wonder how long they'll take to clear it?

IveBeenDone4

Did you tick the "I need a MAC code" box on exit?

I think the system automatically generates a "cease" if you do not check that box, or if you have been provided a MAC through other means and used it with another ISP before cancelling.

Probably dodgy website code......?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2553)
  2. FTTP (2291)
  3. FTTC (1687)
  4. Building Digital UK (1626)
  5. Politics (1456)
  6. Openreach (1444)
  7. Business (1272)
  8. FTTH (1124)
  9. Statistics (1118)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1067)
  11. Fibre Optic (984)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (930)
  13. Wireless Internet (929)
  14. 4G (925)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (542)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules