Sponsored

ADSL Max and Newnet

Cre@tive

ULTIMATE Member
Well after having ADSLmax on 12th April and waiting the so called 12 day magic training period all is not well...

The problem started as i know most of you are aware when BT and the isp (goes for all isps) didnt inform customer on how to manage the upgrade period.

As a result i rebooted my router many, many times during that period to try and get faster speeds and the router always sync'd at 8.1mb, anyway afetr the period i emailed tech support to be told that the training period is ongoing which i thought odd so sent more emails and also decided to email BTW.

BTW replied with:

" have been in contact with the BT Wholesale High Level Complaints Team on your behalf, who have checked the relevant systems to try & gain a better understanding of your case history, but were unable to identify any fault reports raised against your account in relation to your DSL Max service. They advised that because you have passed your 2 week trial period with DSL Max that your ISP would need to raise a fault report against your account (to the BTW Broadband Assurance Team) in order for further investigation to be carried out."

So i emailed Newnet again with the above response and why my speeds are like a yo yo.. ok after 11.30pm at night (7mb downloads) and then as low as 256k during the day.

The response i got today was:

The training period is varying for some customers. We have predicted (though BT have not confirmed); that this may be due to some customers being placed late onto the training period. There are many other issues which we are chasing with upper BT management regarding Adslmax.
For an indication of the feedback our customers have recieved regarding these issues have a look at the message boards for adslguide.org

Regarding your line however the training must have completed because i have established your capacity data. It is:

Maximum Stable Rate 2272
Fault Threshold Rate 1590

So not great i am afraid. BT have determined your circuit will not support speeds over approx 2.3mb. So how you are getting over 7mb (assuming this was after the training period), is highly strange.

Either way we would not be able to report a slow speed fault to BT unless your speed drops consistently below 1590.
To make matters worse at present BT will only accept fault reports where the service throuput drops nbelow 400k.

So now after emailing BTW who told me to get the ISP to log a fault (they had the same info sent to them regarding my speeds!), and asking my isp to log a fault and being told they won't.. what is the customer meant to do now ?

BTW will not deal with end users normally as it is the ISP who has the contract and therefore has to log faults.

I know that Newnet is not the only isp with customers who feel let down with ADSLmax, but the way isp's are handling the situation is not good.

If i lived miles away from the exchange and had a bad line then i would except it, however my sync rate is still 8.1mb, my line noise is 12 at that rate and i am 500mtrs from the exchange.. there is no reason why i can't get higher than the 2mb they are now saying has been set.

Before ADSLmax i had 2mb broadband which was 100% stable, now i have a connection which is unrealible, vary is speed and if i am happy to wait until after 11.30pm at night i can download at 6mb rates !.. so how can the line be set at 2mb ???

Anyone else want to comment ? and maybe if someone from BTW is reading this then maybe you can put something into action as once again joe public gets stuck in the middle of the support maze.

keithcalder

ULTIMATE Member
Creative mate, trust me I know how you feel. Whilst I have never achieved more than 5000kbps on my router my download speed can vary from 1MB to 4MB depending on the day. I never have a rock solid constant speed and my router resyncs every now and again, just whenever it likes really.

Its about time that we were given some advice from either the Isp's or BTW who constantly scan this forum and are quick enough to point out any wrong doings of its members but not so quick to help!!

I'm about to kick up a stink with my Isp to see what can be done as I've now been on max for nearly 4 weeks and my connection goes up and down more than a fishing boat in a gale of wind.

Keith

Inactive

ULTIMATE Member
Oh don't ...I just got an upgrade with the same ISP as Keith, ( I think ). just 2 days ago, mine has been stable so far, but it shows 8MB on my router, but still only performs at 2MB.

Please don't tell me I have made a huge mistake, my 2MB was absolutely rock solid.

sponix

It must be remembered that ADSLMax is a new and somewhat untested service.

If you are an early adopter then obviously you run the risk that the service won't be stable.

My advice would be to wait until the end of summer before considering transferring to ADSLMax. By then everything should have settled down..

pmilford

ISP Rep
Adsl Max

NewNet is very aware of the problems raised by customers and IS escalating these with BT - through conference call today (Friday 05 May) and via Account Management team.

We are seeing some broad brush average experience that suggests that data throughput is running at around 50% of sync rate. This experience is confirmed by comments from other ISPs.

A number of sample circuits will be selected and passed to BT for 'deep analysis'. We are concerned that we do not yet have MSR and FTR set for some MAX users, even though they have been active for more than the 10 day training period. Again, we have raised this with BT.

Customers should be aware that NewNet is working to escalate problems and to try to find resolution. We do feel that the problems lie within BT's court and that there does need to be some recognition.

Peter Milford
Regulatory Affairs Manager, NewNet plc

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Creative, it seems as if your on something like eclipse have set.

That is, stuck on a contended network at peak times.

If they are saying you cant get more than 2mb, but then you get 6+ after whatever time, then they are blatently lying. Or have inept staff.

bulldog

ULTIMATE Member
I tell you what ... before you email your isp ... do your speedtest from BTSpeedTester and then on your keyboard, hold down Ctrl + Prt Scr/Sys Rq and now open up Paint, when the paint open up, just hold down on your keyboard Ctrl + V and now you can see the snapshot of your speedtest result to show your isp the real proof of 6+Mbps and then 2Mbps. That's the only they can see from your snapshot like a real photography.

That's what I did to my isp, and they had called BT a fault raise because of incorrect upload speed on my router still on 256kbps which it should be 448kbps which BT had changed it within 24 hours and it all done. All thanks for the proof snapshot.

Good luck. :)

My ADSLMAX does go up and down all the times and I am on day 17 now as my average speed get around 3-4Mbps during day, and average speed get around 5-6Mbps. I think it just normal for the ADSLMAX just like my old 2Mbps as I always get stable and rock speed but I can't complaints enough because lucky me I didn't fall below 2Mbps yet on the ADSLMAX.

Cre@tive

ULTIMATE Member
I had a nice phone call from my isp at a senior level today and am happy the issue is being looked into.

As i understand it from not only my own isp but many others this problem is widespread and yes at the heart of it, it is BT who are the underlying problem it would seem.

As long as isp's listen and take customers complaints onto BT (if they allow them) then you can't ask much more.

Hopefully the conference call with BTW today will start to get things moving as the ISP's pay BT for a service that they are not providing.

keithcalder

ULTIMATE Member
I just got an email from my Isp, as I had asked what the MSR was on my line, they said it was currently set at 4MB. This would tie in with my router stats although my router has connected at higher speeds than 4MB.

However my speed never reaches more than 3MB regardless of time, whether its day or night, so I'm still confused.

Keith

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Ask what your BRAS profile is set to that is what controls your speed through BT's network.

Whats your router stats if you can post them here I'll be able to tell you if you can possibly get more speed out of it.

keithcalder

ULTIMATE Member
Hi

Profile is set to 4MB:

router stats, here they are:
DSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 13 db
Noise Margin 8 d 22 db

And a speed test:

Download Speed: 2835 kbps (354.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 375 kbps (46.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Cheers

Keith

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
The Max profiles are not set to any kind of sync speed, it all goes off what your noise margin is so if you have a line that your margin fluctuates alot then that is what is going to give you problems with intermittent connections. As BT have set it to sync at the highest speed it can with a SNR no lower than 6db so if you have any old phone extension sockets that aint being used take them out, to get the best out of MaxDSL you have to have it plugged into the master socket pref with a filtered faceplate and run wireless or ethernet to your computer.

You would be surprised I have seen people get another 3 meg from using the master socket. BT's network allowing the throughput is a different matter.

keithcalder

ULTIMATE Member
My house is less than 2 years old and the BT guy who fitted the master socket ( wait for this one), fitted it ( the master socket) inside my front lobby cupboard which is just inside my front door:confused:

Now why he did this, I have no earthly idea, but I have an extension socket in my living room and one in my bedroom, both hard wired.

I have no phone in my bedroom and have my router connected to the extension in my living room. I did try the router into the master socket (in the cupboard) and it didn't make any difference to it at that time, this was before max dsl was enabled on my line however.

I could plug my router into the master socket but as my front lobby has no power point, I would have to run an extension to the cupboard to power the router, which to be honest would be a pain in the preverbial backside.

So I suppose it will have to stay as is is. I dont suppose BT will give me a visit to move the master socket to the living room where it should be, I suppose it went inside the front door as that's where the wires enter the property and would have been the easiest for him (the lazy sod).

Jeepers why they employ monkeys I dont know, unless of course its because they pay peanuts, I had one engineer visit ( in the days of isdn) who told me I knew more about the technology than he did!!:laugh:

Keith

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Remove the extension you dont use it may make a difference its all about the noise margin now which internal cabling degrades it alot, best way to see is take the face plate off and see if it has another socket behind it and plug your router into that and see what speed you sync at.

Cre@tive

ULTIMATE Member
Well no news yet.. speeds still like a yoyo.. if i do a test in about 30 mins it will normally hit 5 - 7mb download speeds using a tester on the net. Then often 5 mins later will drop.

Speeds today at about 4pm where less than 1mb !

Grrrrrr BT's dslmax

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
BT have released the new product MaxDSL and not improved the ATM network that goes between the exchanges the rest of BTw's network enough or maybe at all and its not coping with the demand that is being placed on it.

Unicast

ULTIMATE Member
ManOfMeans said:
BT have released the new product MaxDSL and not improved the ATM network that goes between the exchanges the rest of BTw's network enough or maybe at all and its not coping with the demand that is being placed on it.
Hmmmm.... not convinced. If that were the case then everyone who's still on pre-adslmax packages would also be seeing massive slowdowns.

pmilford

ISP Rep
ADSL MAX update

An update on the recent issues with ADSL MAX

A number of issues have been identified with ADSL MAX and BT has now indicated plans to resolve them.

It appears that there are problems where some lines have seen their BRAS profile revert back to the profile of the service they regraded from. This will cause delay in setting the MSR/FTR. This is expected to be resolved by the end of May.

We have seen problems where their is no visibility of end user MSR/FTR at the 10 day training period. This will not affect the service as the line will continue to operate at the highest stable rate that it can. BT are working to resolve this issue. Faults will be accepted where the line sync rate falles below that for the service that the user regraded from.

For new lines, BT will accept fault reports where the line sync rate falls below 288 kb/s until MSR/FTR are set.

To date there are some 5360 exchanges providing MAX service to 140,000 plus end users.

At this time I have no further update as to the speed throughput issues and continue to await BT's response.

We continue to press for response to the reported experience of end users.

Peter Milford

Cre@tive

ULTIMATE Member
Well for myself the situation is getting much worse with BT's botched upgrade.

This weekend has seen my lowest ever broadband speed.. 256 and 512.
Considering i had a very stable 2mb before dslmax this is unbelievable.

I am currently keeping a log of all the tests i am doing, one in the morning, evening and late at night.

Before Thursday i was able to get upto 6 or 7mb download speeds after midnight, however since then i cant get above 1mb at all.

BTW what is going on ? .. should i invest in a 56k dialup modem again.. would be more stable than this.

keithcalder

ULTIMATE Member
Unfortunately mines no better either. I'm hovering around the 1MB mark at the moment as well. It goes up and down like a yoyo,:confused:

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2512)
  2. FTTP (2204)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1239)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1076)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (969)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules