Sponsored

An alternative to BT?

Brian L

Casual Member
I just received another hefty bill from BT and a leaflet came with it called, "BT Update" which appeared to have been constructed in as confusing way as possible.
All I want is a simply telephone service and a simple Broadband.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which company is more cost effective than BT for what I want?

Bures

Top Member
I appreciate this is not that relevant, but last Nov I paid my BT rental 12 months in advance,
Feb, I received a bill amounting to 5 pages which was mind boggling.
My daughter who is an Accountant was baffled.
The Indian Call centre when I asked for a break down, hung up on me.
I wrote to BT asking if it could be sent again possibly this time in plain english that anyone could understand.
3 weeks later the letter arrived with an explanation which was once again totally incomprehensible. Fortunately it had a contact number in Durham. A nice Irish chap answered and read this letter on his screen - he agreed it made no sense to him either and the 5 pages of the bill meant I owed them nothing !

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
not allot you can do, unless your in an area where Virgin have cabled, all other suppliers still go through BT.. and in respect to the phone line itself the amount of problems l have heard about with those ISPs who offer phone line services through BT are no better if not worse.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Brian,

It really does depend upon where you live. Try popping your phone number in here and let us know which unbundled services are available (or if any Virgin Media options have 'Yes' enabled).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/checker/

Most ISPs, except perhaps TalkTalk, Orange and AOL UK, are usually better than BT. BE Broadband or O2 tend to be good value, although their prices will go up at the end of this month. Virgin Media is also reasonable, but only if you are covered by their cable service (avoid Virgin National ADSL).

Then there's lots of other small ISPs to consider, such as IDNet, Zen Internet, Eclipse Internet and more.

Vivaciti

ISP Rep
and in respect to the phone line itself the amount of problems l have heard about with those ISPs who offer phone line services through BT are no better if not worse.
What sort of issues are you referring to? a WLR phone line is the same as the phone line BT Retail will sell you, the only thing different is you are billed from a different company at a different price (normally cheaper, our phone line is only £11.40 per month).

DTMark

ULTIMATE Member
I just received another hefty bill from BT and a leaflet came with it called, "BT Update" which appeared to have been constructed in as confusing way as possible.
Can anyone make a suggestion as to which company is more cost effective than BT for what I want?
As it's in the Mobile Phones and VOIP forum, I can describe what we did:

- Had a disagreement with BT over a bill;
- Had the line cut off - resolution was impossible;
- Bought a 3G modem expecting it to be useless and to have to get the line set up again with someone else;
- Found it was just as quick as the ADSL, and so told Zen Internet to go ahead with the planned cease (has since been upgraded so it's twice as quick as ADSL now);
- Signed up for a Sipgate.co.uk VOIP account with a landline number (even with the right local STD code), 5.90 buys 1000 minutes of landline calls, 9.9ppm to mobiles, you can redirect to your mobile, have messages emailed to you - do much more than you can with a landline, basically.

This all works because we get a decent 3G service. So if what you're asking is - can I have a phone service and broadband without BT then yes, it's possible - Virgin Media cable or 3G. Everything else involves BT to some extent though you can save yourself some of the customer service nightmares by using a useful company instead.

If you can get a decent 3G service, don't mind forking out for a DECT phone and if the 3G turns out to be acceptable in speed terms (might be much quicker, might be much slower, might not even work well where you are) then yes, it is possible to go mobile and VOIP, in our case we get faster speeds and cheaper bills.

The VOIP won't work in a power cut. But then, where we used to live, nor did the landline.

frasermcd

Casual Member
I will second the above, I am a firm user of sipgate for my uk incoming calls and very occasional outgoing, I prepaid credit with them 2 years ago. And still have a credit of over £2.50. and never paid a bill.

In fairness I do not make many outgoing calls, except for calls to north america, But the provider i use for that would probably be ideal for many people Vonage offers at around £4.99 per month unlimited calls to anywhere in uk, or an extra pound includes north america. (the reason i use both is because i chose to have Vonage with a us incoming number) but you can just as easily choose any std in uk.)

in summary, telephone services can be very very inexpensive with a the simple addition of a sip adaptor such as the linksys PAP2 and an account from sipgate a £0.00 per month. now you cant beat free.

The advantage with Vonage you still get emergency 999, 911 services.

with regard to power cuts I find this not an issue, I have a UPS in my understairs cupboard, connected to my Router and sip adaptor.

thanks

frasermcd

Last edited:

Petera

Unbelievable opportunity to displace BT. ROLL ON 5G

I cant believe how incompetent BT is. as a communications company they couldn,t be less efficient. What on earth are the board playing at. They will surely crash and burn. Isnt it about time the government did something about this copper wire monopolistic inefficiency....

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
I cant believe how incompetent BT is. as a communications company they couldn,t be less efficient. What on earth are the board playing at. They will surely crash and burn. Isnt it about time the government did something about this copper wire monopolistic inefficiency....
Ever heard the expression "Too big to fail" ????

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2431)
  2. FTTP (2043)
  3. FTTC (1614)
  4. Building Digital UK (1558)
  5. Politics (1358)
  6. Openreach (1353)
  7. Business (1194)
  8. Statistics (1058)
  9. FTTH (990)
  10. Mobile Broadband (987)
  11. Fibre Optic (950)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (892)
  13. Wireless Internet (874)
  14. 4G (860)
  15. Virgin Media (823)
  16. Sky Broadband (580)
  17. EE (566)
  18. TalkTalk (560)
  19. Vodafone (485)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules