Sponsored

Am I being capped

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
I don't know if it is the same thing as capping but I believe the new owners of AOL UK are cramping my speeds. I only surf for the most part, so I am hardly a big drain on resources.

Just now I noticed that a couple of links from Groklaw wouldn't open in Firefox. I went into AOL and tried to open G-mail. That was at least trying; very trying.

So I came here to try a speed test at http://www.ispreview.co.uk/speed/ and things started bumping along just fine.

The AOL site opened and the two Firefox sites accepted a connection when I tried them. Maybe Groklaw isn't the fastest server connect going but Google is usually pretty quick.

Funny how they all pulled their fingers out together. I got the stupid idea that something on the AOL server noticed a speed test was being done and opened the stops. How unlikely is that?

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
Just written for my Mac code and told them I wrote 48 hours ago and got no reply never mind one in 24 hours.

It is a bit of a circuitous tour trying to write to them. A bit like an e-mail version of BT's phone call help service.

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
Can you get a MAC issued by ringing them directly ? I've never had to wait for a MAC , Zen and PlusNet both issued them immediately and my current provider UKFSN issues MACs automatically via the control panel. :hrmph:

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
I just got this prevarication having asked for my Mac code and told them I never got a reply to my first letter:

Dear Member,

Thanks for contacting AOL. It's our aim to help you get the best possible online experience, and you can get further assistance at any time from Live Help, and the dedicated Help Channel.

We will endeavour to reply to your email as soon as possible. In the meantime, you may wish to refer to the common topics below for further assistance.

Common Help Topics

Help

Broadband

Dial-Up

Email &
Communication

AOL Settings

PC Settings

Interactive Help

Resources

Discover AOL

Safety & Security

Your Account

Common Help Topics

Here is a selection of our top member queries:

1. Update payment details
2. AOL Talk information
3. View detailed bill online
4. Update name / address / phone number
5. Change price plan
6. Check online time & usage
7. Reset Account Security Question
8. Check bill date
9. How much does AOL cost?
10 Cancel a pending price plan

And that's about all for now. We hope this mail is of some use to you. If you require any further help, please feel free to visit our online support at AOL Keyword: Help. This offers full information on all aspects of your AOL account, with answers to the most frequently asked questions and links to other helpful resources.

Remember
There's a dedicated team of Agents trained to answer your questions from 8am to midnight, seven days a week on 0870 320 2020. See AOL Keyword: Support Me for details of call charges.

Kind Regards,

AOL Broadband Member Services.

AOL 9.0 is smoother, faster and safer than ever before - and it gives you more tools to use the Internet the way you want. Like AOL Computer Check-Up - a smart tool that you can use to examine your PC for common problems, and get help to fix anything that may be wrong. Video Instant Messaging and AOL Talk allow you to see and hear your friends online as you talk to them, using a Webcam and microphone.

And with improved connectivity, automatic anti-virus protection and faster browsing, you can get more of what you want online and less of what you don't. Get AOL 9.0 now at AOL Keyword: Upgrade

AOL Broadband provided by TPH Services Sàrl, a company registered in Luxembourg under number B122 040 with a corporate address at 65, boulevard Grande-Duchesse Charlotte L-1331 Luxembourg.

This was what I sent them last:

I am considering leaving AOL to get a connection I can use with more than one computer and dabble with Linux. Can you tell me if AOL do that these days or I will have to find new pastures.

Also I wrote 2 days ago about my account setting and have had no reply. I wanted to know why my rate is different from the 2 you publish and if there is a cap on my settings.

I am still waiting for the 24 hour reply?

The original query was prompted by some of the stuff I'd read on the bumph they were trying to redirect me to. And I wasn't going to go on an open topped bus all around that circus once more.

I'll give them a couple of days.

One thing that rubs me against the grain is that genuine AOL e-mails are supposed to come in a blue envelope. This one never and neither have a few from them since the move. I weas never advised of that change.

If they want to give me a wireless router with fantastic speeds I will of course stay with them as I haven't really had a bad experience yet and can not say I will have better elsewhere.

bigrossco

Casual Member
did you notice their limit for downloads (wel im sure its downloads) are now 10GB im sure it used to be "unlimited".....

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
did you notice their limit for downloads (well I'm sure its downloads) are now 10GB I'm sure it used to be "unlimited".....
That was one of the things I originally asked them and which I never got a reply about. I would be quite happy with 10 GB ordinarily as I don't even go to You tube often.

But you are right. AOL was originally unlimited. And it should still be so for me. I have not been informed -much less consulted about any such change if there was one.

I should have, after specifically asking, should I not? There isn't much I can do about it except leave. I am not in a position to sue for reinstatement if there is a cap.

Nor could I find out if they reset one at a later date. About the only thing I can do is check my speeds when I suspect throttling. And even then there seems to be a quirk as things get reset immediately prior to such a check.

Not that I would know for sure.

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
I worte to AOL help about this problem:

--- Original Message ---
Received: 03-05-2008 9:12 PM GMT+05:30
To: aolpayment@aol.com
Subject:AOL billing query
Query:
I can't open certain sites in AOL browser but I can in Firefox.

This is one example:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/speed/

Is there a reason for that that doesn't relate to throttling or something I should have been told about Carphone Warehouse?

And got this reply but not with the AOL blue envelope replies that genuine AOL servers send out:

Dear Member,

Thanks for contacting AOL. It's our aim to help you get the best possible online experience, and you can get further assistance at any time from Live Help, and the dedicated Help Channel. In response to your earlier query I hope you find the following information useful.

Can you try uninstalling in the following order and check if it starts working after any of the steps?

-Privacy Services

-SpamKiller

-Firewall

-Data Backup

-VirusScan

to uninstall the services go to the control panel add/remove programs and select the mcafee secuity center...it will allow you to uninstall ONLY the specificed thing you want

Last step...

Try disabling the McAfee Network Agent:

Click Start -> Run

Type services.msc and hit enter (this should bring up the list of services)

Scroll down to McAfee ...

Find McAfee Network Agent and double click it

Click "Stop" and then "Disable"

I don't necessarily know how to access the first steps, though it all sounds fairly easy, so it will be a learning curve. I don't use any of the McAfee stuff as far as I know though but there is a spam-killer from AOL that keeps finding mail.ru or some-such.

So ... well there is always this....

"If you require any further help, please feel free to visit our online support at AOL Keyword: Help. This offers full information on all aspects of your AOL account, with answers to the most frequently asked questions and links to other helpful resources."

Like I need account help from ClothearsWornout.

Remember
There's a dedicated team of customer service representatives trained to answer your questions from 8am to midnight, seven days a week. Please note that the AOL Member Services support number is changing, until September 30th both 0870 320 2020 and 0844 499 5555 will apply when calling member services and from October 1st you will need to call 0844 499 5555 when calling AOL Member Services. See AOL Keyword: Support Me for details of call charges.

AOL Broadband Member Services

AOL Broadband is provided by TPH Services Sarl, registered in Luxembourg under number B 122 040 with a corporate address at Green Office Park, Parc d' Activites Syrdall 6, L-5365 Munsbach, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Moved from Ireland and India. I would have thought there were plenty of us plebs they could have hired in Stoke-on-Trent if they had to move anywhere.

Rumour has it that the company is the scum of the area. It isn't an asset, whatever else.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2769)
  2. FTTP (2753)
  3. FTTC (1784)
  4. Building Digital UK (1741)
  5. Politics (1664)
  6. Openreach (1621)
  7. Business (1433)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1223)
  11. Fibre Optic (1064)
  12. 4G (1053)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1015)
  15. Virgin Media (1006)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (668)
  19. TalkTalk (663)
  20. 5G (516)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules