Sponsored Links

Advice on 3/smarty 5g?

cmal1001

Hey all so i am still currently down the rabbit hole in the quest for super megas. As from my previous threads i am with EE using soap dispenser (NR5103e) and 2 ext antennae in the loft, for the most part i had been getting pretty stable 5g speeds even though i am outwith the 5g coverage area (around 250 down) however i find i am having to reposition the antenna to maintain those speeds, they insist on connecting the one mast and every few months the speeds drop and i have to move them, have spoken to EE about this but their tech team just read off a script, refuse to put you through to level two and as soon as you mention RSSI and RSRP to them they just go dumb.

So anyways i had thought about 3 net work i picked up a freebie 3 payg sim and put a data pack and went up into the loft to do some testing... low and behold the antenna latch onto a 3 mast literally less than 400 meters away hahah but the speed test results are promising yet sad

Here are the best signal stats i could get

B1,B3,n78

4G
RSRP
RSRQ
SINR

5G
RSRP-NSA
RSRQ-NSA
-128 (this sometimes drops to 0)
SINR-NSA

I would say thats pretty decent albeit 4g is just outside the cell.

Anyways the speed tests, i just wanted some input before i make a decision to get a data sim from smarty, so on the tests, the needle jumps right up to around 250 odd super fast before shooting down to about 50 then slow creeping back up to 200 odd comparible speeds to ee but it seems like it wanted to go way way higher

What gives? is this a bad omen? am i stuck with EE forever moving my antennas around?

What do you guys think?

Have you tried without the antenna?

Also, don’t go a smarty data sim order a regular sim for more data for cheaper.

Have you also tried EE without the antenna and also 4G only to see what speeds you get on both Three and EE? It may on occasion perform better.

Also worthwhile with Three making sure the APN is IPV4 only not IPV6 included, remove adult content, and also try ‘3internet’ and ‘three.co.uk’ for your APN addresses.

yea i have taken the router into the loft, its really not a feesible to have it up there albeit the speeds are comparible i'd say a bit less

Sponsored Links
A common reason why loft location isn't considered is due to the perceived problem of running a mains power source there. You don't have to. All you need is a12v DC supply which you can get by purchasing a 12v extension lead and running that to the loft instead of the much heavier 230v a/c supply.
Like this for instance:

A common reason why loft location isn't considered is due to the perceived problem of running a mains power source there. You don't have to. All you need is a12v DC supply which you can get by purchasing a 12v extension lead and running that to the loft instead of the much heavier 230v a/c supply.
Like this for instance:
i have just purchased one as i wouldnt mind trying it in the loft if i can find an ideal position, and i guess this way i wouldn't have any loss running through the antenna cables, its just the issue of running ethernet from the router to the pc but i could always poke a little hole in the ceiling

good shout btw might be the answer i am looking for, as the internal antennas are really good

i have just purchased one as i wouldnt mind trying it in the loft if i can find an ideal position, and i guess this way i wouldn't have any loss running through the antenna cables, its just the issue of running ethernet from the router to the pc but i could always poke a little hole in the ceiling

good shout btw might be the answer i am looking for, as the internal antennas are really good
Flat ethernet cable might work to route through the loft door and avoid poking holes in the ceiling. I got some of this.

My router is in a bedroom window sill. I was able to slip the cable between the skirting boards and carpet grips and it's hidden for most of the run.

Hey all so i am still currently down the rabbit hole in the quest for super megas. As from my previous threads i am with EE using soap dispenser (NR5103e) and 2 ext antennae in the loft, for the most part i had been getting pretty stable 5g speeds even though i am outwith the 5g coverage area (around 250 down) however i find i am having to reposition the antenna to maintain those speeds, they insist on connecting the one mast and every few months the speeds drop and i have to move them, have spoken to EE about this but their tech team just read off a script, refuse to put you through to level two and as soon as you mention RSSI and RSRP to them they just go dumb.

So anyways i had thought about 3 net work i picked up a freebie 3 payg sim and put a data pack and went up into the loft to do some testing... low and behold the antenna latch onto a 3 mast literally less than 400 meters away hahah but the speed test results are promising yet sad

Here are the best signal stats i could get

B1,B3,n78

4G
RSRP
RSRQ
SINR

5G
RSRP-NSA
RSRQ-NSA
-128 (this sometimes drops to 0)
SINR-NSA

I would say thats pretty decent albeit 4g is just outside the cell.

Anyways the speed tests, i just wanted some input before i make a decision to get a data sim from smarty, so on the tests, the needle jumps right up to around 250 odd super fast before shooting down to about 50 then slow creeping back up to 200 odd comparible speeds to ee but it seems like it wanted to go way way higher

What gives? is this a bad omen? am i stuck with EE forever moving my antennas around?

What do you guys think?
If you are able to get 5G NSA to be stable for a time, there should be a location in the loft where a reliable 5G NSA connection is made even if that position doesn't give the optimal signal parameters.

I suggest this as I recently took a Scancom Three UK GBP 6/mth Black Friday deal which was too good to miss, even though Three UK is very bad in my area. I'm also moving from EE to Three UK so got a chance to experiment with external antenna positioning in the loft.

I found that the Teltonika TRB500 and XPOL-1-5G 4X4 was originally only able to make a 4G LTE-A connection in the EE-optimized position but moving it to a historically good position for both Three UK and EE immediately gave a 5G NSA connection without requiring any reconnection or reset which is unusual in my five years or so using mobile broadband.

The TRB500 interface only shows a 5G NSA RSSI parameter and fine tuning for this turned out to be a mistake as it was stable for a time but did not reliably reconnect by 5G NSA the next day. Moving it about 10 cm back to the sub-optimal position (coincidentally in a loop of TV aerial cable and mounted to a satellite speaker stand) now gives reliable connections by 5G NSA.

Hopefully the above report gives some ideas for how to make things better. The Three UK performance I see of 50 Mbps to 80 Mbps with sometimes 35 ms unloaded latency is perhaps not as good as VOXI/Vodafone's >100 Mbps or EE's good performance but Three UK's GBP 6/mth vs Scancom EE's GBP 10.80 made it a risk worth taking and things seem to be positive for my location so far.

Here is a nice picture:
1701275744030.png

Sponsored Links
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £24.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5388)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2222)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1591)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1376)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (916)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules