Sponsored Links

Amazon Firestick - map TV remote buttons (CEC)

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Hello,

A random one today.

Has anyone managed to teach the Amazon Firestick a new TV remote button?

Basically I don't want to use their remote, I want to use my existing TV remote through HDMI-CEC. For the most part buttons work, except for one very important one - the "menu context" one.

Any pointers?

Before anyone asks, the Amazon support folk were utterly clueless on the subject.

Hmm no and I did once try, but in the end I just got a TV with the Amazon app built-in :) .

Thanks, yeah I still got my tinfoil hat on with regards to smart TVs.. :)
I'm thinking to return the Firestick. This button thing, some other bugs, Kodi unable to run well.. it just doesn't live up to the hype.

Sponsored Links
I have the same issue, it may just be a limitation of the CEC protocol?
My normal TV remote works a treat but the menu button opens the TV menu

Yeah, same here. Menu buttons opens tv menu (as it should really).
On my old Kodi box I mapped the red button for menu context, it was fairly easy. Pretty sure Android supports this.. if I could do the same with the Firestick, it'd be great.

I use Firestick on my two TVs. The TVs are a bit long in the tooth now. Both LG. One Smart one not. The Smart one has now gone dumb as apps no longer supported - although does have HDMI-CEC.

I don't do anything Kodi with Firestick. Apps - Prime, Netflix, Disney+, Now TV, BT Sport ..

I can control the firestick with the TV remote - but the remote isn't brilliant and sometimes takes a second press on a button - squeezing the buttons too hard when batteries were low? Can pretty much do what I want with it. Don't use "Menu context" I think? Is that three lines on the button on the fire stick remote?

In the end, I end up using the Firestick remote - I have programmed the remote to be able to change inputs. The newest LG smart TV as well as pressing input to change input - you also have to press "select" to chose the input or will sit there. With the Firestick I can program this in.
So tend to use the Firestick remote for the TV. You press the Alexa button and say "switch to HDMI 2". Mostly used by my boys to change to the input for the PlayStation.

@uknowiama yes, I have also ended up using the Firestick Remote (and Kodi runs nicely on top of it btw).
In the past 6 months I have not had to use the TV original remote for anything. Learned to live without the context menu in Kodi.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules