Sponsored Links

Any cheap data sim only deals?

You can use whatever sim on whatever way you like, a phone sim will work no problemo in a router as there is a law which stops them from controlling what device you use it in.

This is interesting to know. Since when did this apply? Is it a recent thing?

Where is this law detailed? I’d be interested in getting a link to it because even the phone companies dont seem to know about it.

It seems as if the people who work for the mobile companies dont even know if their own sim can be used in a 4g router. I asked someone from EE and was told they do data sims and standard sims. The data sims being more expensive. A data sim is for use in tablets, mobile broadband, 4g routers, etc, whereas regular sims are for phones only. Other companies similar.

Virgin mobile told us there‘s a mobile sim for phones and another sim for mobile broadband, if a standard phone sim is put into a router it will be switched off after a short period. I’ve also seen it mentioned that some sims don’t even allow tethering, never mind use for internet data only.

Its all very confusing!

People are just not aware of this. According to the EU Open Internet Access initiative operators cannot dictate how you use that sim or in which device. All devices and all traffic to be treated equally.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/open-internet

Ofcom ruling made it formal in 2018:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofco...mpetition-bulletins/all-closed-cases/cw_01210

Of course, now that we are out of EU, operators are lobbying Ofcom to change the rules of the game.. I guess all good things must come to an end.

The data sims are for people who don’t realise the aforementioned then the phone companies use them as a cash cow for a few more quid than they get out of mobile sims

It is silly really, they need to start being more transparent to users/customers.

My Three UK Unlimited everything SIM at <£5pm is happily working very hard in a router, and I have another one in a phone, there's no way I'd pay more just because they call it a data SIM. Imagine your electricity supplier trying to charge you more for energy you use in your kettle vs your TV, or something equally as daft.

Sponsored Links
I had a 12 unlimited everything SIM, I kept complaining because the internet was generally unreliable as you all know what it can be like on Three. I was already out of contract and the complaints team offered me it for a fiver or just to leave. I of course took it for a fiver but then stupidly cancelled it a year ago.

One thing to note though is every few years they do a culling of all of these ridiculously priced SIMs and migrate them to more expensive options so it doesn't last forever.

I uploaded a blank photo and getting this £10 unlimited everything. 40-50mbps solid most days.
You will end up charged £35 a month if they found out u are fraud blank upload they will catch u at the end. U're have been warned!

do phone sims need to be activated in a phone first before using in a router or are there sims which work right away?

What about when the network sends a txt msg containing the settings, would a router automatically apply the settings?

Sponsored Links
You don't need to activate in a phone usually.
Regarding the "settings", you sometimes need to correct the APN manually, as the router doesn't always pick up the correct one, especially for MVNOs. That's usually the biggest gotcha.

A SIM is a SIM it will work in a router, I have a VOXI SIM working in a Router at the moment..

Hope this helps..

Strictly speaking not true - a sim is not a sim - a network can restrict it to only working with any specific IMEI or group of them, and can lock out by manufacturers to make use in some types of device - like routers.

This is something 3 used to do. I had issues with it incorrectly identifying a Lumia handset as a router, and they did for years do this. There was a legal thing that eventually ended that practice, mostly, but I just wanted to clarify that the statement that a sim is a sim eg implying it will always just work, isn't actually the case.

@Blu3fire @Bubblesthefish6 how did you guys get such cheap deals in the first place?

Just shopped around for the best deals, Affordable Mobiles was the place I ended up getting them from, as they had a great cashback deal, and a low initial cost as well, and then there was secondary Quidco on top of that.

Keep your eyes open, but if I see anything near as good I'll @ you in a thread. :)

Have you looked at Three? I've been using their unlimited sim only service in a Huawei 4g router for over 18 months. They don't object to hospotting or care whether it's in a router or a phone. I typically use around 500gb per month but it has gone above 1tb before now without a peep out of them. Some people have said they need it to be activated in a phone first but I got mine already activated. I did have to put it in a phone once or twice to turn off (ahem) adult filtering.
Current unlimited price is £16 for a year's contract.

Smarty, which is a subsidiary of Three, is the same for a monthly rolling contract but I have no idea if there are any fair use policies so you might need to check the small print if you consider them.

I was just going to ask that😊
My motto is never buy off the internet unless it’s urgent/no other way. Always ring sales or CS first and they will give you a better deal. Be kind to the rep, make small talk and make it known you want a good deal! The basics of social engineering really.

I found my deal on the hotukdeals.com website, it's great for all kinds of things.

I got my VOXI sim card and put it straight into my 4G Router and it works fine. You can go into the Router settings via website and read and send text messages too.

OK guys, thanks for all the suggestion.. We’ve gone with Smarty 30 day rolling contract (using the three network) for £10/30gb per month. They call it a data sim so should be no problems. They had 70gb/£14 and the unlimited deal but needed to keep the cost down. Its a much better price than the current virgin £12/6gb deal. Just hope Three are ok in this area.

Can anyone tell me what the APN settings are that someone previously mentioned might be required?

Would any other settings need changing? Just want to be prepared in case it doesn’t just work.

That's not too bad pricewise, but we burn through 30gb in a day usually.

APN:

Name: Smarty
APN: mob.asm.net
User name: [leave this field blank]
Password: [leave this field blank]

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5507)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2534)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2259)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1970)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1661)
  11. Virgin Media (1615)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1458)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules