Sponsored

Advise please...

MissyB

I’m having trouble getting a good enough signal strength at my static caravan which is out in the country. I’m currently trialling a Huawei B311 router from Three but the one bar of signal strength sometimes cuts out. Is there anything I can do or buy to make it a better signal?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I think that router has 1 SMA port for an external antenna, so you could always consider mounting one outside as high as possible (pointing toward the nearest Three mast) and then running it to the SMA port on the inside router (I'd keep the cable as short as possible - maybe 5 metres).

You'll find a number of topics discussing antennas in this forum, such as this one:

Verita

Casual Member
Yes, the B311 HomeFi has one socket for an antenna on the back. It's under the long cover. As a default the B311 has its antenna selection set to 'auto.' You can change this in the settings to internal or external, but 'auto' mostly works OK.

Also metallic-clad caravans are notoriously horrible for radio signals, maybe you can try the HomeFi near a window or rotating it.

To change settings:

You need to log onto the HomeFi with a web browser at:

and use the Admin password. (It's on the bottom of the HomeFi.)

You might also get better results by setting the HomeFi to 3G Only. Try this first. (See pic) The Homefi connection light is dark blue for 3G, Cyan for 4G, red for none. The graphic on the page after you've logged int will aslo tell you the connection type.

Occasionally the 'stick-on' suction cup antennas give better results, but not always. At least you can try one on top of the caravan.

You need one with an SMA connector:

3G/4G settings:

Clipboard01.jpg

MissyB

Thanks you Mark.J and Verita, I will try an aerial and see if that helps.
I hear that the B4RN project will bring a better signal when it finally arrives in my area of Whitfield

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • Vodafone £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2463)
  2. FTTP (2091)
  3. FTTC (1630)
  4. Building Digital UK (1574)
  5. Politics (1380)
  6. Openreach (1376)
  7. Business (1206)
  8. Statistics (1077)
  9. FTTH (1014)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1004)
  11. Fibre Optic (957)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (902)
  13. Wireless Internet (884)
  14. 4G (873)
  15. Virgin Media (842)
  16. Sky Broadband (585)
  17. EE (575)
  18. TalkTalk (563)
  19. Vodafone (497)
  20. Security (402)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules