Sponsored Links

Another LTE / 4g antenna question

Boater

Hi
I live on a narrowboat and I'm using a 3 all you can eat SIM in a Huawei B525 router for my Wi-Fi needs. As I move around quite a bit and prefer to be in rural moorings I sometimes struggle to get a signal, it doesn't help that I'm basically living in a big steel box acting like a large faraday cage.
I'm looking to install an external omni directional aerial on the roof to help, this can't be too tall due to low bridges and tunnels. I've pretty much narrowed it down to two, the Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 with a minimum of 2dbi gain

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00C1DGFPS/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?smid=A2ONT36R38A9G1&psc=1

which doesn't seem to be much of a gain or the MIMORAD 4G Antenna which is supposed to have a 6dbi gain

Which one would be best for a boat or is there something else out there that would be recommended
Thanks Gord

Sponsored Links
If you only need LTE then the 7-27 is all you need

2-in-1 MiMo 4G Low Profile Vehicular Antenna with 0.3M Cable
SKU: WBTLPMM-2-03

available online

last item in list.

They are not the cheapest antenna but very well made, very easy to fit and able to stand up to a tough life on the water

If you only need LTE then the 7-27 is all you need

2-in-1 MiMo 4G Low Profile Vehicular Antenna with 0.3M Cable
SKU: WBTLPMM-2-03

available online

last item in list.

They are not the cheapest antenna but very well made, very easy to fit and able to stand up to a tough life on the water

The price isn't too bad, what worries me more though is the 5db gain, I'm wondering if it'll be enough for some of the really rural locations I moor in

I'm wondering if it'll be enough for some of the really rural locations I moor in

You really wont find better gain in an omni - you'd have to go to a directional antenna to get higher gain.

Honestly 5dbi is pretty good - especially if you can be clever and mount the antenna near the router (antenna only has short pigtail cables, so you'll need a couple of m extension coax x2 anyway) keeping these short will be better than a 6dBi antenna with longer cables.

be wary of any antenna claims that are high dB gain - unless it is plotted against frequency a lot of claims are bogus - ie they claim 9dBi but this is at a tiny notch frequency, not in any band you can use.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules