Sponsored Links

Anti-Virus + Spyware analysis.

Howdy chaps/chapessesesesessss!

Seeing as I've not really changed my security stuff in quite a long time, I'm wondering if I could get an analysis on if what I currently use is still fine.

Currently, I'm using the following:-

Regcleaner - Delete excessive reg entries
Spybot - Spyware
Ad-Aware - Spyware
AVG 8 - Anti-Virus

At the moment with Aquiss, I'm with the Home 30 package. Seeing as I'm not exactly riddled with extra cash and that I've never had much trouble with my security, the post was basically just a summary check of the applications I currently use :p I'm basically just looking for the free software protection range products.

I'm just not 100% sure that the ones I'm currently using are the absolute best from the free software range.

Sponsored Links
Looks good to me Triad, though I didn't know that 'RegCleaner' was still being developed? Last I heard a few years back it had been stopped but I haven't checked since. Been using the free RegSeeker myself, which seems pretty good provided you don't let it become too agressive with your registry.

I was recommended Regcleaner by a friend back in my college days...and that was...errr...6 years ago? :p

My first PC, I've had one of those 'Essential Downloads' program where I've kept all codecs/fonts/chat software/mp3 software/adobe plugins/drivers/ etc. etc....and regcleaner is in there somewhere....big mess I'll tell you that :rolleyes: Mainly just get Regcleaner to delete 'Orphan' entries.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to consider turning off AVG Seach-Shield (part of the Linkscanner component).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/avg_scanner_skews_web_traffic_numbers/

I have google set to show 100 results, and I can't see any benefit for me in "AVG search-shield" downloading and scanning 99 pages I won't be visiting.

One search I tried as a test was for "PDF" which resulted in search-shield downloading about 40MB+ of data. see:- http://www.badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4740.0

Sponsored Links
I much prefer Avast over AVG as a free AV solution.

I tried Avast a while ago, and it really slowed my PC down. My PC isn't exactly a super-computer (p4, 2.8Ghz) but it shouldn;t have had as much of an effect as it did.

I use avast! and it makes no difference to the running of my desktop or laptop. But then again, I only have 2 out of 7 engines running

Sponsored Links
Newer AVG does have an extra process or two running if I recall correctly...might try Avast later.

I posted a similar question and got good response from this forum.I dont know about this i want to know about from others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy chaps/chapessesesesessss!

Seeing as I've not really changed my security stuff in quite a long time, I'm wondering if I could get an analysis on if what I currently use is still fine.

Currently, I'm using the following:-

Regcleaner - Delete excessive reg entries
Spybot - Spyware
Ad-Aware - Spyware
AVG 8 - Anti-Virus

The bottom three are all decent programmes (as long as they are updated regularly). I don't know much about Regcleaner, but I do recommend C-Cleaner, which is FREE (you do not need to make a donation). It is an excellent, trustworthy & popular registry cleaner, file cleaner, startup manager & more. :)

Sponsored Links
All the programs mentioned are good ones.

However, having only one malware program is not always a good idea, Spybot does not pick up everything, and sometimes, even when it detects things, it cannot get rid of them.

I run Spybot, but I also run Malwarebytes, and keep the link to SDFix and ComboFix handy in case of a serious infestation.

CC Cleaner also has a few stable-mates that are also very good, Defraggler is one I use a lot.

All good, all free.

The bottom three are all decent programmes (as long as they are updated regularly). I don't know much about Regcleaner, but I do recommend C-Cleaner, which is FREE (you do not need to make a donation). It is an excellent, trustworthy & popular registry cleaner, file cleaner, startup manager & more. :)

Are you that desperate! this thread was last posted in in 2008 2 years old this is the trick spammers normally do.

Please check dates before posting those who started this thread haven't even visited the forums since: 15-07-2008 04:02 PM

You seem to be learning the ways of the spammer :rolleyes:

I must be a bit naïve

Are you that desperate! this thread was last posted in in 2008 2 years old this is the trick spammers normally do.

Please check dates before posting those who started this thread haven't even visited the forums since: 15-07-2008 04:02 PM

You seem to be learning the ways of the spammer :rolleyes:

I must be a bit naïve, as I had no idea that it was not "the done thing" to reply to a thread that was started 1 year 10 months previously. I saw that Mark J had participated in the thread & I assumed there was no problem in replying to it. However, if you don't want anyone to reply to an old thread, why don't you just LOCK or DELETE it? Then people like myself & Captain_Cretin cannot accidentally upset anyone.

Perhaps you would explain to me (I genuinely cannot understand the points you are trying to make) why I would be "desperate" or "learning the ways of the spammer" :confused: . You are welcome to PM or email me, if you prefer. :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules