Sponsored Links

Advice needed: Three has pulled 5G broadband from my postcode?

Best having 2 seperate ssid's aveitch, none of my smart plugs will connect to 5GHz and some older devices too.

Just include 2.4 and 5.0 in their names so you know which is which.
but if I tell, say, my HomePod to connect to 5ghz it doesn't have the option to drop down since it only has that password, right?

but if I tell, say, my HomePod to connect to 5ghz it doesn't have the option to drop down since it only has that password, right?
Well you'll have to tell it to use your 2.4 connection and whatever password you've set for that if it's different.

You're confusing me now lol

The way mine appears to work regarding the 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz stuff...

With the separate named SSIDs, if you connect to the 5Ghz one then it'll use 5Ghz if you're close enough and the signal is good, it does however automatically fallback to 2.4Ghz even though you're connected to the 5Ghz SSID if the conditions make sense.

2.4Ghz SSID is purely 2.4Ghz.

Well you'll have to tell it to use your 2.4 connection and whatever password you've set for that if it's different.

You're confusing me now lol
Well this is strange. Looking at it with a fresh eye I notice that the network name at the top says "2.4/5 Ghz Wi-Fi name" which seems to mean that it does combine the networks into one that does both.

The other one says "connect to this wifi to use 5G only" so I believe that must be a way of making sure you're always on 5ghz.

It's very confusing though. I wish I could just turn off the 5G only network.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2021-09-22 at 16.13.01.jpg
    CleanShot 2021-09-22 at 16.13.01.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 76
Well this is strange. Looking at it with a fresh eye I notice that the network name at the top says "2.4/5 Ghz Wi-Fi name" which seems to mean that it does combine the networks into one that does both.

The other one says "connect to this wifi to use 5G only" so I believe that must be a way of making sure you're always on 5ghz.

It's very confusing though. I wish I could just turn off the 5G only network
Strangely my tablet will connect as normal to either 2.4 or 5 but when I have preferred on it won't connect to either, so I just use 2 seperate ssid's which I prefer anyway.

No idea what's going on with that one. :giggle:

You can turn off 5GHz by unselecting 5GHz preferred. You will then have two separate options 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Unselect the one you don't want, in this case 5GHz. Don't forget to select the "save" button. After a few minutes your devices will no longer see it.
I have done this on my B818 but deselected the 2.4GHz option.
If you still see two SSIDs, and one of them is labeled as "Hidden", that is the Huawei link option. You can turn that off if you wish from the system settings. Having said that on mine it keeps returning after turning the router off at night and back on again the next day.

You can turn off 5GHz by unselecting 5GHz preferred. You will then have two separate options 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Unselect the one you don't want, in this case 5GHz. Don't forget to select the "save" button. After a few minutes your devices will no longer see it.
I have done this on my B818 but deselected the 2.4GHz option.
If you still see two SSIDs, and one of them is labeled as "Hidden", that is the Huawei link option. You can turn that off if you wish from the system settings.
Thanks. Yeah I definitely want both; I just didn't want the 5Ghz network separate. So I have preferred turned on. The difference here is that with the CPE Pro 2 it still pumps out a separate 5Ghz network for if you want to have a network that's ONLY 5Ghz and this is in ADDITION to the one that contains both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

So I ended up just hiding the 5Ghz ONLY network and now my Mac is connected to the 2.4/5ghz one.

They made it so confusing and needlessly complicated imo.

Thanks. Yeah I definitely want both; I just didn't want the 5Ghz network separate. So I have preferred turned on. The difference here is that with the CPE Pro 2 it still pumps out a separate 5Ghz network for if you want to have a network that's ONLY 5Ghz and this is in ADDITION to the one that contains both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

So I ended up just hiding the 5Ghz ONLY network and now my Mac is connected to the 2.4/5ghz one.

They made it so confusing and needlessly complicated imo.
It is a bit long winded compared to the first CPE Pro I think aveitch.
Apart from that, how are you getting on with it ?

It's good. I'm not sure I'm taking advantage of the speeds yet as I put it in bridge mode and connected it to my Eero Pro (which is pre-wifi6).

However, god it feels good for it to be in bridge mode.

I'm looking forward to getting a new Eero Pro 6 when they become available in the uk.

I have a Huawei CPE Pro 1 and three 5G unlimited and this has worked great for the past year.
I was, however, looking forward to upgrading to a CPE Pro 2 when my contract was up (which it now is).

I use an Eero Pro and have been frustrated by my inability to put the router in Bridge mode which, I believe, the Pro 2 fixes.

When Three called me for another contract it transpired that they now only offer 4G in my neighbourhood (North London) so, despite my modem still getting 5G and me still being on a 5G plan (monthly now) I can't get another contract with them without them sending me a 4G router and being on a 4G plan.

According to them, I'd still be able to use the SIM card which would give me access to 5G but I'm skeptical since, if I sign a 4G contract, I think they'd be within their rights to just cancel that sim and send me a 4G one or just limit my account to 4G; I don't know how it works; there still seems to be some perceived arcane power within the SIM card that the industry has yet to wake up from.

I just checked and, sometime between when I spoke to three a few months ago and today they've actually stopped offering even 4G broadband in my area. The website says "we're on our way" and tries to sell me a MIFI. What on earth is going on?
Are they stopping home broadband altogether?

I can't get any answers out of three. I wondered whether anyone else has had this happen to them. The 5g antennas are still up. I'm getting 5G. But they won't admit it's there or that I'm using it.

I was considering just buying a CPE Pro 2 second hand but they're very expensive. Are there any other options I should consider that would work with a 3 sim? I wouldn't want to do invest in one if I were going to be forced to move to another provider who'd send me a modem for free.

A small part of me, btw, believes that I'm to blame with downloading whopping 50GB torrents etc etc and they're just like "we need to leave the area. We can't cope with this. Why is he downloading all of The Sopranos in 4k?"
One simple question, why do you need/want a new router?

One simple question, why do you need/want a new router?
Simple answer? My contract was up so I knew that, when I got a new contract, they were going to send me another one "for free." I'd be paying the same amount either way so why not accept the new router with the benefits it entails and sell the old one?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules