Sponsored

account locked

need a new IP

Pro Member
well friday just past, i had my account loacked and im anoyed that it happened on a friday with no net connection all weekend - couldn't ndo have cut me off any other day ?

i do remember a email about 2 months ago from ndo saying my card would run out soon - but i din't get my card till a few days before my old card ran out - due to my bank setting up CHIP & PIN.

i joined ndo cos i heard they had a really good coustomer service record and i havent even needed to phone them before and think the connection i have is great - till they cut me off just before the weekend :(

after this i dout i will be staying for a second year.

NDO

ISP Rep
Hello

We try to debit your card a number of times before we lock an account for non-payment. And, if your card fails we send you an email (with PDF attachment) a number of times during these attempts to let you know that the account will be locked if payment is not received and the reason given to us by our bank as to why we have been unable to debit the card for the amount so far.

These emails are sent to both your NDO account and your alternative email address registered with NDO. Are you downloading emails sent to your NDO address so you can see all the notifications we send out regarding billing and service announcements?

Even once your account is locked, simply visiting: www.secure.ndo.com and supplying new credit/debit card details will allow our systems to try to collect the dues again and if it clears this time, the account automatically unlocks.

Kind regards
Doug

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
if his account is locked he can't visit the site ??

miffie

ULTIMATE Member
If you check back to 28-1-2005 in this NDO section of Ispreview you will see my posting titled NDO shows how it should be done . I n that thread I remarked how NDO had sent me a reminder. It is unfortunate for you but I do not think you can really blame NDO because you did not update your credit card details.
Miffie

SusiBiker

Casual Member
Dear Mr NDO...

Talking of locking accounts, what's going to happen because NDO won't supply a MAC key and it says my partner is breaking its T&Cs?

My partner has now had his second warning for using NDO too much. Fair enough, he does use it a LOT.
He received his first warning last Wednesday (20th April) and phoned NDO to obtain a MAC Key that day so that he could immediately go elsewhere. He was told to email a request in which he did. Days go by, and no MAC key arrives.
Another warning: Another phone call, yesterday - "We never received the email...." "Um, oh, sorry we did get it." "You'll have your key by the end of the day." Again, no MAC key arrives.

He went to NDO because he's heard good things about them. Now he's wondering whether his account will be locked for breaking the T&Cs, even though he would have left by now if NDO had got their corporate digit out and supplied the MAC key as requested.

NDO host our company site. Every new email required is a call to NDO to tell them the name and then try to get them to enter the correct password. We've actually abandoned two accounts as it was just too much hassle to try to get them setup correctly. And the Office Hours only? Cute. :(

NDO

ISP Rep
NDO won't supply a MAC key and it says my partner is breaking its T&Cs?

Hello SusiBiker

The email does not say you are breaking the Terms and Conditions, it says the usage is in excess (by a long, long way) of our Fair Usage Policy and so please reduce your bandwdith down a bit.

If the usage is not reduced then the contention on your line will be increased - full details on this on our Users Forum - www.ndousers.com

Regarding a MAC key, if you would like one you need to call us and request it, we also need written notice of the cancellation to confirm it was the account holder (and not a 3rd party/imposter) who requested the cancellation, we cannot accept emails for cancellation notification as emails can be spoofed (as the fake ones from banks testify). When we have this written confirmation then any cancellation fees will be charged and once payment clears you will receive your MAC key via email.

But until we recieve this written confirmation you will not recieve your MAC key.

If you need any clarification of this please call us - on 0870 200 2210 for customer Services.

Thanks
Doug

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Isnt that what the dataprotection act is for to make sure that you speak to the correct person and not a imposter, or is it NDO's way of trying to drag out the migration process so they get more money out of you?

As to the fair usage if NDO are that good why dont they send out a email when the user is approching the limit so they can then ease off on the bandwidth usage?

And i think that a user should be pointed to the part where it says about the fair usage policy instead of just the forums as then you are forcing them to use even more bandwidth than is necessary.

NDO

ISP Rep
Hello

...or is it NDO's way of trying to drag out the migration process so they get more money out of you?

No, it is our way of ensuring we only speak to and accept the cancellation request from the account holder, would you like it if someone "spoofed" your email address and emailed to your ISP requesting cancellation of your service, the ISP acted on it and you then only found out onr day your connection has stopped and you dont know why? This is why we request it in writing - for our customers protection.

As to the Fair Usage Policy, this policy is where it has always been, since we added it to all our Broadband packages back in September 2004, its on our Website - at: http://www.ndodsl.com/en/1/fairdatatransferpolicy.html - there for all to view.

The reason to direct them to our Users Forum is there has been a lot of discussion on this topic and to save going over old ground it is much easier to read it all on there.

The "your over the Fair Usage Policy" emails have only been sent to those very much over the recommendation in the FUP (which states 30gb/month) some of these users were using 120gb+ a month for example, excessively over and hence why they were emailed. Infact the emails only went to 76 users last week and 44 users this week for going exceptionally over our FUP policy; out of thousands and thousands of ADSL users - just 44 users this week being notified for high use isn't exactly many.

Even the recipients of these emails are not having a limit imposed, just if the usage continues to be excessively high, then the contention on their connections will be increased towards the advertised level (either 50:1 or 20:1). The connection remains always on, always available, and without a download limit - all it does have and has had for months is a Fair Usage Policy (which is no different to almost all other ISPs).

Regards
Doug

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
I never said the media of the way of contact but are you not able to ask for details like username etc or even check the headers on the email?

GJH

ManOfMeans said:
fair usage if NDO are that good why dont they send out a email when the user is approching the limit so they can then ease off on the bandwidth usage?

That's precisely what NDO have done.

As yet, only an email has been sent (76 users last week, 44 users this week) to advise that usage is way in excess of their FUP and should be reduced.

NDO haven't actually done anything yet (by way of contention rather than a 'cap') and have simply advised that usage needs to be reduced.

simax

Casual Member
In all fairness though, with competitors (AOL and Pipex for example) offering an UNLIMITED package for less, NDO need to re-adress the limits.

Simon

GJH

Or perhaps they don't depending on how you look at it. Some of the "heavy users" have been nearing the maximum possible for a 512k line during a month!

Although there is a suggested guideline in the FUP, the users who have been asked to curb it a bit are way in excess of the suggested guideline.

NDO have profit margins just like everyone else and a select few are actually costing them money because of the amount they are downloading. This select few are also likely to start affecting the service for all other users.

It's all about being fair.

More here: http://www.ndousers.com/cgi-bin/cutecast.pl?&forum=1&thread=1409 (warning this is a seriously circular discussion...)

Mr_Hat

As one of the "heavy" downloaders I decided to move when I received the first email telling me I was over their cap. That very same day I both phoned and then emailed my request for a MAC key.

A second phone call a few days later (after no MAC key appeared, but another message about my bandwidth usage had) revealed that they couldn't find the email. This, despite my using their own web-site email system to send it. Eventually it was "found" and I was promised the MAC key by the end of business that day.

Two days later, when the MAC key still had not appeared (but yet more messages about my bandwidth use had and I had been placed on the "bad people" server) a third phone call finally yielded some results. The MAC key appeared by email, hurrah!

I arranged transfer to another supplier which was due to be completed on the 9th May. In the meantime, I was stuck on bad person contention ratio, which sucked, but hey, I guess that's what I get for being a Bandwidth Hog (tm).

On the 9th I was duly transferred and now enjoy better speed than I was getting from NDO anyway. Amusingly, I received an email that same day from NDO, telling me I was no longer on the bad boy rate. Woo-hoo! Shame I was no longer using their service. Less amusing was the realisation, a few days later, that I had been billed by NDO again under the "month's notice" clause of their contract. This despite my having an email from customer services which implied I wouldn't be charged if I transferred out before the billing date (12th May). Still, at least I was done with them.

But no, today I received yet another notification that I'm using too much of NDO's bandwidth (though it has dropped now I've not actually been one of their customers for over a week).

I suppose the point I'm trying to get across here is this:

NDO.....nice company, shame about the woeful lack of internal communication and customer service.

Foolishly I also use them as hosts for a company web-site. No nice shiny user interface for you to set up the web-site email addresses there. No, you have to go and phone your email set-ups, passwords etc., in to "technical" services. Ah well, just so long as I remember the "month's notice" clause when the year's contract is up.

Interestingly enough, whilst I was supposedly a data bandito, I never noticed the speed drop at all. You'd think that if, as they say "your continuous, excessively high bandwidth consumption is impacting on our other users" I'd notice a drop off in speed too. Hmmm.

No matter. Gone now to somewhere else that claims unlimited usage.....for the time being. Farewell NDO and Thanks for all the Gigs!

PS: Stop sending me emails about my data usage now I'm no longer a customer!

PPS: You have closed my account now....right? I will be displeased if I find I've been billed again on 12th June....

Mr_Hat

Yep, I went with Zen. Early days yet, of course, but so far I'm impressed by how smoothly things are going. Uprated my connection to 1Mb and that was done within a couple of days, even though the completion date was stated as being a week away.

May try for 2Mb eventually, though I don't think my line will support it, noise-wise.

I should also add, NDO-wise, that they did contact me to check on my account status and I have had an email confirming my account closure. So I'm happy now. :smilet:

cashpot

Casual Member
How do I handle it?

Would someone at NDO tell me how I should handle my card update? I too received a reminder that my card runs out at the end of June. The same day I got a new card but dated to START on July 1.

It has the SAME account number but the small number on the signature strip is different.

Do I need to do anything and if so when should I update my details as if i do it too early then you will read my card as not yet valid and too late you won't be able to get my payment?

Thye above is subject to my not seeing a better offer in the mean time as like many other NDO users I too am fed up waiting to see if you will match the competition for cost and speed!!!

garethh

cashpot said:
Would someone at NDO tell me how I should handle my card update?
Contact NDO accounts/customer services for advice.

NDO don't discuss account specific questions on this forum (or their own one).

You can contact either via their secure website at www.secure.co.com
> Contact.

Alternatively, ring 0870 200 2210 (mon-fri 9am-5:30pm excl. bank holidays) or email customerservices@ndo.com / accounts@ndo.com

I suspect you just leave your current card details as is for the June payment and once the payment has ben taken, you can simply update the card details via the secure website above.

IGS

Hi,
Cashpot, if you study your card more closely and compare it with your original, you will find more than one difference. it is these diferences that may need updateing, not just the 3 digit number on the signature strip.

regards Ian

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
On a vaguely related topic, for the last few months I have recieved an email from NDO saying that they dried to debit my card but couldn't.

Within 48 hours I always get another one saying that they have successfully debited my card.

The card details haven't changed, and this only started 4 months or so ago.

Any ideas why??

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3671)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1197)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules