Sponsored Links

Android 11 Ethernet Tethering working perfect / Recommend cheaper 5G phone.

any chance you might've seen a 2.5gbps+ one somewhere?
Well, there are dongles online that do 2.5, but I can't find one that also allows to power at the same time which is essential for turning a phone into a router..

random search result

Well, there are dongles online that do 2.5, but I can't find one that also allows to power at the same time which is essential for turning a phone into a router..

random search result

saw that one. looking for PD passthrough too

saw that one. looking for PD passthrough too

If you can't find a 2.5 one on a hub with PD you can always just use a USB hub separately with a separate ethernet adapter.

I'm current using the below usb hub and ethernet adapter together as I wanted to make sure I had a good quality ethernet adapter. Also my pixel 2 xl is not compatible with some of the usb c hubs with build in ethernet like the Lemorele for example.

After being a wally for almost a week, looking and searching for a good device with lan and pd pass through, finding it and adding it to my shopping basket, I've realised that I'm planning on using an iphone.

So I'm back to zero now.

Anyone seen an iphone compatible pd pass through lan adapter that I can use to drain 5g into my router by any chance?

I believe lemorele 8in1 takes internet just from that usb c cable thingy and not from those usb ports on the side. Although, picture shows data transfer from all C's. Me thinks that's 100mb lan too ...

Guess my next choice is the anker 6in1 hub

Last edited:
Err, iPhones dont have USB-C connectors? I also don't know if ethernet over the connector (lightning or USB-C) is a thing that exists in iOS.
Ethernet adapters for iPhones do exist...but you pay the "apple tax". The Belkin Ethernet and PD adapter is £90 ( it allows you to charge the phone via PoE if that goes some way to justifying the price...)

On an iPhone there is only one setting for the Personal Hotspot. So tethering via USB (Apple Mobile Device Ethernet) still means the WIFI is broadcasting (power/heat). Therefore the cheapest option is probably simply to connect wirelessly. If you need an Ethernet port you can use a cheap TP Link Travel router in client mode (dual band one if speed an issue).

Is there any practical advantage of ethernet tethering compared to USB? Distance maybe?

Is there any practical advantage of ethernet tethering compared to USB? Distance maybe?
Distance would be one, another would be compatibility with more devices - if it has an rj45 port it'll work.
Also in my testing I thought I saw slightly lower latency when using the ethernet option vs usb and definitely vs wifi, but I'm just speaking from memories now, needs some proper testing.

Mobile Phones will always be a compromise, even if they have the capability chip wise it may not be accessible as they will be focused on their specific market There is a rumour that Apple will actually drop physical ports altogether on the iPhone 13.

ON similar note, android 11 introduced ethernet tethering in addition to USB tethering. For USB tethering, some of us have to change TTL value to stop our provider from capping speed (5mbps in my case on visible.com) even tho I have 50+mbps at phone...

So we used to SSH in:

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 66

to remove the speed cap limit set by TTL monitoring. But it does not work on pure ethernet into WAN port on same router now. I tried changing -o usb0 to -o lan0 but no good.

Any ideas?

If considering 5G now (phone or router) make sure it covers the 700Mhz band, I think this is going to be important going forward. I have noticed the range of phones being promoted by the providers has narrowed considerably. More new phones coming in the spring.

Current EE 5g coverage map is aspirational and bears no resemblance to what is on the ground.

If considering 5G now (phone or router) make sure it covers the 700Mhz band, I think this is going to be important going forward. I have noticed the range of phones being promoted by the providers has narrowed considerably. More new phones coming in the spring.

Current EE 5g coverage map is aspirational and bears no resemblance to what is on the ground.
Isn't Tmobile the ONLY company promoting their psuedo 5G with 700mhz band? I tried it; best anyone around here in site of the tower got was about 250mbps - that is 4G territory! Besides, for the wide bandwidth required for 5G the 700mhz band is so low if frequency that it can only support a few channels at a time! That ugly truth was apparent come every evening around here as internet usage went up: Tmobile had to physically kick users OFF that band (n71 to us) in order to let new people on! They already oversold the band here in the country sticks! So I would not recommend buying a 700mhz fake 5G band phone - go for the real McCoy - 25ghz bands instead.

Should have added here in the UK n28 where EE will be using it specifically to target indoor and rural.

I was referring to devices still on sale inferring future proof 5G that may not be compatible with the UK network as operators introduce 700MHz (Band 28) FDD, re-farm 3G and repurpose 4G.

Those travelling will have to use internationally common bands which most recent devices support. I thought n71 was 600 we don't use that and we await higher frequency spectrum in the UK. In the UK we will use WIFI off loading in the meantime.

Our network is complex enough in the UK without considering the US rushed sell approach.

Good points. Yes, I believe TM 71n is indeed 600mhz; same difference, too low a freq to give anywhere enough channels for many people multi use.

Isn't Tmobile the ONLY company promoting their psuedo 5G with 700mhz band? I tried it; best anyone around here in site of the tower got was about 250mbps - that is 4G territory! Besides, for the wide bandwidth required for 5G the 700mhz band is so low if frequency that it can only support a few channels at a time! That ugly truth was apparent come every evening around here as internet usage went up: Tmobile had to physically kick users OFF that band (n71 to us) in order to let new people on! They already oversold the band here in the country sticks! So I would not recommend buying a 700mhz fake 5G band phone - go for the real McCoy - 25ghz bands instead.
250mbps on 700mhz is the answer to most peoples prayers here in the UK. Especially for O2 users, lucky if we get 1mbps on a good day.

Once everyone gets 5g phones it won't be 250 anymore, maybe back to 1 mbps :)
EXACTLY what we are seeing here in the country in the US. I had to cancel TM as their 80mbps speeds dropped to 1-2mbps in evenings since they super ovsold their tower. My guess, only about 20 folks can use a local 600-700mhz tower at a time before it gets saturated here...

Visible.com is a verizon owned company to sell 'cheap' phone service using verizon... great for $25/mo unlimited uncapped data etc. Only issue is they TOO have oversold!!! My local tower goes from 50mbps down to 1-3mbps at prime tie when the kids get online!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules