Sponsored Links

Antenna for mast 11miles away.

If it's of any help, I've positioned the Three sites on cellmapper in your area. The only ones I'm unsure about is the two in Thurso - those sites might be switched around, but they're in the right place and cellmapper reports both as having B3+20, so I dont think its a major issue and can be corrected if/when more data is available.

Edit: given those are the sites of Three, there is a high chance that EE is also residing on the same mast, though the cellmapper data does suggest there are more EE sites in general in the area.

If it's of any help, I've positioned the Three sites on cellmapper in your area. The only ones I'm unsure about is the two in Thurso - those sites might be switched around, but they're in the right place and cellmapper reports both as having B3+20, so I dont think its a major issue and can be corrected if/when more data is available.

Edit: given those are the sites of Three, there is a high chance that EE is also residing on the same mast, though the cellmapper data does suggest there are more EE sites in general in the area.
It is yes as yesterday I put in a 3 sim and I was getting around 14mbps so that's the best so far. I also noticed its lighting up 4g+ so am I right in thinking any external antenna will need to cover 800mhz-1800mhz.I have found my phone isn't actually locked to my provider so I will put the sim in that and do a survey with mast data and cell mapper.

If you lock to band 3 when using the 3 sim you'll most likely improve on that figure. That's using 1800 Mhz only and not 800 Mhz. You will not get 4G+ though but should be faster.

Interesting, never seen that in the two places I find myself. Very occasionally it will be about the same as band 3 when both bands selected or on auto'.

However further to my statement earlier about the rabbit ears not doing much I found myself refitting them yesterday here (in a three no service area) as I noticed the signal had changed. Most probably due to the tide/weather as I get the signal from a mast 24 miles away. Marginal change but enough to make a difference. In my other location which is in a service area (but not in a three broadband postcode) they make no difference or can reduce the signal unless positioned precisely.

Interesting, never seen that in the two places I find myself. Very occasionally it will be about the same as band 3 when both bands selected or on auto'.

However further to my statement earlier about the rabbit ears not doing much I found myself refitting them yesterday here (in a three no service area) as I noticed the signal had changed. Most probably due to the tide/weather as I get the signal from a mast 24 miles away. Marginal change but enough to make a difference. In my other location which is in a service area (but not in a three broadband postcode) they make no difference or can reduce the signal unless positioned precisely.
Had 60gb on the ee card so been using that up but last night I inserted the 3 sim at about 1:30am, band 3 on its own was about 16mbps, band 20 on its own would not connect. Both bands combined I hit a maximum of 28mbps.With the sim in my mobile as the router doesn't give cell Id, it appears to be connecting to these masts about 15 miles away.
Screenshot_20210217_102129.jpg

Sponsored Links
I find it a bit strange B20 wouldn't connect in your router, I'd have expected that to be easier to get than B3. And with you saying with both bands the speed is higher than B3 alone - suggesting aggregation - was 4G+ showing?

Your phone might be doing something different to your router and its being allowed onto B20 (from one of those masts you circled), but flapping over to B3 from the other. Only knowing the CellIDs that have been connected to will show which bands from which masts are being used.

I find it a bit strange B20 wouldn't connect in your router, I'd have expected that to be easier to get than B3. And with you saying with both bands the speed is higher than B3 alone - suggesting aggregation - was 4G+ showing?

Your phone might be doing something different to your router and its being allowed onto B20 (from one of those masts you circled), but flapping over to B3 from the other. Only knowing the CellIDs that have been connected to will show which bands from which masts are being used.
Ye 4g+ is lit when using both bands, I thought it would pick up 20 easier as well. Ye sadly there is no option with this router to see cell ids

After a lot of trial and error moving the router around the house it seems the position I have it in is the only position that gives decent speed. Everywhere else was a huge drop off in speed ie 1mbps or total disconnection. This is also the only window that has clear line of sight to the mast I suspected it was connecting to so I'm very confident now that is the one. It is 15 miles away so given this and the fact I have line of sight would I see a decent improvement with a mikrotik LHG LTE6 kit. This kit has carrier aggregation as without it I'm fearful of actually losing speed as when I switch to just one band the speed nearly halves.
Screenshot_20210219_004811_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules