Sponsored Links

ADSL Broadband Connection Issue

SamMal27

Casual Member
I have an ADSL router which connects to a micro filter then to my phone line.
Yesterday as a result of a few disconnections my broadband speed went down to a quarter of a MB. It normally runs at 2.5MB. Will the speed recover to 2.5MB itself or do I have to regularly reboot the router.
I am concerned if I regularly reboot the router it will drop again to an even slower speed.
any recommendations please?
thank you

Post the router stats, its likely a speed profile that's been put on due to a lower sync rate at the time

Thanks it shows the D/S Connection speed is 550kbps
The U/S connection speed it 653kbps

so the u/s is higher than the d/s
Any ideas as to what I should do ?

I normally get around 2.5MB downstream, not fast I know but better than what I’m getting now

Sponsored Links
Whats the attenuation and SNR on both, I would recommend a reboot after you have checked and then see what they are after the reboot

Whats the attenuation and SNR on both, I would recommend a reboot after you have checked and then see what they are after the reboot
thanks that has helped a lot

before rebooting
D/S line attention was 60dB
U/S line attenuation was 35.90dB
D/S noise margin was 16.9dB
U/S noise margin was 9dB
Connection Speed D/S was 550kbps
Connection Speed U/S was 653kbps

Since rebooting
D/S line attenuation is still 60dB
U/S line attenuation is now 35.8dB
D/S noise margin is now 6.1dB
U/S noise margin is still 9dB
Connection Speed D/S is now 1991kbps
Connection Speed U/S is now 9.0dB

When I do a speed test now I get
1.69 MB downstream
0.62 MB upstream

Are there any issues you see with the stats now?

Any idea as to why it’s better now that I’ve rebooted ? the stats also shows connection was up for more than 24 hours.

many thanks

The previous speed was the max it could sync up at when the connection dropped and it stayed like that till you broke the connection by rebooting the modem. That caused a resync event which then allowed it to get a faster speed, your on a LLU connection not BTwholesale by the sound of it as the BRAS profile wouldn't change instantly like that.

I had a connection constantly for Approximately 36 hours, then a red light on the router, it reconnected but the Sync Rate was 233kbps, very slow again. Is it disconnecting Automatically in order to find a Stable sync rate, the hub it in the test socket with n
The previous speed was the max it could sync up at when the connection dropped and it stayed like that till you broke the connection by rebooting the modem. That caused a resync event which then allowed it to get a faster speed, your on a LLU connection not BTwholesale by the sound of it as the BRAS profile wouldn't change instantly like that.
I had a connection constantly for Approximately 36 hours, then a red light on the router, it reconnected but the Sync Rate was 233kbps, very slow again. Is it disconnecting Automatically in order to find a Stable sync rate, the hub it in the test socket with no other devices connected.
any ideas as to why this is happening?

Sponsored Links
I had a connection constantly for Approximately 36 hours, then a red light on the router, it reconnected but the Sync Rate was 233kbps, very slow again. Is it disconnecting Automatically in order to find a Stable sync rate, the hub it in the test socket with no other devices connected.
any ideas as to why this is happening?

interference the sound of it, if that happens then reboot your router and you should get higher speeds again, your lucky your not on a BTwholesale connection that can take days for the speeds to go back up again

I would be getting on to my ISP and asking them to do a line test.

By any chance do you get bursts of noise on the voice line at times?

are they still doing IPlates (think thats the term its been a while since lve been on normal ADSL) ages ago l had a few issues and it improved things quite a bit. (l had the fastest

interference the sound of it, if that happens then reboot your router and you should get higher speeds again, your lucky your not on a BTwholesale connection that can take days for the speeds to go back up again

I would be getting on to my ISP and asking them to do a line test.

By any chance do you get bursts of noise on the voice line at times?
Does it sometimes need a couple of Reboots to get a good sync rate ? I was worried that would cause m

When the connection dropped this morning I had a red light on the ADSL router. I rebooted and very low sync rate. I left it like that and rebooted this evening and back up to over 2MB sync rate.
I have unplugged the phone from the socket to try and eliminate the problem. I’ve not noticed noise on landline calls. It’s frustrating as I’m now like a lot of people having to work from home. I was amazed that even when the sync rate was 142kbps that I could connect to my work VPN, connection was useable but slower than what I’m used to.
I have unplugged the phone from the socket to try and eliminate the problem. I’ve not noticed noise on landline calls. It’s frustrating as I’m now like a lot of people having to work from home. I was amazed that even when the sync rate was 142kbps that I could connect to my work VPN, connection was useable but slower than what I’m used to.
I rebooted tonight and back up to a 2041 Kbps sync rate.
thanks again

are they still doing IPlates (think thats the term its been a while since lve been on normal ADSL) ages ago l had a few issues and it improved things quite a bit. (l had the fastest
I’ve got the face plate off so I got the connection to the test socket for now

Sponsored Links
Put a new filter on there if you can, then contact your ISP for line tests. There is something wrong if your speeds are fluctuating like that.

If you Need help Mark J maybe able to if your ISP doesn't take it seriously

SSFP's service specific face plate, they are important even more so now to split off the DSL and voice soon as it enters the house.

an update from the recent above problem. The internet has been consistently good at around 2.5MB
But today for no reason I have no broadband.
When I sign into the router page there’s no u/s or d/s
Phone line is working for voice calls. I tried reboot and reset.
The power light & WiFi light is on, but internet light is off.
Apparently there’s no outage.
Any ideas ?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules