Sponsored Links

Android 11 Ethernet Tethering working perfect / Recommend cheaper 5G phone.

EXACTLY what we are seeing here in the country in the US. I had to cancel TM as their 80mbps speeds dropped to 1-2mbps in evenings since they super ovsold their tower. My guess, only about 20 folks can use a local 600-700mhz tower at a time before it gets saturated here...

Visible.com is a verizon owned company to sell 'cheap' phone service using verizon... great for $25/mo unlimited uncapped data etc. Only issue is they TOO have oversold!!! My local tower goes from 50mbps down to 1-3mbps at prime tie when the kids get online!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to O2/Three 😂

there's currently a Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G available for £140 which uses the same chipset as the Realme 8 5G which might support ethernet tethering or be easier to install a stock android rom on

I'm currently making a project to do similar. I bought a Redmi Note 10 5G, but I'm not getting far with finding a custom ROM. It's been a long time since I played with custom Android and I'd forgotten what a sess pool of amateur hackers it is. Almost every download just to get fastboot going is riddled with malware. I'm now going to make a sandbox PC and wipe it once I'm done.

The plan is to mount the phone at the focal point of a satellite dish in the loft. I'll post updates...

there's currently a Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G available for £140 which uses the same chipset as the Realme 8 5G which might support ethernet tethering or be easier to install a stock android rom on

I'm struggling to find any alternative ROM for Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G
Any suggestions most welcome.

from 8-12tb of data in first months i went down to not even 400GB of traffic after 6-8 months time

what you really chasing here: lightning fast speeds (over reception/processing/tethering/modem speeds), stable connections or just a hobby/diy kinda thing?

@BFG ... That's a Mediatek chipset, you'll have problems finding an alternative OS.
Does the original OS support ethernet tethering? Or at least USB tethering..?

1646426092433.jpeg

LOL. Yes, I'm learning this the hard way. Last time I messed around with ROMs was over 10 years ago and there was always a base ROM per architecture that would work on anything, and the model specific ROMs were only necessary for specific features. Seems that's gone now.

I actually picked the phone on the basis of posts in this thread (page 2), but still my decision and I should have done more research.

Anyone want to buy a Redmi Note 10 5G? :p It has an unlocked bootloader ;)

Hi all,

It may already be common knowledge but wanted to let you all know that on most android phones running android 11 you can now do ethernet tethering (via ethernet NOT usb) and use your phone as a 4G/5G modem and connect to any home router via ethernet.

I was all set and ready to buy either a HUAWEI B818 or HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro 2 but won't need to now.

I'm currently using my old pixel 2 xl with a Linksys USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and the ethernet tethering is working perfectly connected to my home router (edge router x). Just to confirm I'm also using a usb c hub with my pixel 2 xl so I can charge the phone and use the ethernet adapter at the same time.

I'm now thinking of maybe getting a cheaper 5G phone that has android 11. Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap 5G phone (under £200?) that has android 11 and a good modem chipset?

From my limited research is seems that xiaomi phones running android 11 have ethernet tethering disabled
Hi Plexman

I'm trying to make the same setup with an 5g android phone as you and I just have a single question. The cable from the Linksys USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, do you plug it into a LAN port or wan port to provide Internet through the router to the rest of your devices ?

Kind regard
Brian K.

Interesting discussion. What I would like is to be able to dock my phone and get the faster speeds of 5G when at home. When am out and about it will fall back to FTTC.
Unfortunately I am an iPhone user. The wifi hotspot is hit and miss to be found? Only the iPad (under same icloud account) just seems to find it and connect - other devices need 2 or 3 attempts. Sometimes need to toggle hotspot on and off. USB tethering is better. Itunes has to be installed on WIN10 PC. But have got it set that when I plug in the iPhone it becomes the preferred choice for Internet over the wire connection.
There is an ASUS router that does USB tethering - but android only. Maybe time to go back to Android?

Interesting discussion. What I would like is to be able to dock my phone and get the faster speeds of 5G when at home. When am out and about it will fall back to FTTC.
Unfortunately I am an iPhone user. The wifi hotspot is hit and miss to be found? Only the iPad (under same icloud account) just seems to find it and connect - other devices need 2 or 3 attempts. Sometimes need to toggle hotspot on and off. USB tethering is better. Itunes has to be installed on WIN10 PC. But have got it set that when I plug in the iPhone it becomes the preferred choice for Internet over the wire connection.
There is an ASUS router that does USB tethering - but android only. Maybe time to go back to Android?

I have an tp link mr600v2 router with VOXI sim and i also got this GL.INET router from amazon uk (GL.iNet GL-MT1300) that supports USB tethering in the WEBUI. I tether my Samsung 5g phone (EE sim) to the GL.NET router then plug a lan cable into the WAN port of the MR600V2. So i get 5G speeds when i unplug my phone the MR600 automatically fails over to VOXI sim.

one thing to note is newer GL.NET routers (GL-AX1800(Flint) WiFi 6)
are going through firmware updates to support openwrt 21 so beware and most likely will take months, and amazon returns are an option to test for 1 or 2 weeks.

Not 100% sure if it supports your iphone
(section 4 Tethering in link below)

I have had both Android S22 5G, Moto G50 5G and iPhone 13 mini tethered via USB to GL.iNet GL-MT1300 Beryl without issue and currently using this in the campervan. (As standalone ideal also for non technical).

However I am using Ethernet tethering in the house. This is so the I can address not powering the tethered phone 24/7 and although I have resolved it for USB it was not elegant. Depends on how old the phone and how expensive it is.

I'm not exactly a network guru but it's my guess that If you're going straight out to your devices via wi-fi then leave it as it is, and look for your router's SSID on your devices' networking menus. I assume you will already have set your wi-fi password.
If you have a separate mesh network it looks as if that will work with the default option as well but you'll need to check your documentation.

I'm not exactly a network guru but it's my guess that If you're going straight out to your devices via wi-fi then leave it as it is, and look for your router's SSID on your devices' networking menus. I assume you will already have set your wi-fi password.
If you have a separate mesh network it looks as if that will work with the default option as well but you'll need to check your documentation.
thx, i am up and running now :)

What was the conclusion for finding a cheaper 5g phone that did ethernet tethering?

By that I mean connecting from the USB socket on the phone to a normal RJ45 socket on a Devolo home plug network. Not using wifi which I think is what people opt for for tethering.

I've been recommended to look at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G.

Would this work?

Well it’s been a year since this thread started. Back then I expected the supply of cheaper 5g routers to come by Christmas. Finally that may be on the horizon. The forum is full of efforts to get the early ones working at the optimum but I am hoping the mainstream will come through soon

As for phones I think the recent announcement from EE regarding prices and the decision not to differentiate between 4g and 5g may indicate that as the chip shortage subsides most phones going forward will be 5g/Cat18+

In my opinion there is little for the average user between the chips more their release date and the quality of the software surrounding them. I have both and both phones behave the same

I am still a proponent of the 5g phones especially on the move as they are likely to get the best out of a mast. But there is life yet for Cat 4 which still performs better on occasion. Hence why I have been using Speedify to switch between them.

You mention that you want to tether to your power line. If it’s your Home I think you may be better looking towards a 5g router. Lots of recommendations on the various threads. You are more likely to have better control of connectivity.

If you go for a 5g phone for a fixed location bear in mind the performance differences of USB, OTG and Ethernet adaptors and the input to the router. I’d also go for a router with load balancing.
If you get great 5g up and down great. But my personal experience over the last year is the phones are thrown off 5g when low data and where it stays the upload bottoms. Some masts are great but we are a long way still from the hype.

LOL. Yes, I'm learning this the hard way. Last time I messed around with ROMs was over 10 years ago and there was always a base ROM per architecture that would work on anything, and the model specific ROMs were only necessary for specific features. Seems that's gone now.

I actually picked the phone on the basis of posts in this thread (page 2), but still my decision and I should have done more research.

Anyone want to buy a Redmi Note 10 5G? :p It has an unlocked bootloader ;)
There's GSI support:

You mention that you want to tether to your power line. If it’s your Home I think you may be better looking towards a 5g router. Lots of recommendations on the various threads. You are more likely to have better control of connectivity.
What has surprised me is the price difference. There are plenty of 5g phones not far above the hundred pound mark - and one at ninety five. When I look at 5g routers they are several hundred pounds - especially the unlocked ones.

Yes I accept they will have more resilience but think of all the other things a phone can do such as letting people talk!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules