Sponsored Links

Any ceiling mount wireless access points with physical on off switch?

tommydog

Pro Member
I am looking for a ceiling mount wireless access points with a physical on off switch. Is anyone aware of any that exist?

Never seen one (not to say they don't exist though, access to the power switch could be interesting). My suggestion would be a Poe one and then either a managed switch (gives the ability to power off a port on the switch) or a physical switch controlling the poe power injector.

PoE injector perhaps with a simple smartplug for a tenner that can switch on/off power on a schedule or using an app. Might actually be simpler/cheaper than a manged POE switch.

Edit: just realised this could end up in a loop where the smartplug loses WiFi. Doh 🤣

Sponsored Links
PoE injector perhaps with a simple smartplug for a tenner that can switch on/off power on a schedule or using an app. Might actually be simpler/cheaper than a manged POE switch.

Edit: just realised this could end up in a loop where the smartplug loses WiFi. Doh 🤣
An old school timer socket might do the trick if they want it off during certain times, like at night. 🤣

Actually smart switches can still work. My home network is centralised on a wall board in my garage on a UPS. I have a PoE AP (used for IOT) and PoE to two Mesh units currently controlled by WIFI Smart switches by maintaining the basic router 2.4 WIFI (also used for some of the security). The basic concept is to be able to turn off WIFI when not needed and isolate by mains switch when on holiday.

Idle power consumption (products vary):
  • Analogue timer about 1W
  • WIFI smart switch about 2W
  • Zigbee/ Z-Wave around 0.5W

Sponsored Links
Actually smart switches can still work. My home network is centralised on a wall board in my garage on a UPS. I have a PoE AP (used for IOT) and PoE to two Mesh units currently controlled by WIFI Smart switches by maintaining the basic router

I don't actually have a router with wifi, as I run wireless access points. The router and everything is in the loft. I know in the 90s there used to be a few "smart plugs" that worked off their own radio frequency and not wifi. wonder if anything like that is still available?

Yes basic RF remote/mains switches are still available (cheap options eBay and Amazon but check safety). As with all wired electricals you need confidence, example https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUR303.html

In the inevitable move to bloated WIFI there are also devices which while being configured by WIFI/phone app still behave as a basic RF switch by remote.

However most of these are two wire. Most PoE injectors I have seen either have a 3 wire kettle lead or an 3 PIN plug transformer. So if centralised PoE then would something like this help?

I use the TLC Quinetic stuff (as linked by @Meatball ) in various places, ( but not wifi connected as I like separation & can control all my POE devices from the wired POE switch.) & it works well.

Wonder if you can get anything that works without your wifi network? using its own radios?
To be fair I’ve not actually tested mine (TP Link Tapo’s) will work when the WiFi is unavailable - as I’ve setup my WiFi to be as available as possible (ups backup of PoE switches etc).

But as pointed out they should still work on a preset schedule without WiFi - you just lost the ability to interact with them and switch on/off remotely etc whilst there’s no signal - the working schedule set should still continue until they’re otherwise programmed.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules