Sponsored

Advised to disconnect ALL Wired LAN Devices

jaceroo

Casual Member
Hi,

Scratching my head a little today with the advice/request received from Vodafone support. I wonder if anyone can sense check this for me?

I've had VDSL for years and had a steady connection of 34-36mbit/sec with Plusnet, AAISP, Sky and even Vodafone for the last 6 months. I noticed downloading some stuff was slower than usual and checked the router page, I'm now at ~26mbit/sec.

I logged a call with Vodafone support who called me back the next day, it was their second line team who said DLM has capped my connection speed to avoid a fault and they would order a reset from Openreach to try to bring it back up again (if the line was ok).

Everything went quiet for a week and the speed stayed exactly the same. I called them back and got to speak to the first line team. They could see no updates from the week before, so called second line for me...

Bascially, the reset had been requested and rejected that same day. Openreach detected a possible issue with the line and then Vodafone did nothing until I called back. I was asked "did you leave the router connected to the test socket?" unfortunately they never asked me to do this, so did it while I was talking to them... then they asked me to remove any wired LAN connections to the router for a 48 hour monitoring period, before they would re-request Openreach reset the DLM again?

Is this normal? Admittedly I am not a broadband expert but I dont see how my Router -> Switch -> PC and Media server will affect WAN side sync speed? If anything it just seems an inconvience to me as he said I could use wifi as normal and they wanted to "check the sync speed over wifi". I respectfeully declined this bit of advice from them, but now I am questioning myself...

Cheers!

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
This is not normal to leave all no DSL items like sky box or anything not related to Broadband disconnected from the telephone line but not the wired connections to the router.
Anything before the router could cause the sync to drop telephone, xmas lights anythign giving off too much noise. Even things in your neightbours house could have a negative effect on your sync speed.
Sometimes you can trigger the equipment to retrain by leaving the router offline for a long period of time leave it off over night then plug back in next day see if it resyncs at a higher speed.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hi,

Then they asked me to remove any wired LAN connections to the router for a 48 hour monitoring period, before they would re-request Openreach reset the DLM again?

Is this normal? Admittedly I am not a broadband expert but I don't see how my Router -> Switch -> PC and Media server will affect WAN side sync speed? If anything it just seems an inconvenience to me as he said I could use wifi as normal and they wanted to "check the sync speed over wifi". I respectfully declined this bit of advice from them, but now I am questioning myself...

Cheers!
Perhaps their ability to probe your router allows them to test some things at the router level that other ISPs aren't able to do or won’t do, so in that situation they might want to 'clear' your network environment as much as possible just for certainty that nothing else is going to mess it up.

However I've not actually heard of any ISPs requesting this before and think it's unlikely to make any difference. It's more plausible that their front line support staff don't know what they're talking about and are just reading from a poorly written script.

Meanwhile it seems like they still haven't given you any information about what should be the most important element in all of this, the line fault / issue that Openreach claims to have identified. I would think they might want to let Openreach investigate that first before doing anything further.

jaceroo

Casual Member
Thanks for the quick replies,

I think this confirms my understanding and await further explanation from the second line team.

As it stands now I'm connected directly to the test socket and hope they either get the DLM reset or confirm a fault.... then maybe do something about it!

Thanks again.

This advice sounds draconian...or does it? It could be a poorly trained operative given even poorer advice, or it could be that you struck gold and were in dialog with a £50+ per hour EXPERT. (I'm going with option 1)
But let's imagine for a moment that you DID get to converse with such an expert (thus forcing Vodaphone support centre to go massively over budget). Why would he suggest unplugging the LAN cables? I mean, they're twisted-pair aren't they? Surely, of all your cables, they are the best part of your whole system!
OK, but you don't have of one these BT 444B units, do you?
BT444B.jpg
So, you can't actually perform a PEIN or REIN test accurately - a known scenario with the symptoms you report in your OP. This expert may well be familiar with such scenarios, and is aware that with regards to LAN cables, (1) the device on the other end of the cable has a power supply cable of chucking out electrical interference, and (2) one of those LAN cables could ITSELF to damaged. A very BASIC but effective form of diagnostics, when you don't have any test equipment at the site, is simply to UNPLUG everything, and take a baseline measurement over a few hours. Gradually, connecting one piece of equipment/cabling at a time, Dr Watson and Mr Holmes find their culprit.

The fact that you've been with 4 ISPs over the life of your VDSL line, including some "budget" ISPs, tells me that they ain't providing you with a golden ticket to this expert support guy - you're getting a low-wage, inexperienced front-line telephone operate with a basic tech vocabulary and a high-pressure "get 'em off the line" call target. Therefore, I empathize with you for being asked to undertake the ridiculous. Hope they get it sorted for you!
(Then again, you haven't plugged in a cheap set of Xmas tree lights have you?)

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: CHRISTMAS18
  • Onestream £19.95 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.50
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Vodafone £23.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2290)
  2. FTTP (1755)
  3. FTTC (1521)
  4. Broadband Delivery UK (1491)
  5. Openreach (1234)
  6. Politics (1227)
  7. Business (1093)
  8. Statistics (965)
  9. Mobile Broadband (886)
  10. Fibre Optic (881)
  11. FTTH (819)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (813)
  13. Wireless Internet (807)
  14. 4G (768)
  15. Virgin Media (742)
  16. Sky Broadband (546)
  17. TalkTalk (525)
  18. EE (508)
  19. Vodafone (397)
  20. Security (371)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules